IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

9 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

we were focused mostly on new recordings, isn't it?

Not necessarily! As I said earlier - music and performance are always more important to me than SQ.

BTW - a good documentary, IMO worth checking out if you don't know it :

18 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Not necessarily! As I said earlier - music and performance are always more important to me than SQ.

BTW - a good documentary, IMO worth checking out if you don't know it :

Oh, well. I just love archival modest quality recordings, some of them have warmth and heart which modern recordings totally missed...) If we speak about solo piano, I am not going to miss Rosalyn Tureck and Edwin Fischer (first recorded WTK ever) for Bach, Schnabel and Kempff for Beethoven, Lili Krauss for Mozart..)

Did you see documentaries about Glenn Gould from Bruno Monsaingeon?

5 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

A question about one of the most inventive, according to many, piano players ever - your favorite Glenn Gould performances, guys.? (except from Bach as I have quite lots of Gould's Bach).

BTW I was quite suprised noone listed GG recordings among his favorite piano albums. A coincidence?

Is he passé.? Or maybe it's just that noone here likes Gould.?

At the risk of getting some haters here, I haven't heard any Gould beyond Bach I'd still find relevant today. 

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

No hate...) I can imagine why people would believe Gould is not relevant anymore, and, of course, anybody would and should have its own opinion about anything he or she likes. Also, our preferences may ground on very different criteria. One of the reasons I like Gould is his "otherness", his intention and ability to see and play everything in his very own way. And he was very organic within realms of his unique world. And, I would never doze while listening his recordings)))

You wouldn't be the first to get lost in the goings on and start humming along with the barefooted genius.  :)

1 hour ago, rando said:

You wouldn't be the first to get lost in the goings on and start humming along with the barefooted genius.  :)

I bought my first Gould LP more than 40 years ago....) It was his first Goldbergs published by Melodiya in USSR – I think it was not licensed. Well, until now I didn't start humming)

Your русский pique, Meloydiya discs, etc are wearying

Hum along, or don't, as you wish.  The mannerism is well documented as having limited interest in professionally recording him.  Which has a very direct bearing on his legacy being directly associated to a single work.  

There are many great recordings. For some of the younger fellows this 30 year old recording deserves a listen. One of the greatest piano performance of my life time.

MI0001016958.jpg

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

8 hours ago, rando said:

Your русский pique, Meloydiya discs, etc are wearying

Hum along, or don't, as you wish.  The mannerism is well documented as having limited interest in professionally recording him.  Which has a very direct bearing on his legacy being directly associated to a single work.  

You have problems?

20 hours ago, rando said:

Your русский pique, Meloydiya discs, etc are wearying....

I'm not sure I understand your point. But nevermind..

19 hours ago, cpvniii said:

There are many great recordings. For some of the younger fellows this 30 year old recording deserves a listen. One of the greatest piano performance of my life time.

MI0001016958.jpg

I have ABM Rach 4 PC recording from 1957 but I don't know this one.

As for Gould playing Beethoven's sonatas one thing is certain - he does it in a very different way from everybody else (he probably wouldn't be himself if he didn't) and for me it's quite intriguing in some instances (eg fast tempos of 'Moonlight'). Probably won't become my reference recordings of these compositions but it's definitely a different point of view.

BTW - your favorite Beethoven's sonatas (especially late ones) recordings, guys.?

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I'm not sure I understand your point. But nevermind..

I have ABM Rach 4 PC recording from 1957 but I don't know this one.

As for Gould playing Beethoven's sonatas one thing is certain - he does it in a very different way from everybody else (he probably wouldn't be himself if he didn't) and for me it's quite intriguing in some instances (eg fast tempos of 'Moonlight'). Probably won't become my reference recordings of these compositions but it's definitely a different point of view.

BTW - your favorite Beethoven's sonatas (especially late ones) recordings, guys.?

Brautigam. 

There have been a few new issues of the Saint Saens 3rd Violin concerto over the last few yearsMI0001137062.thumb.jpg.f8aac5b3e50102fe358398da3c008272.jpgbut this one still stands out to me.

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

21 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Brautigam. 

Seems I didn't commit a sin when I bought his complete Beethoven sonatas. What would be your second (or maybe even third) choice? I think about getting some more B. sonatas as I love them.

14 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Igor Levit

Got this set too.

On 23.05.2017 at 10:25 PM, AnotherSpin said:

Korstick

14 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Giltburg

I'll check out their sonatas recordings. Thx!

28 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Seems I didn't commit a sin when I bought his complete Beethoven sonatas. What would be your second (or maybe even third) choice? I think about getting some more B. sonatas as I love them.

Brautigam set is very good - I agree with Musicophile completely. It is in my current toplist, along with sets from Korstick, Gulda, Brendel (first Philips set), Buchbinder.

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

As for Ronald Brautigam - is his Mozart (both - solo piano works and concertos) that good too?

He's very good as well but I'd prefer Bezuidenhout for both solo and concerto when talking fortepiano.

https://musicophilesblog.com/2015/10/27/my-must-have-mozart-albums/

And for modern piano, I already mentioned above Fazio Say's recent complete set. 

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

One can't have enough Beethoven, vey much like the other two Bs, Bach and Brahms. 

Levit has already been mentioned. Among the classics, Schnabel (VERY Lo-fi) Kempff, Brendel, and Pollini (his old set, not the so-so recent re-recording) stand out. 

For the more recent cycles I often go to Andras Schiff on ECM or Paul Lewis, both are relatively straight, no-nonsense interpretations. I was also positively surprised by Richard Goode. 

3 minutes ago, tdimler said:

Regarding desert island solo piano...the first thing that came to mind:

51xw-e0xMZL.jpg

then maybe

51AdG+fzsrL.jpg

For the Beethoven sonata, this is my standard.  Many other good options though.

81fnXakil3L._SY355_.jpg

I'm pretty heavily skewed towards piano in my classical collection so here are a few more that I consider essential:

This one is a true MUST HAVE

71t6PBX2pfL._SY355_.jpg

Your Argerich Rach 3 is on my list, but I'd have to add her Schumann...

2960499688.jpg

While we're on piano concertos, when surveying Beethoven, my new favorite is the rock solid Leif Ove

71GhIN9SkRL._SL1500_.jpg

Back to Brahms.... the Requiem could be my single desert island piece.  I've tried other acclaimed versions but always come back to this as my favorite.

819iHYm1Q5L._SL1200_.jpg

If you're about solo Bach, I think this newish recording from Rachel Barton Pine is just stunning in every way.

e62e22-20160329-rachel-barton-pine-testa

Last for now....the Mozart piano concertos played by Uchida are splendid.....she has a special way with Mozart.  There are also some newer Decca live recordings that are pretty goo too.

L028947573067.JPG

Very nice selection.