IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

4 hours ago, Teresa said:

I like all kinds of music including rock, blues, jazz, bluegrass, and world

Me too, maybe except from country (with very few exceptions). Thanks for your recommendations, Teresa (you mention some compositions I haven't even heard of which is great), I will check them out.

BTW can someone recommend some Eastern (Orthodox Church, Middle Eastern, Arabic too) or Eastern influenced music, especially early one? Thanks in advance!

Albums of the evening (excerpts) :

61+iC-oN9gL._SY450_.jpg

MI0001062185.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Which led me to microtonal music (well, I know some musicians using microtones eg jazz-fusion guitarist David Fiuczynski) and this composer:

I'm glad I am still able to suprise myself every now and then..

Am I the only one who thinks that 'Preludio a Colón' sounds great.?

On 8.05.2017 at 1:16 AM, sphinxsix said:

Which led me to microtonal music

Unfortunately I didn't find a lot of interesting microtonal music (someone can recommend something.?).

But I decided to explore Karlheinz Stockhausen a little. Some of his stuff (eg Stimmung, Mantra, Gruppen) is very interesting. I ended up watching this (beware - lots of analog noise ;))

BTW I haven't decided yet which version of Machaut's mass to choose. Five performances I checked out in detail are so different one from another.. I didn't know the early music interpretation formula is so 'open'..

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

BTW I haven't decided yet which version of Machaut's mass to choose. Five performances I checked out in detail are so different one from another.. I didn't know the early music interpretation formula is so 'open'.

Wow. That's some serious listening! As I understand it, there is still much about 14th century performance practice that we just don't know and that still is open to debate and different approaches. Just to make things a little more complicated, here's another performance:

Azahar

La Tempête, Simon-Pierre Bestion

8d6255-20170223-azahar.thumb.jpg.9f7934f38b0f48fee963d31c44912cee.jpg

716KEzW1SsL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.4db0288dda9964abbc0e118ef6e5d665.jpg

https://www.outhere-music.com/en/albums/azahar-alpha-261

This one's growing on me slowly. The juxtaposition with Stravinsky's Mass, which was influenced by Machaut, is interesting as well. It's also available in hi-res.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Alpha/ALPHA261

33 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

This one's growing on me slowly.

My first impressions (samples) are very good.

34 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Stravinsky's Mass, which was influenced by Machaut

Didn't know about it. Never heard his mass. Thanks!

11 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Unfortunately I didn't find a lot of interesting microtonal music (someone can recommend something.?).

But I decided to explore Karlheinz Stockhausen a little. Some of his stuff (eg Stimmung, Mantra, Gruppen) is very interesting. I ended up watching this (beware - lots of analog noise ;))

Helicopter String Quartet is a part taken from Stockhausen's huge seven opera cycle Licht. I was trying to listen some of these opera, this is very impressive mass of work, but takes certain effort and time to digest.

This thread and your recommendations have already cost me some money :) the single artist who's cost me most being Marcel Peres - I've bought 4 Ensemble Organum CDs (great music IMO!): Chant Cistercien , Mozarabic Chant , Le Chant des Templiers and Chant de L'Eglise de Rome. As for Machaut's Messe de Notre Dame (I mentioned my problems with choosing one performance before) - after checking 6 versions and quite a lot of consideration I decided to get what I would call a safe and balanced (I'm not that often after 'safe' and 'balanced'!) preformance by Ensemble Gilles Binchois / Dominique Vellard. And it's just a part of my spendings. I have to admit I haven't checked out all the names and recordings that's been recommended here yet but I will progressively do it.

I really appreciate your contribution guys!

Piano is an instrument that I always liked. But in recent years I've been after its sound even more than before. So one more question for you guys - could you name your 'desert island' solo piano classical recordings.? And if it's to general for somebody - ok, please concentrate on Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Rachmaninov

(but I'd really like to discover some names and compositions that I'm not familiar with too).

As usually - performance is what matters most but SQ is important too.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a start, all recent releases with good to excellent SQ; and obviously outstanding playing.

0002894796570_600.jpg

0886443958906_600.jpg

0825646941230_600.jpg

0002894794974_600.jpg

The Trifofov includes orchestral and solo piano works. The solo piano pieces, the Chopin and Corelli variations are both outstanding.

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

[...] could you name your 'desert island' solo piano classical recordings.? [...] Bach, [...]

The following is said to be Gyorgi Ligeti's desert island album:

Johann Sebastian Bach: ‎The Art Of Fugue, BWV 1080

Evgeni Koroliov

51vohCMNfvL._SL300_.jpg

In general, a lot of my favorite Baroque keyboard works do not translate well to piano. But interestingly, Art of Fugue was not written for specific instrument. That might be way piano rendition works so well.

8 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

So one more question for you guys - could you name your 'desert island' solo piano classical recordings.? And if it's to general for somebody - ok, please concentrate on Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Rachmaninov

Well, those are too many fine recordings even if we focus on solo from these four names only. I will try to select a few.

1. Bach - DWK from Schiff, El Bacha or Zhu Xiao-Mei; Goldbergs - Tharaud, Dinnerstein, Ito Ema, Denk, Rana; Die Kunst Der Fuge - Aimard, Bahrami; English Suites - Anderszewski; Partitas - Perahia, Fray.

2. Beethoven - complete sonatas sets from Brendel (black box most), Brautigam, Buchbinder, Guilda, Korstick; Separate sonatas from Lupu, Pires, Giltburg, Perahia.

3. Mozart - sonatas sets from Uchida, Haebler, Bezuidenhout, Brautigam, separate - Brendel, Leygraf, Perlemuter, 

4. Rachmaninov - I am not listening for his solo music often, but I really love his 3d Concerto. Recording with Martha Argerich is very dear to me. From others version of this concerto I would name those from Bronfman, Gavrilov, Andsnes.

4 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Well, those are too many fine recordings even if we focus on solo from these four names only. I will try to select a few.

1. Bach - DWK from Schiff, El Bacha or Zhu Xiao-Mei; Goldbergs - Tharaud, Dinnerstein, Ito Ema, Denk, Rana; Die Kunst Der Fuge - Aimard, Bahrami; English Suites - Anderszewski; Partitas - Perahia, Fray.

2. Beethoven - complete sonatas sets from Brendel (black box most), Brautigam, Buchbinder, Guilda, Korstick; Separate sonatas from Lupu, Pires, Giltburg, Perahia.

3. Mozart - sonatas sets from Uchida, Haebler, Bezuidenhout, Brautigam, separate - Brendel, Leygraf, Perlemuter, 

4. Rachmaninov - I am not listening for his solo music often, but I really love his 3d Concerto. Recording with Martha Argerich is very dear to me. From others version of this concerto I would name those from Bronfman, Gavrilov, Andsnes.

+1 on all of the above. Excellent selection.

One more very good Rachmaninov solo album springs to mind, that is very much worth having.

034571300153.png

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67700

Thanks a lot guys! I have 7 or 8 of the above mentioned recordings. The remaining ones are going to be the subject of my exploration soon.

Someone else willing to recommend his 'desert island' solo piano recordings.?

There are a few things that everyone should have in their collections:

Brandenburgs. St. Martin in the Fields is perfectly fine, but my preferred recording is the Munich Bach Orchestra, conducted by Karl Richter, originally released on Archiv in around 1970.

Beethoven symphonies. I have three sets: BPO/von Karajan from the 1960s, Minnesota Orchestra/Vanska, and Manchester Camerata/Boyd. I probably listen to Minny most often. Would love to have a good period-instruments set.

Carmen. I have the Horne/McCracken/Bernstein from the mid-1970s on vinyl, but I rarely listen to it these days. The Live from the Met DVD with Garanca and Alagna is superb, and Elina Garanca is without doubt the sexiest Carmen ever.

The Rite of Spring and the Firebird. I have and always thoroughly enjoy the SFS/Tilson Thomas recordings on RCA.

Bartok Concerto for Orchestra. The BPO/von Karajan recording introduced me to this music, and I still think it's my favorite, although I won't argue very much with those who prefer the Budapest Festival Orchestra/Fischer. That it's paired with Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta is gravy.

I could go on like this for days. Maybe someday I will.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

1 hour ago, burnspbesq said:

Desert island piano recordings.

No WTK selection from me; I prefer to hear it on harpsichord.

Paul Lewis' Beethoven sonatas.

Kovacevic' Diabelli Variations.

Ingrid Fitter Chopin Etudes.

Bavouzet's complete Debussy

Anne-Marie McDermott Prokofiev Sonatas.

Levit's "The People United."

Last but surely not least, Marc-Andre Hamelin's 'In a State of Jazz." Worth it for the Gulda alone, but there's so much more.

(and of course some Keith Jarrett. If I can only have one, I'll take "Rio.")

Plus one, though I would replace Ingrid by Pollini, in spite of the 1970s shoebox DG sound.

3 hours ago, burnspbesq said:

(and of course some Keith Jarrett. If I can only have one, I'll take "Rio.")

This would be difficult choice. Virtually everything Jarrett recorded is very close to me. Well, if the choice would be necessary, it will be either Paris/London - Testament, or A Multitude of Angels. I also love Staircase. Köln I know by heart...)

A question about one of the most inventive, according to many, piano players ever - your favorite Glenn Gould performances, guys.? (except from Bach as I have quite lots of Gould's Bach).

BTW I was quite suprised noone listed GG recordings among his favorite piano albums. A coincidence?

Is he passé.? Or maybe it's just that noone here likes Gould.?

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

A question about one of the most inventive, according to many, piano players ever - your favorite Glenn Gould performances, guys.? (except from Bach as I have quite lots of Gould's Bach).

BTW I was quite suprised noone listed GG recordings among his favorite piano albums. A coincidence?

Is he passé.? Or maybe it's just that noone here likes Gould.?

I like Gould, and didn't mention his albums just because we were focused mostly on new recordings, isn't it?) I only named some old recordings from the artists who are not popping out in memory immediately.

I like Gould's Haydn, and Mozart and Beethoven too, even thou some people think his readings of those are quite bizarre. In fact, I am very comfortable with almost every his recording with rare exceptions.