Jump to content
sphinxsix

My Essential Classical Albums.

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, semente said:

I currently much prefer the 8th.

The 7th is quite good too IMHO. He's definitely not among the most significant composers but I'm afraid most of the later ones have already been discussed here. I'm simply (as usual) looking for something I don't know yet.

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys!


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

The 7th is quite good too IMHO. He's definitely not among the most significant composers but I'm afraid most of the later ones have already been discussed here. I'm simply (as usual) looking for something I don't know yet.

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys!

 

I can not stop discovering new music/composers, even though I would be quite happy limited only to Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner and few other composers which names started with other letters of alphabet. BTW, why most if not neatly all great composer names start with three letters only, B, M, S? Plus W, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Plus W, of course.

Of course! (and let's not discuss - with or without vocalists 9_9)


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

 

Nothing to discuss - with vocalists, of course!)

In such case let's move the discussion here :P :

 

 

 


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

BTW, why most if not neatly all great composer names start with three letters only, B, M, S? Plus W, of course.

It’s not completely random, given the dominance of Germany & Austria in the classical music space. 
 

At least S and B are among the most common first letters of German last names (couldn’t find  similar stats for Austria unfortunately). See a link below in German. 
 

 

 

https://www.datendieter.de/item/Buchstabenhaeufigkeit_von_deutschen_Nachnamen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Musicophile said:

It’s not completely random, given the dominance of Germany & Austria in the classical music space. 
 

At least S and B are among the most common first letters of German last names (couldn’t find  similar stats for Austria unfortunately). See a link below in German. 
 

 

 

https://www.datendieter.de/item/Buchstabenhaeufigkeit_von_deutschen_Nachnamen

 

Interesting info. It explains some things and creates more questions...) Why there is no great composers of the first rank which names start with letter K, which is second most popular in Germany?....😙

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

The 7th is quite good too IMHO. He's definitely not among the most significant composers but I'm afraid most of the later ones have already been discussed here. I'm simply (as usual) looking for something I don't know yet.

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys!

 

I'm not particular experienced when it comes to off-the-beaten-track music but which second-tier and lesser known composers have you investigated?

Some may not have been prominent or particularly proliferous writers but there are many pieces worth investigating. I suggest the following:

 

Bloch Schelomo

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8028034--in-the-shadow-of-war

 

Delius VC and orchestral music

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8020030--delius-violin-concerto

 

Falla

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7923719--the-essential-falla

 

Field nocturnes and PCs

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7954754--john-field-piano-music-vol-2

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7952076--field-piano-concertos-nos-5-6

 

Gade

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7996480--gade-novelletter-for-strings

 

Herbert CC

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8050173--victor-herbert-cello-concertos

 

Karlowicz VC

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7994972--karlowicz-serenade-violin-concerto

 

Kodaly cello sonata

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7971482--starker-plays-kodaly

 

Korngold VC

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8080670--britten-korngold-violin-concertos

 

Respighi

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8021224--respighi-roman-festivals-brazilian-impressions-pines-of-rome

 

Rott

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7937612--rott-symphony-in-e-major

 

Rozsa

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8117707--rozsa-spohr-violin-concertos-tchaikovsky-serenade-melancolique


Saint-Saens

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8073391--schumann-lalo-saint-saens-cello-concertos

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7925135--lalo-saint-saens-ravel

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7923517--saint-saens-danse-macabre

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7942773--saint-saens-symphony-no-3-in-c-minor-op-78-organ-symphony-etc

 

Clara Schumann

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7955385--schumann-clara-the-complete-works-for-piano-solo

 

Scriabin

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8052602--scriabin-medtner-piano-concertos

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7959641--yevgeny-sudbin-plays-scriabin

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7923956--scriabin-complete-symphonies

 

Weber

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7980781--weber-the-symphonies

 

Wetz

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7946810--wetz-symphony-no-3-gesang-des-lebens

 

 

If you enjoy music from the Romantic period:

 

The Romantic Piano Concerto series

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/s.asp?s=S_1

 

The Romantic Violin Concerto series

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/s.asp?s=S_3

 

 

And then there are the recitals...so much to choose from.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7924056--horowitz-in-moscow

 


"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, semente said:

which second-tier and lesser known composers have you investigated?

As for the ones you've mentioned above only Falla, Saint Saens and Scriabin (and only their most important compositions).

Thanks for the links, much appreciated!


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, semente said:

 

I'm not particular experienced when it comes to off-the-beaten-track music but which second-tier and lesser known composers have you investigated?

Some may not have been prominent or particularly proliferous writers but there are many pieces worth investigating. I suggest the following:

 

Bloch Schelomo

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8028034--in-the-shadow-of-war

 

Delius VC and orchestral music

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8020030--delius-violin-concerto

 

Falla

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7923719--the-essential-falla

 

Field nocturnes and PCs

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7954754--john-field-piano-music-vol-2

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7952076--field-piano-concertos-nos-5-6

 

Gade

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7996480--gade-novelletter-for-strings

 

Herbert CC

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8050173--victor-herbert-cello-concertos

 

Karlowicz VC

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7994972--karlowicz-serenade-violin-concerto

 

Kodaly cello sonata

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7971482--starker-plays-kodaly

 

Korngold VC

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8080670--britten-korngold-violin-concertos

 

Respighi

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8021224--respighi-roman-festivals-brazilian-impressions-pines-of-rome

 

Rott

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7937612--rott-symphony-in-e-major

 

Rozsa

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8117707--rozsa-spohr-violin-concertos-tchaikovsky-serenade-melancolique


Saint-Saens

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8073391--schumann-lalo-saint-saens-cello-concertos

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7925135--lalo-saint-saens-ravel

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7923517--saint-saens-danse-macabre

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7942773--saint-saens-symphony-no-3-in-c-minor-op-78-organ-symphony-etc

 

Clara Schumann

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7955385--schumann-clara-the-complete-works-for-piano-solo

 

Scriabin

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8052602--scriabin-medtner-piano-concertos

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7959641--yevgeny-sudbin-plays-scriabin

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7923956--scriabin-complete-symphonies

 

Weber

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7980781--weber-the-symphonies

 

Wetz

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7946810--wetz-symphony-no-3-gesang-des-lebens

 

 

If you enjoy music from the Romantic period:

 

The Romantic Piano Concerto series

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/s.asp?s=S_1

 

The Romantic Violin Concerto series

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/s.asp?s=S_3

 

 

And then there are the recitals...so much to choose from.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7924056--horowitz-in-moscow

 

 

From the pieces mentioned I really like Korngold's Violin Concerto... Field's Nocturnes are fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Agree on K for great conductors.

 

What about Kleiber? Now listening to his Beethoven 7

 

 

Kleiber Beethoven.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WAM said:

 

What about Kleiber? Now listening to his Beethoven 7

 

 

Kleiber Beethoven.jpg

He was mentioned earlier by me. I think we all agree he was an important conductor. Actually in a moment I'll start watching the BBC 'Karajan's Magic and Myth' documentary. Seems interesting.


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

He was mentioned earlier by me.

Sorry, missed that.

 

Funny that Karajan still fascinates people (including me, must try his Beethoven and Bruckner). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My album of the evening (MP3 streaming). I think I will buy it unless someone recommends even more interesting Pachelbel organ recording.

 

714B7li-0DL._SS500_.jpg


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 8:17 PM, sphinxsix said:
On 9/29/2019 at 12:56 AM, Bob Stern said:

A classic I love is Du Pre & Celibidache 1967, which is unusually soft and tender.

I checked out this concerto earlier - Du Pre with Barrenboim, A.Weilerstein/Belohlavek and Tetzlaff/Storgards, will check out this one too.

I agree Du Pre/Celibidache is the better one of these two. I got it a couple of days ago and some other albums recommended by you guys too, thanks a lot again!

 

Meanwhile I heard Stravinsky's Petrouchka on the radio while coming back from work (I don't know who the performers were) and I think I really 'dug' Stravinsky's ecstatic rhythms for the first time. So recently my attention has shifted to .. you've guessed it right - Igor Fyodorovich.. :)


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, semente said:

I think that my favourite recording of Dvořák's Cello Concerto is the one by Rostropovich with Berlin and Karajan on DG.

Thanks, I've bought this one too.

A great story!

A look back at some startling moments in 125 years of the Proms:

7 of the most startling moments in the history of the Proms


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...