IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

2 hours ago, semente said:

What are your performance suggestions for some of these great violin concertos?

For Bruch, Mendelssohn, Sibelius and Tchaikovsky I am happy with the following:

51LDHAGcQXL._SX355_.jpg

618BLxA-8GL._SY300_.jpg

41MREMQYKGL.jpg

R-4690962-1445793390-8738.jpeg.jpg

But about Bartok, Beethoven, Brahms & Mozart?

I couldn't tell you definitively, but I do love the Chung recordings. I have this one:

R-8473162-1462297739-7195.jpeg.jpg

Regarding the Sibelius, I don't have the Kavakos, but your mention of it will make me seek it out. I've seen Leonidas Kavakos perform it with the Berlin Philharmonic on the Digital concert hall, and he was amazing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

28 minutes ago, rando said:

@austinpop I ended up coming home with a few Japanese Telarc Mahler discs today.  Seeing as this is your bailiwick I wondered if you would care to point me in the direction of a few other recordings of his works.  I have no idea if these two are at all recommended.   

0089408008122_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg     716WAmL2OzL._SL1070_.jpg

I haven't actually heard the Slatkin 2nd, but enthusiastically endorse the Zander 9th. You should find a bonus disc in the package with Zander's explanation of the piece movement by movement. I found it fascinating.

I recommend all of Zander's Mahler on Telarc. He hasn't done the full cycle with them, only 1, 3, 5, 6, and 9. His recording of the 2nd on Linn isn't as compelling.

For the 2nd, Gilbert Kaplan with VPO on DG.

And then the entire cycle by MTT and the SF Symphony.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, rando said:

Moser 'Dvorak & Lalo' album was phenomenal the first few listens when it came out.  Over the course of his next two albums I've come to realize the fortuitous pairing with Hrůša was what made it stand out.  You may discover differently, but I don't feel either have recorded anything near as good since. 

Sadly I missed hearing Moser perform in a local church as I learned about the concert an hour beforehand.  Hrůša is just missing out on some larger appointments which have gone to older more accomplished conductors.  If you happen to be near Cleveland I would suggest attending his only planned concerts in the US next season.

Thanks for that. Bummer - I was hoping they'd done more together.

I will certainly look out for his ůša concerts!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Yes, the last movement is very soothing to put you in a sleepy mood.

The 7th has not one, but two movements entitled "Nachtmusik," so the late night theme is very appropriate!

23 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Try skipping the first movement of the 3rd.

(Unlike my preceding post, this comment is not facetious.)

Sacrilege! ;)

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Didn't listen Ivan Fischer's. Comes to mind Kondrashin with Concertgebouw, Kubelik on Audite, Bernstein on Columbia. However, many fine and quite different versions available to choose from. As with most of Mahler's symphonies. It is difficult and good thing at the same time, if you don't like one particular performance you may try another one always.

Every new version of a familiar piece can jar at times, because it doesn't conform to the version you're familiar with. I am finding this Fischer version growing on me. So DO listen to it.

Beyond that, my favorites are MTT/SFS, Bernstein/NYPO, and Jonathan Nott/Bamberger on Tudor.

• 1 month later...