IGNORED

AURALiC G2 series digital components (ARIES G2, VEGA G2 and etc) information

Hi, guys:

Firstly I would like to appreciate everyone from CA community for continuous feedbacks and suggestions. All your voice helped AURALiC developing the Lightning streaming platform and making it better. It has been more than three years since AURALiC launched its Lightning streaming platform and now we are going to bring the G2 (Grade 2, not Generation 2) series of digital components for better sound quality and more powerful functions. Since the existing ARIES discussion topic is already more than 160 pages, I would like like start a separate topic to discuss everything related to G2.

G2 is a series of sophisticated digital source equipments with AURALiC's latest technology, there are four models currently planned: Streamer, Processor, DAC and Super Clock. They can be used individually or together as a powerful digital source system through AURALiC's recent developed interface called Lightning Link. One thing I want to make clear is that G2 is a upper level product line, the models in this product line are not suppose to replace any of current product but as you may image from the name: since we have G2 (Grade 2), there could be G1 in the future. 

The price of G2 series products are still TBD. As an upper level product line, they will sure be more expensive than current models. However, AURALiC has no intention to make over-priced HiFi gear, so they will be reasonably priced and worth their value as usual. We are targeting to ship the streamer (ARIES G2) and DAC (VEGA G2) around September this year with the processor and super clock coming by around November. 

I will use this topic to explain our technology implement of each product in the future as well as answer your questions on a weekly basis. If you are attending HighEnd Munich or LAAS show in May and June, our team and I will be there to answer all questions about it.

Xuanqian Wang

L1003870-2.png

L1003861.png

L1003869.png

On 4/22/2017 at 2:22 AM, mikey8811 said:

Looks like the Aries G2 has an I2S input.

It has more of a rounder old Naim look than Aurender.

What do you mean by a G1? Is that an even higher version than G2 or lower?

It does not have I2S input, AURALiC use HDMI physical connector to carrier a private signal chain which called Lightning Link, to daisy chain all equipments.

The G1 will be lower and there maybe G3 in the future, more expensive?

15 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

I would like some justification from Auralic. What does the new streamer do that the Femto Aries doesn't? I want to understand what my money is going to buy me.

I am an Aries Mini and Aries Femto owner so I love what you do, but you had better work that ass if you want more of my cash; a new box with unnecessary display won't do it.

Details to come next week, but the simple answer is:

1, The chassis is from a whole piece of aluminum

2, Internal storage, like ARIES MINI and ALTAIR

3, HD resolution display on front panel

4, A learning type of IR receiver and on machine buttons for full operation including setup and music playback

5, 50% faster processor, 100% more memory (2G) for larger memory cache

6, Built-in better power supply rather than outboard one

7, Latest physical isolation technology for better sound qualify both digital and USB outputs

8, Lightning Link (The HDMI connector) which allows yo to daisy chain all devices in this series together and control using Lightning DS.

And more...

On 4/25/2017 at 9:43 AM, Booster MPS said:

Sharing some background on the Aries if my memory serves me correctly.  The trade off for having an internal antenna on the current gen Aries/Aries LE was that the enclosure could not be metal as it interfered with reception.  This was just a limitation of the wireless technology which probably led to the plastic implementation, and the design.  With the G2 they are pulling the power supply inside the enclosure which takes the current form factor off the table.  Also, there were some disappointed with the build quality of the current gen design and wanted a metal enclosure.  This design change addresses that but the trade off is that there are external antenna.  

I am not knocking either choice, just recounting what I remember.  Maybe others can fill in blanks where I might have mis-stated something there.  

It is correct. The good thing is you can rotary the external antenna and hide them at the back of the unit.

On 4/25/2017 at 3:06 PM, r_w said:

Will the new G2 DAC have HT bypass and flawless volume control, so the preamp can finally be ditched?

That's the deal breaker for me.

One highlighted feature of VEGA G2 is full analog ladder network volume control module. There is a pair of analog input specially designed for HT use. This input channel has no gain but purely go directly to volume control and output buffer. When setting at maximum volume, it is equal to HT bypass mode.

22 hours ago, Stereophonic said:

Please Wang !!!!!

Put a second HDMI output to my Esoteric D02X !!!!!

It is unfortunately not possible. When using Lightning Link (HDMI physical connector), the DAC (or processor) feed clock to streamer as well as communication data. The direction of clock is reversed comparing to the regular I2S output.

16 hours ago, tallica1 said:

Hi Xuanqian: AURALIC has certainly been VERY busy.... (4) new surprises. I know you will save most of the details for Munich High End 2017 in 22 days...   G2 Streamer, Processor, DAC and Super Clock.. 

QUESTION

How would explain the purpose for the G2 processor in this (4) piece chain.  Wouldn't the VEGA G2 already have a processor WITH only a possible need to UPGRADE for the Super Clock?

QUESTION

AND is that a High Definition OLED display on the VEGA G2 ?

QUESTION 

ON a different level. Why have you developed a system of (4) separates. How would you summarize the sonic advantages in Auralic digital audio vs some competitors all in one?

Thank you, SL

The reason we have a separate processor unit is because current CPU inside streamer and DAC is not powerful enough to provide highest quality of resampling, signal process (such as room correction). The processor unit itself is not just designed for using with VEGA DAC but can be used as a standalone unit as well, it has regular digital and USB input and digital, USB output. 

The Display on VEGA G2 is as same as on ARIES G2 which is NOT OLED but retina resolution IPS LCD.

There is currently no way to pack all new features we developed in the last three years into one single box and I do not believe other manufacturer have the technology to do that either.

3 hours ago, Hauser said:

The concept of separates seems counter to the company's previous philosophy.  The current latest products gravitate to all in one boxes e.g. Polaris.  I assume it would be the case that the addition of  processor and super clock would improve sound.  As the G2 range is meant to be a step up in performance, shouldn't these other bits be integrated?  My suspicion is that this is more of a marketing exercise in the style of Cyrus and Naim where its possible to add endless, expensive boxes to squeeze out the last drop of performance and the last drop of the customer's money.  Call me a cynic.

On a more positive note, I'm glad to see Auralic putting the streamer in a metal box with integral PSU.  I recall seeing a photo of a prototype Aries in a Vega box prior to the plastic design.  To me, this would have been preferable now.  It allows current customers to upgrade items and still retain the same form factor.  Yes, I have the Meraks and no, they don't have the same face as either current or new products.  The front dimensions match though.  Generally I think Auralic put more effort into design than a lot of companies; I love the bead blast anodised finish.  Chord's products are more expensive, have some oddball designs and inferior finish but Dave does sound better.

Martin.

Hi, Martin:

The new G2 series contains so many new features and there is no way to pack all them in one single box based on current technology. It is our ultimate goal to offer single box solution for sure but it takes time. As you can see, the POLARIS was released by late 2016 and ARIES was on early 2014, it take longer time then you can expect to do the integration without compromise sound quality.

4 minutes ago, r_w said:

OK great... will it remember the last volume setting for each individual input?, otherwise volume would have to be set to max every time HT input is selected and then when another input is selected afterwards the speakers could be blown.

Current VEGA already has this setting, you may choose a master volume for all channels or let the unit remember each input's volume number.

On 4/26/2017 at 8:19 PM, tallica1 said:

Xuanqian: To Clarify. So the G2 PROCESSOR Componet would replace the computer in the chain ie MAC Book Pro per say and connect external hard drives to that component? (how thunderbolt connection)  If correct, then what sonic advantage would that component have over a MacBook Pro... or will this will solve the DSD 256 512 1024 problem over USB... ?

SL

Hi, SL:

ARIES is the component designed to replace a computer for basic playback function, the processor is to let you add more powerful processing to the data, such as ultra high quality DSD upsampler. The external hard drive will connect to ARIES as it is the source.

On 4/27/2017 at 3:56 PM, miguelito said:

It looks like the Vega G2 has an Ethernet port. Will it support RoonReady directly?

The Ethernet port on VEGA G2 is for web browser based control interface. It may not come with RoonReady as RoonReady code need to take over the entire signal in a system, which make it difficulty for us to do necessary signal process, but we will work with Roon to make it happen.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:23 PM, tallica1 said:

AURALiC VEGA G2 interesting hints of details from Audio Head...

Xuanqian Wang eluded that "the new Vega DAC isn’t Delta Sigma or fully multi-bit but rather something “totally different”. 

http://audio-head.com/the-new-auralic-aries-and-vega-2-0/

It is actually not correct, the customize DAC we used on VEGA G2 is a multi-bit DAC, it is similar to dCS's 5bit ring DAC but what we have here is 8bit. Such design can benefit from both 1bit R-2R and multi-bit DAC structure. 

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, tallica1 said:

Thank you Xuanqian for the update and GREAT your on schedule!  In the future can G2 VEGA or G2 ARIES will there be additional software updates and can this be performed by end user?

Hi:

Both products use our Telsa hardware platform and Lightning OS, they will receive OTA updates regularly, like the original ARIES.

8 hours ago, Louis To said:

Hi Xuanqian,

There are three of us in our audiophile group who are happy owners of Auralic Vega and Aries. We are all waiting for the new G2 series with anticipation. A couple of questions, if we were to upgrade from a Vega and Aries to the Vega G2 which is both a streamer and DAC, do we still need the Aries G2? If yes, then what are the benefits. Secondly, will the Vega G2 come in silver finish, all three of us prefer the silver to the black.

Keep up the good work. Believe me, there are more believers than doubters out there.

Hi Louis:

The VEGA G2 use same Lightning OS firmware which is similar to ARIES G2 but there are some hardware connectivity limitations. VEGA G2 does not come with 1) WiFi connection; 2) Internal SSD expansion slot; 3) USB port. Your only streaming source will be music on NAS drive or TIDAL/Qobuz/RoonReady/AirPlay (no bluetooth). If those wont bother you, then you can just use VEGA G2 without ARIES G2.

For the finishing options, all G2 series are black only. We can take order for silver special version directly if there are enough interest, this is due to factory production schedule. 

• 2 weeks later...