IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

OK, the Canare 4S6 came in yesterday. It is MUCH easier to work with than the West Penn 244, the conductors are 20AWG and much finer stranding. It is significantly more flexible as well.

Doing a single starquad into the screw terminal plugs is a piece of cake with this cable. I was even able to do a Y-cable with it. That was significantly harder to do, but it did work. Even the Y-cable was easier than the straight cable with the 244.

Now on to the sound. I was expecting that do to the thinner conductors it might not sound quite as good as the 244. Well far from it! This cable with the 4S6 sounds better than the 244. The SBT when fed power from an LPS-1 and this starquad cable is producing some of the best sounding music I have ever heard! This is mind blowing that the $200 SBT when fed good power is transformed into such an incredibly good sounding device. Note this is only when plugging the headphones directly into the SBT, the line outs don't sound any where near as good.

Given the above I heartily recommend the Canare 4S6 starquad cable for making DC cables. 

John S.

John,

Now you have us really excited! Can't wait to try it.

Sorry, noob DIY question - from the pictures, it looks like there are 2 red and 2 white wires? And these are what connect together?

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

John,

Now you have us really excited! Can't wait to try it.

Sorry, noob DIY question - from the pictures, it looks like there are 2 red and 2 white wires? And these are what connect together?

The 4S6 has a solid red, clear red, white and clear wires. The two red wires are connected together and the white and clear are connected together.

John S.

... is this one the original 4S6 or a fake? printing says it's Made in Japan :|

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

and... what about this one (so I don't need to bother some american friend) ?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

thanks Middy

bought 8ft anyway: I'm only risking a few dolla ;)

headphones system:

6 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The 4S6 has a solid red, clear red, white and clear wires. The two red wires are connected together and the white and clear are connected together.

John S.

Hi John, will the DC plugs with screw-in terminals fit next to the USPCB, for both the USB REGEN and ISO REGEN?

Those DC plugs are quite large compared to a normal cable plug and may clash with the USPCB or even clash with the cheap hard adapter, side by side?

Cheers

15 hours ago, Superdad said:

The rear opening of the Oyaide DC-2.1G plug shell is 6.45mm.   And yes, as I posted numerous times, the newer version is shortened and has the center pin and ground strap/strain relief too close together to be usable with big star-quad wire.  That's why I begged Oayide and had them put 1,000 of the original style back into production just for UpTone.  They will finally arrive in about 10 days, just before our current stock from last year runs out.

For DIY star-quad DC cables with big wire and barrel connectors, unless you are willing to solder a small pair pigtail and then solder-splice, there really are only two choices: The original Oyaide plugs or the screw terminal/barrel plugs.

Since I have the market cornered on the original Oyaide plugs (and please no e-mails asking me to sell 'em by the piece), I'd suggest people get comfortable with the screw terminal type.

My problem is the Oyaide DC-2.1 plugs I have were purchased some time ago, as in probably about 2 years ago, I don't know for sure if they are the old or the new version when the model number didn't change, I think they are the old version.

6.45 mm is approximately .253", so I think the Canare 4S6 wire will actually fit the barrel, but it remains to be seen whether I can then reliably solder the connections with the close proximity 20 gauge wire pairs.

I'll know soon.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 minute ago, MikeyFresh said:

My problem is the Oyaide DC-2.1 plugs I have were purchased some time ago, as in probably about 2 years ago, I don't know for sure if they are the old or the new version when the model number didn't change, I think they are the old version.

6.45 mm is approximately .253", so I think the Canare 4S6 wire will actually fit the barrel, but it remains to be seen whether I can then reliably solder the connections with the close proximity 20 gauge wire pairs.

I'll know soon.

I do not want to dicourage you, but I did try to solder Furutech 18awg on the new style Oyiade DC-2.1 (ie. the smaller version) and failed miserably. Bad soldering gears and bad eye sight was my excuse then, but to be honest I am not a good friend with soldering irons in general. It surely can be done, but require proper gears, great skills and a steady hand! :)

Question....I modded my SU-1 DDC to accept 5V directly from my LPS-1.  Inside the metal (aluminum?) case, I have a short cable made (6") going from the DC input to the board.  Does it make sense for me to try a starquad configuration for that internal DC cable?  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

7 hours ago, pl_svn said:

... is this one the original 4S6 or a fake? printing says it's Made in Japan :|

5 hours ago, Middy said:

I think it's made in both USA and thier company home Japan... 

I thought they were French....?

I have Canare 4S11, and it has a gray PVC jacket. I have also seen the black jacket. All insulating material in photos (cotton and teflon strips) look like the same as mine. Canare is a Japanese company.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

6 hours ago, Middy said:

I think it's made in both USA and thier company home Japan... 

I thought they were French....?

I've never seen any Canare cable that wasn't labeled "Made in Japan", as far as I know all Canare wire products are made there.

But that doesn't mean they too aren't the victim of now common Chinese counterfeiting of Japanese products, just 'cause it says Canare and Made in Japan doesn't ensure the real McCoy, only buy from reputable sources to be certain of the authenticity.

Canare and Mogami are less likely to be knocked off however just due to the low asking price on the genuine article, the stuff is already cheap, it doesn't leave much room for a counterfeiter to actually produce and distribute a knock-off at any kind of big profit.

The high-end wire brands are a much more attractive target to counterfeiters in that regard.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

saying all this it coming from Hong-Kong. ....But it's the geometry is the key factor in all this and I think no shield..

John's explanation when he is ready will be interesting about shields.

But I am all excited about getting an ISO, begging UK Martin from VortexBox to put me on the list in his batch. I don't know yet ...Fingers crossed...

But these cable orders should hit about this time. Then I can worry about fitting 6mm cable in 4 mm connector.

For the hot pin it will probably be solder a cut  shorter wire to the longer wire and feed the longer of the 2 into the hot receptial. I have the CCTV plugs from some led strips from last year so I can try them also...

5 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi John, will the DC plugs with screw-in terminals fit next to the USPCB, for both the USB REGEN and ISO REGEN?

Those DC plugs are quite large compared to a normal cable plug and may clash with the USPCB or even clash with the cheap hard adapter, side by side?

No problem at all.  Plenty of room for both the screw terminal plugs and the USPCB (or standard) adapter.  The screw terminal DC plugs are just 14mm at their very wides part.

4 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Your plugs are absolutely the original style if you bought them more that about 6 months ago.