IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Personally I was intrigued by this review: 

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/tchaikovsky-symphony-no-6-currentzis

Currentzis is one of those musicians who never leave you cold. There are a lot of his recordings I really don’t like, but maybe this will be the record that finally could be my entry point for no. 6. 

I think it is an awfully insensitive and manipulative performance and a terrible-sounding recording.  Others differ.  There was a whole thread on this at:  https://www.stereophile.com/content/devastating-tchaikovsky-sixth

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
3 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

A digression - during one of the concerts I was sitting 3m from a lead sopranist of a (very good) choir. I had a simple reflection while listening to the music in these circumstances - no stereo system is able to reproduce the nuance of a soprano being that close to the listener and the acoustics of a big gothic church at the same time in a fully convincing way. I couldn't help thinking that with some music the multi channel reproduction might be the only way to go. I think @Kal Rubinson could comment on it.

I think you have already done so.  OTOH, one of the most elusive elements, even for multichannel, is real proximity.  

Kal Rubinson

8 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

.........but IMO back then in case of rock or jazz mch reproduction tended to destroy quite lots of nuance in comparison to stereo) that with other genres (not classical music) the multichannel reproduction might create more problems than advantages. What's your opinion on that?

Prior to SACD (and DVD-A), all multichannel was in lossy, compressed formats so your observation is probably accurate.  However, the shoe is now on the other foot.  Modern multichannel is as high in resolution/detail/dynamics as any stereo media and has the additional benefit of expanded spatial definition.

Kal Rubinson

• 5 months later...