IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

10 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

You CAN use the resistance of the interconnect cable as the ballast resistor, but if you do that the output voltages of the two boards have to be very closely matched. The boards need to be within at least 10mv of each other if you are going to use the cable length as the resistor. And that is 10mv at load. That is hard to achieve unless you have a pot setting at least one of them. Then you have to worry about the resistance of the pot changing as the board warms up. Its a very touchy thing to do.

You are MUCH better off getting a board designed to handle the load on one board.

John S.

Agreed.

But IMO, anyone playing around like this should at least have a decent resolution DMM to check things like this if they don't want to risk damage to their new voltage regulator PCBs.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, gstew said:

Cornan,

Have I got a solution for you! A fellow in Germany made up some paralleled LT3045 boards and is selling them on DIYAudio here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/310402-fs-ultra-low-noise-power-supply-lt3045-based-pcb-post5227003.html

He has both boards with 2 sections of 3 paralleled LT3045 each (1.5A / section) and boards with a single section of 6 paralleled LT3045 for 3A. He'll sell raw boards (what I got), boards with the LT3045 already installed, or finished & tested boards

I just built one of the dual section boards up and it is working swimmingly powering my SDTrans384 SD Card player (which really only pulls 400mA max). I used .1% resistors to set the V-outs instead of the pots he shows and the 2 sides measured a measly .01V difference (4.92V & 4.93V). Each side is fed from an LPS-1 & are paralleled for 3A output max, overkill in this application.

Problem solved!

Greg in Mississippi

Greg:

I will start by saying that I don’t understand at all really what these LT3045 boards do at all and I’m completely confused by all the talk here about them! 

However, I THINK what you’re saying in your post is that by using 2 LPS-1’s and your LT3045 boards as configured, that you’re able to get 3A current output? Is that correct? 

So if I’m correct, the next question, is there a way (perhaps it would require 3 or 4 LPS-1’s?)

to use these boards in conjunction with multiple LPS-1’s to get 12V 3A ?? (I’m thinking this would be an incredible power supply for my Mytek Brooklyn DAC)? (Although if 4 LPS-1’s are required plus the boards, it may not end up being a good cost to value ?

8 hours ago, sandyk said:

John could answer this far better than I can, but provided that the well matched PCBs used identical length connecting leads to the joining point of the cables, it may not matter ? 

If one had a slightly lower voltage output, perhaps decreasing the length of it's output lead a little may help to ensure improved current output matching ?

I defer to John's wealth of experience in this area though. 

I am here to learn too !

In any case the output leads and in-between the boards are in the range of 2-3cm when you put them in the DC cable path. I am very surprised if this could affect the voltage/current. 

🎛️  Audio System  

10 minutes ago, Cornan said:

In any case the output leads and in-between the boards are in the range of 2-3cm when you put them in the DC cable path. I am very surprised if this could affect the voltage/current. 

That may be the case with regulator PCBs in series, but not likely when in parallel.

The two boards must be matched from the seller (Alexey). Then use two of this cable (input/output) where DC screw terminal plugs is the LT3045s side-by-side.

The lengths of 2 of the cables in your photo suggests otherwise.  

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

7 hours ago, gstew said:

Cornan,

Have I got a solution for you! A fellow in Germany made up some paralleled LT3045 boards and is selling them on DIYAudio here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/310402-fs-ultra-low-noise-power-supply-lt3045-based-pcb-post5227003.html

He has both boards with 2 sections of 3 paralleled LT3045 each (1.5A / section) and boards with a single section of 6 paralleled LT3045 for 3A. He'll sell raw boards (what I got), boards with the LT3045 already installed, or finished & tested boards

I just built one of the dual section boards up and it is working swimmingly powering my SDTrans384 SD Card player (which really only pulls 400mA max). I used .1% resistors to set the V-outs instead of the pots he shows and the 2 sides measured a measly .01V difference (4.92V & 4.93V). Each side is fed from an LPS-1 & are paralleled for 3A output max, overkill in this application.

Problem solved!

Greg in Mississippi

Thanks Greg! @tapatrick have showed me this beautiful board a couple of times before on my "True experimental tweak thread". I am definately interested to give it a try on my Brooklyn DAC which reguores 12v/~1.5A if I not DIY my own parallel board. Do you have a picture of your parallel boards you could share? It would be very interesting to see a picture! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

5 hours ago, agladstone said:

(I’m thinking this would be an incredible power supply for my Mytek Brooklyn DAC)?

I am planning to use the LT3045 post Brooklyn DAC as well. However, it does'nt really require more than 2A. To be sure I'll recommend that you monitor the current draw during 10-15 min incl power on/off. My bet is that it will only draw max 1.5A.

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

That may be the case with regulator PCBs in series, but not likely when in parallel.

The lengths of 2 of the cables in your photo suggests otherwise.  

Not sure what you mean that it is the case with regular PCB in series but not in parallel? Why is there a difference? Could really 2-3cm make such a difference in voltage/current between the boards?

The picture was just to show how it should be wired. The cable lenght should ALWAYS be as short as possible.

🎛️  Audio System  

18 hours ago, Cornan said:

Hi jean-michel6! 

Here is my answers with numbers! ?

1. Gophert csp-3205II floating lab SMPS

2. The sound get more full with improved details and blacker background.

3. Serial LT3045 equals even less noise. Fixed voltages. I set mine to 0.7-1v drop down. IME 0.7v drop-down is optimal in my setup. For example powering my Aries Mini I set Gophert to 15.7v into LT3045 (1A) 15v into LT3045 (1A) 14.3v into Aries Mini.

4. No there is 1A boards around as well. If you put two 1A boards in parallel you'll get 2A. Measure the actual current drawn during 15 minutes (incl. Power on/off) to find out which amperage you'll need.

5. Two benefits. EMI/RFI reduction and a slim case/protection for the dual boards. 

I hope that helps! ?

Hi Cornan 

Thank's for the detailed answer , I will definitely try that in my system.  

Have you tried to add different Elna or other capacity on your LT boards ?

Were do you purchase the Entreq sleeves , easier for you because it is a Swedish company. 

I am located in france. 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

Just now, jean-michel6 said:

Hi Cornan 

Were do you purchase the Entreq sleeves , easier for you because it is a Swedish company. 

I am located in france. 

I have only tried ELNA silmic on my LM317 board. IMO the combo could'nt compete with LT3045 without ELNA. With that said several people have reported an improvement with ELNA silmic on LT3045. I am personally not that interested in that path though since I want to ensure best possible isolation without adding too much sound signature to the mix. I have currently a couple of shunt regulators with Kelvin starquad cables and plugs on order. As soon as they have arrived (next year) I will compare them to the LT3045. Should be interesting! ?

I bought my Entreq mini wraps from a local Swedish dealer. According to Entreq's website you should get them here in France http://www.pi-music.fr 

Happy New year! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

9 hours ago, gstew said:

Cornan,

Problem solved!

Greg in Mississippi

Hi Greg ,

Thank's for the good info .

Several questions :

LPS-1 output 1.1 A max so two in parallell is 2.2A max ? Correct ?

The German DIY shows only the AC-DC version , does he has also DC-DC version , which is needed to work with LPS-1 ?

( question for you and John S ) This LPS-1 is already a very good PS , what improvement bring the LT board ?

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I have only tried ELNA silmic on my LM317 board. IMO the combo could'nt compete with LT3045 without ELNA. With that said several people have reported an improvement with ELNA silmic on LT3045. I am personally not that interested in that path though since I want to ensure best possible isolation without adding too much sound signature to the mix. I have currently a couple of shunt regulators with Kelvin starquad cables and plugs on order. As soon as they have arrived (next year) I will compare them to the LT3045. Should be interesting! ?

I bought my Entreq mini wraps from a local Swedish dealer. According to Entreq's website you should get them here in France http://www.pi-music.fr 

Happy New year! ?

You are super fast to answer ?

Where have you been able to source shunt regulators as they are supposed to be among the very best for PS. 

Happy new year too !

35 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

You are super fast to answer ?

Where have you been able to source shunt regulators as they are supposed to be among the very best for PS. 

Happy new year too !

Thanks! ?

I have ordered it from Alex at ATL Hi-Fi https://www.atlhifi.com

They are still under construction though. Not expecting delivery until Q2, 2018.

Mind you that so far the shunt regs is just possible for max 400mA load. Alex is working on a 1.5A version, but I am not sure yet if/when it will be finalized.

🎛️  Audio System  

14 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Putting more than one together ON THE SAME BOARD, guarantees the output voltages will be VERY close, so only very small ballast resistors are needed.  (literally a half inch of trace on the board) BUT that only works when they are on the same board. You don't get that advantage when paralleling two boards.

How about using 4 separate boards? For example two matched 13v parallel boards in series into two 12v parallel boards powering a Brooklyn DAC (12v)? PSU set to 14v. 

🎛️  Audio System  

14 hours ago, sandyk said:

Hi Greg

You need to be careful here. The text book implementations of these ensures a very low ESR, which favours upper HF detail. Unless you change a few input capacitor types and values you may end up with overly etched HF detail.

This shouldn't  happen with Digital, but it does , ;) even with SATA filters. The later SATA filters use much larger value electros which help to ensure a more balanced sound. (Previously I had a good play around with DIY SATA filters using L & C.)

Regards

Alex 

fwut.jpg

Alex,I totally agree with your point. While I didn't have that in mind when I first tried one of the paralleled LT304x boards, I suspect the reason they've worked so well is that they are really designed as small power supply units with AC input from a transformer and a significant amount of capacitance (~18,000uF) on each half. AND they do retain good small hi-frequency bypass capacitors before and after the regs as suggested by the datasheets. 

Thanks for pointing this out!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

37 minutes ago, gstew said:

Pictures attached...

5a493f3447979_3-LT3045RegBrd2.thumb.jpg.f9c7a0b060925c2203651aa368bec6e5.jpg3-LT3045 Reg Brd #1.jpg

I should add that I use different input and output capacitors than what is listed in the BOM... these are the same line as those used in the dual 4||LT3042 boards that have also worked very well where I've used them, but alas are no longer available. I also:

1. Added an additional 5,600uF capacitor at the output of each side.

2. Omitted the rectifier diodes and jumpered as appropriate to make them DC input.

3. Left out the heat sinks for this application due to both the low current draw of the driven device AND a fairly low input voltage (7V out of the LPS-1s).

4. Used .1% resistors instead of a pot to set the output voltage for each side.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing and  a happy new year! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

On 12/30/2017 at 6:22 PM, jean-michel6 said:

Hi ,

Several questions about the use of the LT3045s

- which power supplies are you using upstream of the LT modules. 

- what is the main benefit of using those LT modules on the sound 

- why several modules in series ? Those modules are fixed voltage or adjustable ?How do you set them to have the 0.3 v drop to insure the regulator is working properly ?

- The amp accepted by the module is only 0,5 amp , which is quite low 

- was is the benefit of using the Entreq sleeves ?

Many questions , thank for your help. 

Hi @jean-michel6 Looks like Xmas is over and this thread has sprung to life again..:)

To add to what @Cornan has already replied to you:

The LT3045s have an Ultralow RMS Noise: 0.8µVRMS (10Hz to 100kHz), plus Ultralow Spot Noise: 2nV/√Hz at 10kHz, PLUS Ultrahigh PSRR: 76dB at 1MHz. This makes them superb for powering end of chain low power devices, so the 500ma is adequate for these devices. There is much discussion about achieving 1-2 and 3amps but I have not needed that much.

I power sets of LT3045s with a modified Teradak DC-30W (replaced caps with Nichicon HWs) into an Aqvox switch/USB 5v line/LPS-1 and finally into a Bluewave USB to Spdif board (which Micael/cornan and I have raved about many times).

The already low 0.8µVRMS drops even more when put in series. I use for instance 7.7v boards into 5v into 3.3v. The main benefit of the in series boards is increased enjoyment! - deeper bass, smoother treble, cleaner spacious sound and expansive soundstage among other qualities. The drop out can be a couple of volts but must be more than 260mv and I recommend the fixed voltage ones.

Highly recommend them if they fit your requirements.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

7 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Hi Cornan 

I am located in france. 

I tinkered around with both adding to and replacing the Tantalum input caps with Elna silmics which were recommended by @sandyk and @TubeMan. Adds an extra smoothness...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 hour ago, gstew said:

I tried them in parallel to power either a Raspberry Pi I2S-output renderer or an SDTrans384 SD card player. I describe my initial experiences here: 

Hi @gstew over Xmas I came across some of your posting on Tirnahifi and DIYaudio as I found myself once again getting curious about SD card players, but the volume and length of the threads overwhelmed me.. :). Without derailing this thread can you point me to latest info on finding or building a SOTA SD player? can go to PM if better for you.. Many thanks in advance.

25 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

The already low 0.8µVRMS drops even more when put in series.

That is unlikely to be correct. You will be limited by the inherent noise level of the LT3045 .

A parallel configuration as used with input transistors in some phone moving coil designs should reduce noise further.

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

I power sets of LT3045s with a modified Teradak DC-30W (replaced caps with Nichicon HWs) into an Aqvox switch/USB 5v line/LPS-1 and finally into a Bluewave USB to Spdif board (which Micael/cornan and I have raved about many times).

I cannot rave enough for that combo. It makes music for angels! 

A Happy New Year Patrick! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I cannot rave enough for that combo. It makes music for angels! 

A Happy New Year Patrick! ?

Happy New Year Micael!

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

That is unlikely to be correct. You will be limited by the inherent noise level of the LT3045 .

A parallel configuration as used with input transistors in some phone moving coil designs should reduce noise further.

Thanks @sandyk, You have more knowledge in this area. I read that somewhere so I will try to find the thread where this was stated to see if it was a measurement or just an opinion.

In terms of listening impressions though I can confirm that adding the second board in series in my system added a subtle but magical quality, not as dramatic as adding the first one but significant enough to increase my enjoyment.