Jump to content

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I must say I find this download very impressive. This really sounds as if being there. The label has a very good track record. Their previous releases has all been 96 pcm, and very very good indeed but this DXD takes it all up a notch.

If this is exemplary for DXD recordings then that is what I will be searching for.

 DXD recommendations please!

CSTB300shadowv2.pngSound Liaison; Carmen Gomes sings the Blues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like classical, the new Mahler Symphony No. 3 from Budapest Festival Orchestra:

 

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/38817-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-dminor

 

is available in DSD64, 128, and 256, but was mixed at DXD, which is the source for all the DSD conversions.

 

I downloaded the DXD 5.0, and it's wonderful - it's also 25+ GB!


John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - MacMini running Roon Server > Airport Extreme > Airport Extreme > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > iFi Audio xDSD > MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed

Home Theater - Mac Mini running Roon Server > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Pioneer Elite SC-81 > MartinLogan Motion series home theater speakers + M&K subwoofer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2017 at 5:40 PM, jhwalker said:

If you like classical, the new Mahler Symphony No. 3 from Budapest Festival Orchestra:

 

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/38817-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-dminor

 

is available in DSD64, 128, and 256, but was mixed at DXD, which is the source for all the DSD conversions.

 

I downloaded the DXD 5.0, and it's wonderful - it's also 25+ GB!

 

Oh good to hear!

 

Do you have any other Mahler 3rd's in your library? How does this Fischer performance compare?

 

I have the Zander, MTT, and Chailly on DSD and probably a couple other Redbook versions.

 

I'm a little daunted by the almost $30 price tag too, to be honest. I usually try to find my SACDs under $15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're a bit obscure, but most of the DXD purchases in my library are from the Norwegian label 2L. You can sample quite a few tracks at this site: http://www.2l.no/hires/

 

I've discovered and bought some really fantastic music here. My personal faves:

1. Arnesen Magnificat

2. Ola Gjeilo: Piano Improvisations

3. Hoff Ensemble: Quiet Winter Night

4. SPES

 

Have a listen to the samples and see if anything strikes your fancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, austinpop said:

 

Oh good to hear!

 

Do you have any other Mahler 3rd's in your library? How does this Fischer performance compare?

 

I have the Zander, MTT, and Chailly on DSD and probably a couple other Redbook versions.

 

I'm a little daunted by the almost $30 price tag too, to be honest. I usually try to find my SACDs under $15.

It is only now in my later years that I start getting into Mahler. I used to find him too much.....sugar?  So this is my 1th version of the 3rd. but I will explore some of your suggestions. thanks,:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PAP said:

It is only now in my later years that I start getting into Mahler. I used to find him too much.....sugar?  So this is my 1th version of the 3rd. but I will explore some of your suggestions. thanks,:D

 

Keep in mind, I was talking about DSD versions, not DXD, which is the purpose of your thread. None of the versions I own are available in DXD that I'm aware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Milan said:

If you search for DXD at the Native DSD site  ,https://www.nativedsd.com/   94 albums seems to be available.

 

 

Yes, 94 in Stereo DXD and 45 in Multichannel DXD.  

 

Their latest Stereo DXD release is by a new group Paper Motion with an album of progressive rock in DXD and DSD. 

 

https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/TTK0006-paper-motion

 

 

 

Edited by bmoura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, christian u said:

wow. I guess you are happy that the cost of hard drives are going down:D

 

Yes, the ever dropping cost of hard drives and NAS storage means that we can download and enjoy high resolution Stereo and Surround Sound music files without the need for data reduction (MP3, AAC, DTS, Dolby, MQA, etc).   Good news indeed ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2017 at 3:44 PM, jhwalker said:

 

My 1.5 hour Mahler No. 3 was 25GB ;)  Sounds great, but . . . wow.

My DSD256render copy :D is 39.3GB and one of the largest files I have.

Edited by Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson

Music in the Round

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2017 at 5:40 PM, jhwalker said:

If you like classical, the new Mahler Symphony No. 3 from Budapest Festival Orchestra:

 

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/38817-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-dminor

 

is available in DSD64, 128, and 256, but was mixed at DXD, which is the source for all the DSD conversions.

 

I downloaded the DXD 5.0, and it's wonderful - it's also 25+ GB!

 

Was there a discount code I missed? I want to get this, but not loving the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2017 at 4:20 AM, austinpop said:

 

Was there a discount code I missed? I want to get this, but not loving the price.

Patience....Summer sales are coming:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2017 at 0:27 AM, PAP said:

I must say I find this download very impressive. This really sounds as if being there. The label has a very good track record. Their previous releases has all been 96 pcm, and very very good indeed but this DXD takes it all up a notch.

If this is exemplary for DXD recordings then that is what I will be searching for.

 DXD recommendations please!

CSTB300shadowv2.pngSound Liaison; Carmen Gomes sings the Blues. 

Only two days left off the 33% discount on the flac files. But I do recommend the DXD version if your DAC can handle it, even though it is only a 20% discount on those files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read that article on NativeDSD and they make a reasonable observation that the codecs might be what is the source of the effect.  That said, my operating principle is that if ever hits PCM, then stay with PCM. So that would imply that I would always by the DXD when available...  But I have to admit that DSDs just sound better on my system (mostly).

 

The remastered jazz on 2xHD sounds awesome in 2xDSD (I can't play 4x yet).  The Sundquist/Mortensen recording Tundra on Lawo in DXD is stunning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oso said:

It is maybe also a question of what your DAC is good at....no? One DAC is better with PCM and another with DSD?

 

That's why it's good to try out some sample music downloads in different formats and bit rates before buying. 

 

For example, the Free Downloads in the "Members" section on NativeDSD Music have sample music tracks in multiple versions (Stereo and Multichannel DSD 64, 128, 256 or DXD).  Just set up a free account and download some samples to see which sounds best on your system.

https://members.nativedsd.com/

 

On the DACs and Players I have with DSD and DXD, the DSD tracks sound better.  Even when they come from DXD edited masters or DXD recordings.  Not what you would expect but it turns out that way here. 

 

Also, some PCM DACs do not play DXD files.  So be sure your DAC does play them before buying. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Teac NT-503 plays DXDs and  DSDs (up to 2x) just fine.  Still evaluating DACs that can do 4xDSD.  What I like about 4x is that is pushes the quantization error far out of the audible range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, fredlobo said:

My Teac NT-503 plays DXDs and  DSDs (up to 2x) just fine.  Still evaluating DACs that can do 4xDSD.  What I like about 4x is that is pushes the quantization error far out of the audible range.

 

The good news is that many of the newer DACs with DSD are coming out with DSD 256 included. 

Check the NativeDSD Database for a complete list at the DSD DACs and Players tab

http://www.nativedsd.com/database 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...