IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

Thankfully I have the power to delete posts about orders numbers and other random bits.  :/  Just trying to keep the thread a little focused on thoughts and questions about the product. (Yes, I know this is the "Launch thread" and I'll start other pre-and-post purchase product question threads--and then an eventual Listening Impressions thread as usual.)

So how is it going so far?  Just GREAT!  :D

200 units in 30 minutes!  Wow.

Just 30 more ISO REGENs left for web order in the first batch (Boards for 250, but 10 are going to Vortexbox.uk and another 10 are for a couple of other dealers, for spares, and for press.)

There should NEVER be any doubt about if you made it into the first batch or the second, etc.  Our product web pages ALWAYS have notes right below the "Add to Cart" button about when you will receive your product.

So once these last 30 ISO REGENs are spoken for via orders, I'll change the note to indicate that pressing the AddToCart button at that point will result in an order that will be fulfilled in early-June.  I can't think of any way to make it any simpler.

THANKS EVERYONE!!  

--Alex C.

P.S.  We are confident everyone is going to enjoy the ISO REGEN, but as with every product launch, the work has just begun, and I'll still be nervous until lots of people have them happily playing in their systems.

22 minutes ago, Superdad said:

P.S.  We are confident everyone is going to enjoy the ISO REGEN, but as with every product launch, the work has just begun, and I'll still be nervous until lots of people have them happily playing in their systems.

If the iso regen is as good as the regular one, you have nothing to be nervous about. I am sure it will be a blast. Can't wait to hear it.

:D

@Superdad

Alex. Like with what John says regarding losing galvanic isolation if the MicroRendu and ISO Regen shares the same LPS-1 power supply, does the same go for if the ISO Regen and Singxer SU-1 shares one?

I know the ground from the ISO Regen will make contact with the SU-1's USB Input, however after XMOS, the signal goes through digital isolation chips and pulls new power from the internal power supply. If this power supply is also run from the LPS-1, doesn't both sides of the boards become linked due to shared ground?

Also, the ISO Regen takes 6-8V whereas the SU-1 takes 5V. Using a split power cable, how can I properly power both units with one LPS-1? Do I need to use a voltage drop resistor for one device when the LPS-1 is set to 7V?

And finally, Is the 90 degree rotated USPCB your most recommended configuration for use with the Singxer SU-1? I tried looking at it multiple times and doubt that horizontal placement of the ISO Regen behind the SU-1 can be made.

Cheers,

Timothy

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 
2 minutes ago, Energy said:

Also, the ISO Regen takes 6-8V whereas the SU-1 takes 5V. Using a split power cable, how can I properly power both units with one LPS-1? Do I need to use a voltage drop resistor for one device when the LPS-1 is set to 7V?

alex has previously said that it is not possible to use a regen/iso regen with the su-1 off of the same lps-1 because of the voltage differences.

i'm pretty sure he'd say you can give the resistor a try but you'd be on your own.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, Energy said:

@Superdad

Alex. Like with what John says regarding losing galvanic isolation if the MicroRendu and ISO Regen shares the same LPS-1 power supply, does the same go for if the ISO Regen and Singxer SU-1 shares one?

I know the ground from the ISO Regen will make contact with the SU-1's USB Input, however after XMOS, the signal goes through digital isolation chips and pulls new power from the internal power supply. If this power supply is also run from the LPS-1, doesn't both sides of the boards become linked due to shared ground?

And finally, Is the 90 degree rotated USPCB your most recommended configuration for use with the Singxer SU-1? I tried looking at it multiple times and doubt that horizontal placement of the ISO Regen behind the SU-1 can be made.

Cheers,

Timothy

Yes if you do manage to power the ISO REGEN and the SU-1 from the same LPS-1 you will be bypassing the isolation in the SU-1, but you still have the isolation in the ISO REGEN.

Alex has previously responded to the question about voltages and the SU-1, make sure to find that post for the details.

John S.

Can you please advise as to the effect that the ISO Regen will have by using it with a streamer and DAC as opposed to a computer? I realize that a streamer (Aurender N100H) is effectively a computer; however, they are / should be designed for better isolation. But, I'm not really sure to what extent this is the case. Secondly, what about plugging into an Isolation Power Transformer (like the Torrus) instead of an LPS-1 power supply; or, would including teh power supply in between make a difference??

6 minutes ago, consult_paul said:

Can you please advise as to the effect that the ISO Regen will have by using it with a streamer and DAC as opposed to a computer?

I am using a Regen, powered by an LPS-1, on the USB out of an Aries femto (then into an Audiophilleo) and it does make a difference :) 

can't wait for my Iso Regen to be here :D

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thankfully I have the power to delete posts about orders numbers and other random bits.  :/  Just trying to keep the thread a little focused on thoughts and questions about the product. (Yes, I know this is the "Launch thread" and I'll start other pre-and-post purchase product question threads--and then an eventual Listening Impressions thread as usual.)

So how is it going so far?  Just GREAT!  :D

200 units in 30 minutes!  Wow.

Just 30 more ISO REGENs left for web order in the first batch (Boards for 250, but 10 are going to Vortexbox.uk and another 10 are for a couple of other dealers, for spares, and for press.)

Will Audiostream and Digital audio review (Darko) be getting review units in this first batch? :D

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yes if you do manage to power the ISO REGEN and the SU-1 from the same LPS-1 you will be bypassing the isolation in the SU-1, but you still have the isolation in the ISO REGEN.

Alex has previously responded to the question about voltages and the SU-1, make sure to find that post for the details.

John S.

Thanks John!

This is what I know so far:

BEST) ISO REGEN and Singxer SU-1 powered by separate LPS-1's

I figure this would be the best configuration, but I, alike many others do not have the funds for it.

Given your explanation, which of the three combination would you say is technically superior?'

1) ISO REGEN and Singxer SU-1 powered by LPS-1

2) ISO REGEN by stock SMPS |  Singxer SU-1 by LPS-1

3) ISO REGEN by LPS-1 | Singxer SU-1 by stock LPS

1) Being powered by the same PSU, digital isolation on the Singxer SU-1 is no longer functional.

Perhaps it's no longer required as the ISO REGEN already does a better job?

PRO:

• Clean Power
  • Full Galvanic Isolation (from USB)
  • 100% AC Leakage Current Isolation is provided for BOTH devices

CON:

• Possible noise from the ISO Regen's output is now connected to the SU-1

2) Being powered by separate PSU's, digital isolator's from devices are fully functional.

PRO:

• Clean Power
  • 100% AC Leakage Current Isolation is provided for the Singxer SU-1 only
  • Digital Isolation Between Both Devices

CON:

• ISO REGEN does not gain benefits from AC leakage current isolation offered by the LPS-1 due to the use of stock external SMPS
  • ISO REGEN may bleed AC leakage current into Singxer SU-1 (and DAC thereafter)
  • ISO REGEN may not perform as well due to using a SMPS instead of a LPS

3) Being powered by separate PSU's, digital isolator's from devices are fully functional.

PRO:

• Clean Power
  • 100% AC Leakage Current Isolation is provided for the ISO REGEN only
  • Digital Isolation Between Both Devices

CON:

• Singxer SU-1 does not gain benefits from AC leakage current isolation offered by the LPS-1 due to the use of an internal LPS, however has less overall leakage current when compared to SMPS
  • Singxer SU-1 may bleed AC leakage current into the DAC
  • Singxer SU-1 may not perform as well due to using an internal LPS

Now to my understanding, the ISO REGEN already regulates clean power from the Linear Tech. LT3042 voltage regulators to feed the Singer SU-1's USB Input (XMOS). With the isolation barrier working due to the use of separate PSU's, wouldn't it be best to use the LPS-1 to power the Singxer SU-1?

For someone intends to use a converter like the Singxer SU-1 after the ISO REGEN, wouldn't the improvements of the LPS-1 feeding the ISO REGEN be less significant than if it was used on the SU-1?

Cheers,

Tim

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 
12 minutes ago, esmit said:

I hope Sonore and Uptone wait some time before launching the ISO-LPS-microRendu, I have to recover from spending 900 euro ;-)

Didn't you know someone already let slip of the 'ISO Rendu'? SFP (ethernet optic fibre input) and ISO-Regen rolled into the IsoR with sonicorbiter 3.0 OS which features a whole new set of enhan...(snip)

1 hour ago, Indydan said:

Will Audiostream and Digital audio review (Darko) be getting review units in this first batch? :D

I am very sure they will get one for a review, because both sites are very important selling points for Uptone Audio. I wonder why other magazines don't write about this device. Perhaps Uptone Audio is not a company with enough money to advertise in those magazines, like HiFi News, Audio, Stereoplay and so on. Or am I wrong?

54 minutes ago, Energy said:

Now to my understanding, the ISO REGEN already regulates clean power from the Linear Tech. LT3042 voltage regulators to feed the Singer SU-1's USB Input (XMOS). With the isolation barrier working due to the use of separate PSU's, wouldn't it be best to use the LPS-1 to power the Singxer SU-1?

For someone intends to use a converter like the Singxer SU-1 after the ISO REGEN, wouldn't the improvements of the LPS-1 feeding the ISO REGEN be less significant than if it was used on the SU-1?

Cheers,

Tim

WOW fantastic understanding of the situation, it really nice to know that people are starting to "get" this stuff.

All three block leakage loops from the computer to the DAC. #3 still has a leakage loop from the SU-1 PS to the DAC, so I would not recommend it. Both #1 and #2 have no leakage loops. So it comes down to #1 or #2. My gut feeling is that #1 might be slightly better, but it is close so either one could be the best. Really it is going to come down to trying them in real systems.

John S.

34 minutes ago, jos said:

I am very sure they will get one for a review, because both sites are very important selling points for Uptone Audio. I wonder why other magazines don't write about this device. Perhaps Uptone Audio is not a company with enough money to advertise in those magazines, like HiFi News, Audio, Stereoplay and so on. Or am I wrong?

For once it will be nice to find out for myself before they do..... 

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

WOW fantastic understanding of the situation, it really nice to know that people are starting to "get" this stuff.

All three block leakage loops from the computer to the DAC. #3 still has a leakage loop from the SU-1 PS to the DAC, so I would not recommend it. Both #1 and #2 have no leakage loops. So it comes down to #1 or #2. My gut feeling is that #1 might be slightly better, but it is close so either one could be the best. Really it is going to come down to trying them in real systems.

John S.

Thanks so much John, you are a ton of help!

Concluding questions if you may.

I thought #2 would still have a leakage loop due to use of the SMPS feeding the ISO REGEN? Wouldn't the outputted signal from that device to the Singxer SU-1 carry a leakage loop or is it neutralized at the asynchronous XMOS receiver or through the digital isolation stages of the SU-1?

If you stand by your word that #2 contains no leakage loops, then wouldn't #2 be better than #1 as each device utilizes it's own separate power supplies despite the ISO REGEN taking in a lousier SMPS?

I presumed that the SU-1's digital isolator would be beneficial in separating the reclocking circuit from it's input circuit as well as the ISO Regen's circuit. If the ground's are tied together, this would not be possible.

Unless powering both units up with the LPS-1 has more to gain than the isolation itself?

In that case, is noise coming from the ISO REGEN and into the SU-1 not as big deal of a deal as it's noise floor is already low? I don't know too much about ground loops, but wouldn't something like this be considered one and thus be considered undesirable? 

Cheers,

Tim

=  ︿  = 

Coming late to the thread, so just to be sure, I can use the LPS1 to power both the SU1 and the ISORegen?  Full 7Vs I assume, and a simple Y DC power cable to power both?

And what to use to power the MRendu properly in this whole chain of power supplies?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

And, to complete the picture ..  any possibility on sharing a LPS1 with booth an isoregen and a SMS-200?  I am currently using a LPS1-REGEN + sotm battery supply+sms-200 and am not totally happy with the results.. 

phil (ISORegen ordered!) 

Moon 780v2+Moon 700iV2 + Etherregen/farad3+ AfterDark Emperor crown/Farad/AD highend clock cable/AD ground box/Denali v2/Larsen 8.2 speakers /All shunyata cables ((anaconda/Python/sigma/alpha)+ optical 1475 FCP

9 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Coming late to the thread, so just to be sure, I can use the LPS1 to power both the SU1 and the ISORegen?  Full 7Vs I assume, and a simple Y DC power cable to power both?

And what to use to power the MRendu properly in this whole chain of power supplies?

Power the SU-1 and IsoRegen off 5v from the LPS-1 via a y cable 

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

45 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Power the SU-1 and IsoRegen off 5v from the LPS-1 via a y cable 

Gotcha tboooe, I guess I'll have to use iFi power for the MRendu.  

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

The Singxer SU-1 was not designed to accept 7V DC power input onto its main board.  There is one small chip on the SU-1 downstream side circuitry (with the various outputs like I2S, coax, etc.) that is wired directly to the +5V output of the internal LPS, so if you feed in external +7V that chip will at minimum be running over spec.  I would not recommend doing this.  There is a reason why the SU-1 internal LPS outputs +5V instead of the +3.3V needed by most of the chips.

Separately, the upstream section of SU-1 (including XMOS chip) is entirely USB bus powered, so feeding +5V into an ISO REGEN driving a SU-1 USB port *MAY* be problematic.  With +5V feed, the ISO REGEN VBus output voltage is essentially unregulated (+5V is too low to fulfill the minimum dropout requirement of the LDO regulator for VBus).  Whether this can even work will depend on whether the VBus delivered by ISO REGEN falls below +4.5V at any time, as that is supposed to be the minimum VBus required by the SU-1 at its USB port.  Even if it can work, the SU-1 will still be receiving unregulated VBus voltage from ISO REGEN in this scenario, though not sure how big of an issue this may be.

I have not tried intentionally lowering the VBus voltage entering the SU-1 USB port to see at what voltage the circuit stops working.  It is possible the voltage regulator in there may still work being fed a bit less than +4.5V, but I won't know unless I try, and right now I'm not inclined to try...