On 2017-6-14 at 3:01 AM, audio.bill said:

Frans (the recording's mastering engineer) has stated his clear preference for the DXD files as being the best, but if you have a DAC that excels at DSD you may prefer the DSD conversions. I simply stated "I think that preference will likely come down to whether the DAC being used excels in PCM or DSD" which is not a statement of fact. Sorry if you found my input less than helpful. Good listening in whatever format you choose!

Hi AudioBill 

I found your reply very helpful. I think you are absolutely right. What I mean is you will have to have the recording in both formats, DXD and DSD, to know which sounds best on your system.

I guess that on Sound Liaisons system it will be the DXD since their recording system is build to record DSD.

On 2017-4-30 at 0:27 AM, PAP said:

I must say I find this download very impressive. This really sounds as if being there. The label has a very good track record. Their previous releases has all been 96 pcm, and very very good indeed but this DXD takes it all up a notch.

If this is exemplary for DXD recordings then that is what I will be searching for.

DXD recommendations please!

CSTB300shadowv2.pngSound Liaison; Carmen Gomes sings the Blues. 

Native DSD seems to have embraced DXD. And I wonder if anyone can hear the difference between a DXD recording converted to DSD 256 or one recorded straight to DSD. I  understand that the Carmen Gomes recording was recorded straight to tape as well. Would be interesting if Sound Liaison would release the tape version in DSD next to the version converted from DXD.

• 2 weeks later...

That's  a good combo those 2 free test files from Sound Liaison and Native; intimate vocal Jazz/Blues and Symphonic orchestral.

On 4-7-2017 at 4:02 PM, PAP said:

Sound Liaison has released a comparison download. They use the Aul ConverteR to convert from DXD to DSD. http://www.soundliaison.com/all-categories/6-compare-formats

compare 2017.png

1 hour ago, bmoura said:

NativeDSD also has Free Test Tracks from various albums in Stereo and Surround DSD (up to DSD 256) and DXD in their "Members Only" section.  Available to download at no charge to compare formats and bit rates. 

You need to create an account with your email address to access them. 

595c1cc4305af_TestFiles.thumb.jpg.bcba8bdaa0b648b721a2327ee3caf232.jpg

13 DSD Test Tracks

(DSD 64, DSD 128, DSD 256 & DXD Stereo & Surround Sound)

https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation

Mendelssohn Session

(DSD 64 & DSD 128 Stereo)

https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/mendelssohn-session

Mahler Symphony No. 3 Outtake

(DSD 64, DSD 128, DSD 256 & DXD Stereo & Surround Sound)

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JLBFOMahler3-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-d-minor

• 5 months later...
On 27-6-2017 at 3:08 AM, bmoura said:

Speaking of comparisons, be sure to check out the newly remasfered Stereo SACD of the original Belafonte Sings the Blues album from Analogue Productions.  Outstanding! 

5951aff0ec668_Cover-All.thumb.png.3e6a3573cb7d8799c83d1a2a5582f4a7.png

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/98991/Harry_Belafonte-Belafonte_Sings_The_Blues-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

Yes comparing the two albums shows what a marvelous job Carmen Gomes Inc. has done making that remake.

A number of songs are remarkably better in the new version;

• 1 month later...
On 15-1-2018 at 2:36 PM, PAP said:

Yes indeed. real music real musicians.

That is maybe the only positive thing about people getting everything for free on the internet. The musicians are forced to play more concerts in order to survive.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, elcorso said:

Yes, only crazy advertising statement !!

Roch

At least Carmen Gomes on her  BandCamp site plays it completely straight, she does not even mention that the albums are actually audiophile must haves, just in small letters that;

This album is also available in various audiophile formats at

http://www.soundliaison.com '

. A complete steal these at $7.

a2564954823_16.jpga0357569984_16.jpg

a3921658130_16.jpg a0642215549_16.jpg 

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2018 at 4:39 AM, MetalNuts said:

A new DXD album from soundliaison

image.png.21fc039a15ee232d3d030bfcaa47e150.png

Great very listenable album.

I remember having a discussion with a friend as to if there existed good audiophile recordings with a back beat. He did not convince me then but this album does!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 1:40 PM, PAP said:

This sounds absolutely  incredible. One microphone...it blows away a whole lot of modern multi microphone recordings.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:08 AM, MetalNuts said:

Yes, indeed.  Incredible.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:56 PM, PAP said:

On some tracks the vocals are bit further back in the mix but I think the vocals on i.e. "Summertime" is absolutely stunning.

The repertoire is also more laid back than on "Sings the Blues'' but i'm happy that it is;  ''Where Can I Go'' , ''Sweet Lorraine'', ''How Long''...these are superb interpretations....

And indeed they probably cannot fix anything in the mix as with a multitrack recording, but the benefits are obvious,  it sounds so very real. As if the band is in the room. I hope they will  issue more recordings done in this way.

CarmenOMR300shadowv2.pnghttps://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/408-carmen-gomes-inc-dont-you-cry

On 2/10/2019 at 4:27 PM, JoeWhip said:

It is a very fine recording to be sure. Plenty of room ambience and excellent tone. The cymbal sound is as good as it gets. Two points though. I don’t think that Carmen’s singing is up to the standards set in her other recordings. A bit pitchy on the last track. Her vocals are beautifully captured though. She is right there in the room with you. The bass solos sound superb as the bassist apparently brings the bass closer to the mic, as it would appear from the liner notes. When not soloing, they are a bit recessed for my taste. The other is the drums. The drummer is playing more softly than he would if the set was multimiced. With the one mic, playing louder would overwhelm anyone else. This release highlights the pros and cons of the single mic approach. All in all, I enjoyed this release and it is the best single mic recording I have ever heard. Well done.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:11 AM, MetalNuts said:

I agree and the vocal seems not as good as her previous DXD but it is still better than some so called "audiophile voices" albums.  It may be due to the inherent disadvantage of a single microphone setup.

It´s a fantastic recording.

On the louder pieces the vocals are indeed a bit further back, but on the softer songs like ``Where Can I Go Without you" her singing is as good as ever. And I agree with Joe that it is the best single mic recording I have ever heard.

Drums and bass especially sounds superb.

The biggest problem I have with this recording is that when I put on a normal ''multi mic'' recording  after having listened to this one, it sounds so unnatural 😊  I sure hope they continue with this way of recording.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 4:21 PM, HIFI said:

I contacted sound liaison and gave them my comments.  They asked for feedback. 

I suggestet more “One Mic” recordings as I found it incredible.

Your feedback counts so .... Please recommend they expand in “One Mic” disciplines. 

I must say that I expected more definition on recording room details and ....yes...met my expectations.  What I wasn’t prepared for was the separation and space around musicians.  I think they are onto something very special. 

Happy listening !!!

On 3/10/2019 at 9:59 PM, JoeWhip said:

After getting over a head cold, I was finally able to sit down today and listen to the new Witmer Trio release. Sonically, Frans hit it out of the park with this one. As with their first release, this group has some interesting and appealing takes on tunes. Very nice and a very natural sound. It has none of the shortcomings I noted above with the Carmen Gomes one mike set. Sensational bass and drums. The piano and violin sound perfect. Well done.

I agree and I have responded, yet I must say that the new Witmer Trio album, sounds incredible as well, a friend of mine called it 4 dimensional 😊 not surewhat she meant but anyway,  I'd prefer if they will continue with the traditional approach as well as the phenomenal one mic recording.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:59 AM, PAP said:

Carmen sells the 16/44 download as well as the redbook CD on https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/.

It's almost half the price of the 24/96 and almost 3x times cheaper than the DXD than on the https://www.soundliaison.com/  site.

I personally do like the sound of the 24bit and I like to have the original master format, DXD in this case, when possible.

Do you convert you 24/96 back to 16/44 before you listen? Do you like that sound better?

The 24/96 was only $10 when the introduction offer was on, just like the Witmer Trio album is now as we speak.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 3:05 AM, danadam said:

A new SoundLiaison album: Juraj Stanik - I Wonder (solo piano, one mic record)

spacer.png

23 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

No, most are multi mic’d. I have had this one for a week in 24/192 and it sounds fantastic. Working on a new article about these recordings now.

Listening now. It is very good indeed. Juraj Stanik is a superb musician. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/22/2019 at 10:25 AM, blue2 said:

Seems to be available only on CD so maybe posted on wrong thread? SQ seems very good though. 30 second samples here

ECM recordings are available as downloads and streaming at various places.

I have yet to hear an album which have not been well recorded from that company.

Music is maybe a bit ''difficult'' at times but SQ is always top.