IGNORED

AURALiC G2 series digital components (ARIES G2, VEGA G2 and etc) information

7 hours ago, saturdayboy said:

grossly overpriced compared to what?

a $1,000 budget streamer/dac, or something that sounds comparable?

i have the vega G2, and i find it to be a real bargain. 

Personally, I was expecting an Aries upgrade with a "ball park" similar price. The vega G2 is a different product, and is priced accordingly. Glad you're happy with yours, they certainly look nice. Hopefully an Aries hardware update will come later this year. 

Not a lot of user experiences of the Aries G2 on the web.

I was pleasantly suprised to see the clock performance, it is similar to the Cybershaft OXCO. Too bad it can’t act as a Roon Server. Otherwise if would be a complete one-box-front end model, and pricewise not a bad deal.

Got it:

"

Double Master Clock 72FS Femto

The ARIES G2 has been designed with two incredibly precise clocks to bring great sound accuracy. A clock allows the sampling of the formats in multiples of 44.1kHz, the second deals with 48kHz files and its multiples. These are the most sophisticated clocks that Auralic has built, running on cycles of 72 femtoseconds. The result is a jitter widely lowered and a sound of great clarity. The Master Clock 72FS is as silent as it is precise, with an extremely low phase noise of -169dBc / Hz and a 100Hz noise shift of only -118dBc / Hz, thanks in particular to its dedicated 3uV low noise power."

link to product discreption:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players/auralic-aries-g2-hi-fi-streamer-32bit-384khz-aesebu-femtoclock-p-12259.html

2 hours ago, FredM said:

The ARIES G2 has been designed with two incredibly precise clocks to bring great sound accuracy. A clock allows the sampling of the formats in multiples of 44.1kHz, the second deals with 48kHz files and its multiples. These are the most sophisticated clocks that Auralic has built, running on cycles of 72 femtoseconds. The result is a jitter widely lowered and a sound of great clarity. The Master Clock 72FS is as silent as it is precise, with an extremely low phase noise of -169dBc / Hz and a 100Hz noise shift of only -118dBc / Hz, thanks in particular to its dedicated 3uV low noise power."

link to product discreption:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players/auralic-aries-g2-hi-fi-streamer-32bit-384khz-aesebu-femtoclock-p-12259.html

Thanks! Glad to see some numbers there. However, let me add some caveats to ensure people don't compare kumquats with lytchees.

1. Based on the writeup above, the focus of the 72fs femto clock seems to be on the 2 sample rate families: 44.1kHz and multiples, and 48kHz and multiples, AKA word clocks. This is the traditional area of clock optimization, that has been in place for some time. I don't see any statement about the clock quality used on the motherboard, Ethernet and USB controllers, which is where some of recent buzz has been, where SQ improvement has been observed by optimizing these so-called system clocks. If these clocks have also been optimized, that would make the Aries G2 all the more compelling.

2. Phase noise comparisons are tricky. The numbers represent the noise at a fixed offset off of a carrier frequency. The value depends on both the carrier frequency and the offset. Clocks like the Cybershaft and Mutec Ref 10, are 10MHz reference clocks. I posted a table of their published phase noise a while back in this post: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=722223. So for example, my Cybershaft OP-14 has a measured phase noise of -141.9 dBC/Hz @ 100Hz offset from a 10MHz carrier frequency.

3. Note that the numbers quoted above for the Aries G2 don't indicate at what carrier frequency. Unless it is also at 10MHz, I would be very careful not to directly compare the Aries G2 numbers with the 10MHz numbers.
8 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Thanks! Glad to see some numbers there. However, let me add some caveats to ensure people don't compare kumquats with lytchees.

1. Based on the writeup above, the focus of the 72fs femto clock seems to be on the 2 sample rate families: 44.1kHz and multiples, and 48kHz and multiples, AKA word clocks. This is the traditional area of clock optimization, that has been in place for some time. I don't see any statement about the clock quality used on the motherboard, Ethernet and USB controllers, which is where some of recent buzz has been, where SQ improvement has been observed by optimizing these so-called system clocks. If these clocks have also been optimized, that would make the Aries G2 all the more compelling.

2. Phase noise comparisons are tricky. The numbers represent the noise at a fixed offset off of a carrier frequency. The value depends on both the carrier frequency and the offset. Clocks like the Cybershaft and Mutec Ref 10, are 10MHz reference clocks. I posted a table of their published phase noise a while back in this post: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=722223. So for example, my Cybershaft OP-14 has a measured phase noise of -141.9 dBC/Hz @ 100Hz offset from a 10MHz carrier frequency.

3. Note that the numbers quoted above for the Aries G2 don't indicate at what carrier frequency. Unless it is also at 10MHz, I would be very careful not to directly compare the Aries G2 numbers with the 10MHz numbers.

Thanks for the education, I compared the fs number without your context. Uncertain if the G2 numbers are at10Mhz, if so I reckon -this is my guess- they would have put it in the marketing materials. 

3 hours ago, FredM said:

a 100Hz noise shift of only -118dBc / Hz

This would not be a particularly good number for a 10 MHz clock.  For example, the Mutec Ref 10 is 160 dBc/Hz at 100 Hz.  I have no idea what phase noise graphs for 44.1/48 kHz clocks look like.  In any event, close in phase noise (< 10 Hz) is usually more important.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

21 hours ago, saturdayboy said:

grossly overpriced compared to what?

a $1,000 budget streamer/dac, or something that sounds comparable?

i have the vega G2, and i find it to be a real bargain. 

IMO, besides the very expensive casework, which you pay a lot for, they are technically not very different to the existing Auralic streamers.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

On 2018/2/27 at 6:26 AM, matthias said:

IMO, besides the very expensive casework, which you pay a lot for, they are technically not very different to the existing Auralic streamers.

Matt

Matching/expensive case work was what I thought I was paying for when I decided to get the Ariea G2 (replacing Aries Femto) to go with my Vega G2, but to my surprise, it actually does provide very noticeable improvement.

On 2/26/2018 at 4:26 PM, matthias said:

Matt

the Vega G2 is a dac (which happens to have some limited streaming) so if you want to compare it to a previous Auralic product, that would be the Vega dac.

I've actually owned both, and the Vega G2 is a vast improvement.

I can second this opinion. I have both the previous generation Vega and the new Vega G2 in my system right now. The new G2, in addition to being in a fancy casework, is in a whole different league soundwise, with much improved details, soundstage, transparency, and dynamics. To me, it was worth every penny.

question: what does Aries G2 gorgeous LCD show when using it as Roon endpoit? :|

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

it does show... what? :|

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, hmartin said:

What functions can you control using the Aries remote when running Roon? Like play, pause, skip  tracks etc etc? Thanks :)

There is no hardware remote.  But you could program a third party remote to control it.  I have an iDevice available at all times don't need a remote.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

3 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

There is no hardware remote.  But you could program a third party remote to control it.  I have an iDevice available at all times don't need a remote.

Well that is a let-down, I hope Auralic adds an optional remote. Miss sitting in the dark listening, annoying having to light up an Ipad every-time you just want to skip a track.

8 minutes ago, hmartin said:

Well that is a let-down, I hope Auralic adds an optional remote. Miss sitting in the dark listening, annoying having to light up an Ipad every-time you just want to skip a track.

you can do it right from the lock screen ;)

headphones system:

1 hour ago, hmartin said:

You can program your own remote to do it as I said.  No need to buy another remote.

https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000394414-What-is-Smart-IR-

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

6 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

You can program your own remote to do it as I said.  No need to buy another remote.

https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000394414-What-is-Smart-IR-

In fact I programmed my Mcintosh Preamp remote to do everything in the time differences in these 2 posts.