IGNORED

AURALiC G2 series digital components (ARIES G2, VEGA G2 and etc) information

On 4/22/2017 at 0:12 AM, alice said:

This is going to be exciting, although please change the chassis if you are going to charge more.

This currently looks very plain and boring like the Aurender.

I like the Aries look.

Sharing some background on the Aries if my memory serves me correctly.  The trade off for having an internal antenna on the current gen Aries/Aries LE was that the enclosure could not be metal as it interfered with reception.  This was just a limitation of the wireless technology which probably led to the plastic implementation, and the design.  With the G2 they are pulling the power supply inside the enclosure which takes the current form factor off the table.  Also, there were some disappointed with the build quality of the current gen design and wanted a metal enclosure.  This design change addresses that but the trade off is that there are external antenna.  

I am not knocking either choice, just recounting what I remember.  Maybe others can fill in blanks where I might have mis-stated something there.  

8 hours ago, tallica1 said:

Xuanqian: To Clarify. So the G2 PROCESSOR Componet would replace the computer in the chain ie MAC Book Pro per say and connect external hard drives to that component? (how thunderbolt connection)  If correct, then what sonic advantage would that component have over a MacBook Pro... or will this will solve the DSD 256 512 1024 problem over USB... ?

SL

The advantage that I see would be that it would be an upsampling processor optimized for music rather than a jack of all trades Macbook Pro.  As it seems to be timed to be released with the G2 Clock I assume that those two would really work hand in hand together as a unit.  I would be curious to know if the G2 Processor could also run Roon Core and completely negate the need for a computer associated with the G2 Aries if you wanted Roon.  Now THAT would be cool!!!!

• 3 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 0:11 PM, Aspro said:

I've got an Aries Mini which I use with an external DAC and a linear power supply.  I think it's a great product  but in terms of upgrading the G2 Aries is way too expensive (and overspeced) for me so I'm hoping that even the G1 will be a significant improvement over the Mini (with LPSU) but still have the user fit HDD and act as a server.

I am in the same boat wanting to shift away from my Mac Mini.  My concern with the G1 path (my speculation) is that they will not offer a USB out so that I can use my own DAC (Benchmark DAC2).  I hope that is not the case.

I am considering the option of going with Small Green Computer as a server and then a network streamer from SOtM but that puts me in the Tidal/Roon streaming bucket.....will those services be around for the long haul?  That is my question.  Without Tidal/Roon that path is a dead end.

@George Hincapie and @Hauser Thanks!  Agree with the current line up fitting the bill of my needs.  No doubt about that and both would be good choices.  I suppose since we are on the edge of a product line update from Auralic (G2 likely out of reach and Aries Mini/G1 unknown) I am in a bit of a wait and see mode.  With system upgrades there is always something new or evolving so you can never time it right.  Knowing what I know today, the Aries Femto gives me my all in one server/network streamer solution, just curious on what is around the corner.