IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

4 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Thanks again for your recommendations, guys! I've ordered a substantial number of Bruckner symphonies, concentrating on 4th - 9th ones. Quite many performed by Wand (also some Kolner and NDR ones to see how his perception of this music changed through the years), some by Haitink, von Karajan and Celibidache, single ones by Abbado and Giulini (both 9th). I actually listened to the whole 9th conducted by Giulini yesterday.

My longest non-stop listening session in a long time!

You got yourself some top-notch stuff there. 

Please keep us posted on your experiences. 

5 hours ago, Musicophile said:

You have enough Bruckner from a lifetime now.

Well..we will see if this is enough.. For now for sure.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I wish everyone to have lifetime long enough to listen many various great interpretations of Bruckner symphonies...) As for me there is not enough great 7th's or 8th's that I would stop looking for new versions I didn't know before.

For me that's yet another example of what a great adventure discovering new music can be. A week ago I didn't know his music at all! Hope I'm ignorant of more interesting composers than I suspect..

11 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I wish everyone to have lifetime long enough to listen many various great interpretations of Bruckner symphonies...) As for me there is not enough great 7th's or 8th's that I would stop looking for new versions I didn't know before.

Well, sometimes I wonder if less is more. I must have probably at least 3 or 4 days of bruckner symphonies in my library, plus all that's available on Qobuz. But then again, I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them (or maybe only some).

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Well, sometimes I wonder if less is more. I must have probably at least 3 or 4 days of bruckner symphonies in my library, plus all that's available on Qobuz. But then again, I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them (or maybe only some).

This is philosophical concern. I believe modern man owns much more than might be needed for happy life. Even more, all those possessions make hem/her less happy in most of the cases. The easy way out may be an abandon of practically all and everything, which is not an option for most of us, I guess. What to do?

12 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

This is philosophical concern. I believe modern man owns much more than might be needed for happy life. Even more, all those possessions make hem/her less happy in most of the cases. The easy way out may be an abandon of practically all and everything, which is not an option for most of us, I guess. What to do?

I try to restrain myself from buying yet another version of symphonic works I already own but it is hard work.

Solo and duo recordings generally gather different pieces, so there's a chance of finding new material, and live recitals are always interesting to listen to.

I have also been looking at period instruments.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Wagner's Ring... Without Words.

I enjoyed listening to the (then) local orchestra play Maazel's suite of The Ring's essential moments and later bought the CD:

51lK9-us16L.jpg

1 hour ago, semente said:

Wagner's Ring... Without Words.

I enjoyed listening to the (then) local orchestra play Maazel's suite of The Ring's essential moments and later bought the CD:

51lK9-us16L.jpg

With Der Ring it is pretty much easy, also because operas are not recorded any more as often as in last century and because true Wagnerian voices extinct almost entirely - 10 or so complete cycles would cover almost every base: Moralt, Krauss, Keilbert, Furtwangler, one or two from Knappertsbusch, Solti, Bohm, Karajan, Barenboim, Thielemann.

Ok, let's move on to 20th century music. I have some selected recordings of Mahler, Debussy, Schoenberg, Berg, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stockhausen, Reich, Glass, Britten and Part. 

The question is: have I omitted some important names/compositions.? (hope I have :))

Thanks in advance!

19 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Barber, Bartok, Sibelius, Faure, Poulenc...

I'm not that familiar with their music. Will check them out. Would you recommend some of their compositions/performances in particular?

17 hours ago, semente said:

Simeon Ten Holt's "Canto Ostinato":

This is a beautiful minimalist piece. I listened to fragments of 3 different performances yesterday for almost an hour and a half! Haven't decided which one I like best yet. What's your favorite version?

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

the most approachable Bartok...

Thanks. Will check it out.

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

This is a beautiful minimalist piece. I listened to fragments of 3 different performances yesterday for almost an hour and a half! Haven't decided which one I like best yet. What's your favorite version?

I remember listening to a four piano and a two piano version and settled for the latter:

t93216012-i315159463_s400.jpg