IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

55 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

@AnotherSpin Frankly - I'm afraid Feldman's Piano & String Quartet develops a little too slow for my taste. Or maybe it's just not a good day for such music. I dare not check out his (6 hours long!) String Quartet II.. Thanks for your recommendation anyway!

You may start with La Monte Young's 'The Well-Tuned Piano', it is only five hours solo piano piece.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

You may start with La Monte Young's 'The Well-Tuned Piano', it is only five hours solo piano piece.

I think I prefer this (it's also a little shorter ;)). My first associations - something between Asiatic folk and late Coltrane (but it was recorded in 1963!). Has he written more stuff like this?

Edit: he has. Now I recall you recommended him on this thread. Seems interesting.

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

La Monte Young is not making "music" in conventional sense for decades. It is difficult if possible at all to suggest any of La Monte Young compositions for merely "listening", as it is very "non-Western" type of experience. He was studied with Indian vocal guru Pandit Pran Nath, who also taught Terry Riley and others, as Charlemagne Palestine, etc. La Monte Young went beyond "composing" and even "performing" in a search of a perfect primordial sound which is close as it could be to the source of the existence, in this respect he is close to Eastern spiritual views and practices. He is trying to find a certain combination of frequencies which then sound virtually endlessly, for days or weeks in his Dream House, located in Tribeca, NY. I was fortunate to be there several years ago and it can not be compared with any other musical experience I had. The Well-Tuned Piano is available as a video recording of one of extremely rare Young's public performances and this is closer to regular music, one should be aware piano is tuned in just intonation. There are few very old recordings of Young from 60s-70s period and I do not believe it give a more or less adequate idea about what he is trying to achieve. If I would recommend one recording to try, it might be the "Tamburas of Pandit Pran Nath", but I can not imagine how it would be perceived by non-prepared listener.

Terry Riley recordings are much more accessible in both performance and availability. Sri Camel album would be nice to try. Electric organ is tuned in just intonation, still it is very easy and enjoyable listening, as majority of other Riley recordings. His most famous piece is "In C", many times performed and recorded by many artists. It is mentioned as one of the most important minimalist music compositions ever, but somehow I was not able to get it. Not recommended.

Thanks for your response. I recall now checking out some La Monte Young's compositions after you had recommended his name on this thread. You say 'He is trying to find a certain combination of frequencies which then sound virtually endlessly, for days or weeks'. I can accept a conceptual (maybe even philosophical) value of such ideas but I'm afraid I find it much harder to enjoy them in actual listening experience. I'm not a big fan of minimalism but there are some IMO interesting performances of minimalist music by the band called Bang on a Can. Their 'In C' is one of the most exciting versions I know. I'd recommend checking it out but you probably know it (?)

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Thanks for your response. I recall now checking out some La Monte Young's compositions after you had recommended his name on this thread. You say 'He is trying to find a certain combination of frequencies which then sound virtually endlessly, for days or weeks'. I can accept a conceptual (maybe even philosophical) value of such ideas but I'm afraid I find it much harder to enjoy them in actual listening experience. I'm not a big fan of minimalism but there are some IMO interesting performances of minimalist music by the band called Bang on a Can. Their 'In C' is one of the most exciting versions I know. I'd recommend checking it out but you probably know it (?)

Yes. Thank you)

• 3 weeks later...

Not that often played on harp :) Check this out guys, IMO this harpist knows how to play the instrument. I really enjoyed her version.

https://www.amyturkharp.com/

Can someone recommend some Manuel de Falla recordings? Heard a very beautiful composition by this Spanish composer on the radio while driving my car couple days ago. I don't know what piece was that as the only words from the program host I understood was 'de Falla' - unfortunately they mostly speak Dutch on Dutch radio.. I'd appreciate your response, guys.

19 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Not that often played on harp :) Check this out guys, IMO this harpist knows how to play the instrument. I really enjoyed her version.

https://www.amyturkharp.com/

Can someone recommend some Manuel de Falla recordings? Heard a very beautiful composition by this Spanish composer on the radio while driving my car couple days ago. I don't know what piece was that as the only words from the program host I understood was 'de Falla' - unfortunately they mostly speak Dutch on Dutch radio.. I'd appreciate your response, guys.

My favorite composition by Manuel de Falla is his gorgeous Noches en los jardines de España (Nights in the Gardens of Spain).  Here is the first movement, from my favorite recording of the work, with Philippe Entremont:

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

1 hour ago, WAM said:

Do you know which radiostation, date and time? The Dutch radiostation NPO4 publishes playlists (they also have a De Falla Playlist. 4

This is an interesting information, I believe this was 04, aren't they the only classical music radio in North Holland.? I will check their playlists, thanks!

44 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

My favorite composition by Manuel de Falla is his gorgeous Noches en los jardines de España (Nights in the Gardens of Spain).  Here is the first movement, from my favorite recording of the work, with Philippe Entremont:

Sounds very interesting, I will definitely check it out, thanks!

12 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Was it a piece for guitar, piano or orchestra?

Falla's famous guitar piece is "Homenaje" (sometimes called by its full name "Homenaje sur Le Tombeau de Debussy").  It's only 3 minutes long.  Pepe Romero's 1994 album entitled "Noches de España" includes Homenaje along with equally good pieces by other Spanish composers.  It's my favorite Pepe Romero album.

Falla's best orchestral piece is the flamenco ballet "El Amor Brujo".   My favorite performance by far dates from 1963 with Reiner conducting the Chicago Sym.  (Leontyne Price is the excellent soprano, but there are only two songs, 2 minutes each.)  There's a superb film of the ballet directed by Carlos Saura.  (If you like that, watch Saura's first flamenco film, Blood Wedding.)

For a gentle, subtle approach to Falla's ballets, try Juanjo Mena conducting "El Sombrero de Tres Picos".  The Chandos album also has a delicate performance of Nights in the Gardens of Spain and an orchestration of "Homenaje".

Falla's most famous vocal piece is "7 Canciones Populares".

I've checked out the radio playlist suggested by @WAM This was 'El sombrero de tres picos' performed by Radio Filharmonisch Orkest/Antony Hermus - an instrumental fragment without Julie Boulianne's mezzosoprano. I'll check both the recording of the piece recommended by you and all the others recommended compositions. Thanks once again, guys!

Some more harp music by a great South Korean-born Dutch harpist - Lavinia Meijer. She's performing Stravinsky's 'Firebird' ('De vuurvogel':)) in Amsterdam Het Koninklijk Concertgebouw tonight. I really wonder how it's done but I'm not attending the concert.

Here playing P. Glass (I'd recommend her Glass music recordings to the ones who don't know them).

Toru Takemitsu: From me flows what you call Time; Twill by Twilight; Requiem

Nexus / Carl St. Clair / Pacific Symphony Orchestra

particularly for: "From me flows what you call time", for 5 percussionists & orchestra

81qbP50uXwL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.f40c05a47cb085d7ae600bf2e8650237.jpg

http://5against4.com/2012/10/08/toru-takemitsu-from-me-flows-what-you-call-time-uk-premiere/

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8129677--takemitsu-orchestral-works