IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

5 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

BTW I think I will not become a huge fan of The Nutcracker. It's a soundtrack, right.? ;)

That was obviously a joke but when I listened to its fragments I felt this music needs some visuals added to be complete. Beside that - charming, melodic piece. But probably not compatible with me (at least not today :)).

So next I'm going to check PIT's symphonies. Started with:

7318599914084_600.jpg&key=5dd0681bd003df

and I must say it's the best piece of new (to me) music I've heard in a long time. I will begin with 5, 6, and 4th so if there are some more recordings suggestions I will appreciate them.

9 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

That was obviously a joke but when I listened to its fragments I felt this music needs some visuals added to be complete. Beside that - charming, melodic piece. But probably not compatible with me (at least not today :)).

Are these visuals enough?

5 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Are these visuals enough?

I seem to be art-forms-that-are-more-rooted-in-tradition-than-open-to-innovation - proof. Ballet is for me one of such forms. While I can appreciate modern dance eg enjoyed 'Pina' movie tremendously (see the trailer below) I get bored while watching ballet or opera after 5 minutes. Probably blues music is closest to where I'm able to enjoy art (music in this case) despite its some might say unchanging structure. But it's the real roots for many things in the world of music. You may feel like going to the basics from time to time (probably Bach is for me such 'basics' in the area of classical music).

6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Personally I was intrigued by this review: 

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/tchaikovsky-symphony-no-6-currentzis

Currentzis is one of those musicians who never leave you cold. There are a lot of his recordings I really don’t like, but maybe this will be the record that finally could be my entry point for no. 6. 

I think it is an awfully insensitive and manipulative performance and a terrible-sounding recording.  Others differ.  There was a whole thread on this at:  https://www.stereophile.com/content/devastating-tchaikovsky-sixth

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

2 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I think it is an awfully insensitive and manipulative performance and a terrible-sounding recording.  Others differ.  There was a whole thread on this at:  https://www.stereophile.com/content/devastating-tchaikovsky-sixth

Currentzis seems to be able to do only love it or hate it recordings. I was typically more in the hate it camp. But recently started liking his Mahler 6 somewhat. 

On 1/29/2019 at 3:14 AM, Kal Rubinson said:

Classic Mravinsky/Leningrad 4,5,6 set!!! 

Sounds great to me! Added to my shoping list, just like:

5 hours ago, rando said:

image.png.fc9e5ae5d9bba46e8bbceea3f3c13b4c.png

Tried the first part of his VC, I'm not convinced yet.

3 hours ago, Norton said:

Try the Manfred Symphony too,

I will, but I'm afraid I'm close to OD-ing Tchaikovsky. Might need a short break :)

20 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I'm close to OD-ing Tchaikovsky.

PIT is just a “gateway” Russian composer, if like me before  long you’ll start heavily using  Balakirev (Sym1), Kalinnikov, Taneyev, Myaskovsky (Cello concerto, Sym6 & 20+) before moving on to the real hard stuff (Shostakovich).

2 hours ago, Norton said:

PIT is just a “gateway” Russian composer, if like me before  long you’ll start heavily using  Balakirev (Sym1), Kalinnikov, Taneyev, Myaskovsky (Cello concerto, Sym6 & 20+) before moving on to the real hard stuff (Shostakovich).

You've just scared me.. x-D

2 hours ago, Norton said:

I never liked Tchaikovsky that much, skipped most everything in between, and am now for the first tile seriously discovering Shosta, thanks among others to the great recent Nelsons recordings. 

5 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

I never liked Tchaikovsky that much, skipped most everything in between, and am now for the first tile seriously discovering Shosta, thanks among others to the great recent Nelsons recordings. 

Are they so good? What about SQ?