IGNORED

DSD Has Better Dynamic Rage = Misleading

On 25.04.2017 at 10:39 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just read this post on DSD Guide about DSD and dynamic range. The post is a bit misleading, especially the sentence, "For me this analysis clearly shows that DSD has the best DR values."

I left the following comment (see image), that's awaiting approval to be published.

http://dsd-guide.com/music-lovers-creates-his-own-test-for-dynamic-range-no-surprise-dsd-wins#.WP-jL4nysUF

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 2.34.45 PM.png

Absolutelly. It is necessary to separate dynamic range of music and dynamic range of resolution/medium.

Dynamic range of music is matter of record mixing/mastering.

Higher resolution of medium give more potencial (it is not guaranteed) for the wider dinamic range.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

On 02.05.2017 at 6:06 AM, tailspn said:

As formats, DSD has +6dB greater dynamic range than PCM.

I reduced it to 0.4 dB. Though in the settings possibly add headroom value:

sigma-delta-modulator-settings.png

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

21 hours ago, elcorso said:

The reason?

In the posible settings, are those minus, like in -6 dB ?

Thanks,

Roch

Hi Roch,

-0.4 dB used for maximal amplitude using. It was accepted by number of test files (test signals and different musical ones). This headroom provide stability for known me audio stuff (that was converted since 3-rd generation of filters was released).

If used wide filter band mode (Settings > General > Filter mode "non-optimized wide resampling filter"), there is higher probability of break stability due overload. Especially for DSD 64.

Though I still don't got reports about break stability issue since wide mode was released.

If output file contains silence or constant oscillation, need to increase attenuation.

I suppose, 1 dB must cover all cases. For more fine tuning 0.1 dB may be used Main window > Levels > Output file volume slider (if it is available in used edition/configuration).

If you want to convert DSF files with "standard" headroom, you can set attenuator to -6 dB.

Best regards,

Yuri

P.S. Besides amplitude limitation, other efforts for modulator-stability improving are used in AuI ConverteR.

aui-converter-settings-wide-filter-mode.png

aui-manual-gain-control.png