IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

13 hours ago, tedwoods said:

High quality diy plugs and wire from the parallel universe of the guitar world:

1. https://www.3monkeysamps.com/collections/all/products/new-product

2. https://www.3monkeysamps.com/collections/all/products/3-monkeys-solderless-cable

They are solderless too...

The wife could make those..

I taught her:  lefty loosey , Right tightey 

She can use a hair dryer.. Job done..

You could use simple self cutting nut on multi strand wires. A light cone shape just gripping the outer wires. 

it's the same technique when stripping wires for tinning. leave a small section of sleeving don't pull it off ...twist clockwise to stop bird caging the bundle before tinning...

pop each one in the top housing....

Multi million dollar idea done...?

Ill call you all from my private jet later..

9 minutes ago, Middy said:

...twist clockwise

9_9

*counter*-clockwise ;)

:P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

8 hours ago, Middy said:

The wife could make those..

I taught her:  lefty loosey , Right tightey 

She can use a hair dryer.. Job done..

You could use simple self cutting nut on multi strand wires. A light cone shape just gripping the outer wires. 

it's the same technique when stripping wires for tinning. leave a small section of sleeving don't pull it off ...twist clockwise to stop bird caging the bundle before tinning...

pop each one in the top housing....

Multi million dollar idea done...?

Ill call you all from my private jet later..

They work as advertised. I have them on my pedal board. And indeed, you can use another type of wire as long as it's roughly of the same gauge, although preferably the center conductor has to be solid core, as most concentric cables are.

(Out of topic, but one of the 3 Monkeys is Brad Whitford, of Aerosmith fame. I have one of their amps too ...:D)

A great design

I think it could be scaled up to multi core and multiple wires. Canare quad.

4 self tapping heads and fitted into a body... no soldering..

I found these as a cheap alternative gold plated: 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182139945637

fancy ones

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Gold-Plated-DC-Jack-5-5mm-2-1mm-2-5mm-DC-Power-Connector-plug-/132118795705?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150519202348%26meid%3D495d8ccbd74c4d3d83773c0e4724b253%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D18%26sd%3D182139945637&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Thank you @JohnSwenson as always for your contribution.

I am going to make a Y cable to power my SU-1 and soon to be purchased IsoRegen from an LPS-1.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

18 minutes ago, Middy said:

A sentiment I agree with whole heartedly ?

Haven't found Canare Quad.

But those gold DC connectors and other brand quad coming my way.

Good luck with the DIY  'Y 'cable

Tboooe 

Did you check the Markertek website linked by austinpop above?  Free shipping too!

Which DC connectors are you getting?  The ones on eBay in your last post?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Both ?  A little DIY bling  never hurts

I thought why not. I don't think I will get free shipping from the USA. 

(Just asked for a quote ?) Ty Tboooe Austinpop

I ordered UK Vandame quad 2 metres.

Shielded... Only short length supply..

All the DIY cables I have tried I haven't had much luck improving SQ but I can do these.

Ohms law is something to do with a Victorian detective to me.. but soldering...?

I did get into trouble in work as we had American VIPS.  One asked me if I do sod-her-ing (Sol-der-ing UK)  Only with the right girl.... They laughed but my boss wasn't happy....

John if you have time do you do anything... what was the thoughts on shields you mentioned with Alex and the wrong way... I remembered before your theory on having open ended with a wire soldered on the outside?

No problem either way. 

Thanks all

Dave

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Yup - I ordered 15ft. I lack sod-der-ing skills, so excited to try a DIY project using the screw terminals!

I too ordered the Canare 4S6 from Markertek, however I pan to solder using the Oyaide DC-2.1 plugs, hopefully they will actually fit as the wire's outer diameter is 1/4" and the inner diameter of the plug barrel is also 1/4", so really no room to spare.

I also have some of the cheapie Vanguard 2.1mm DC plugs I sourced some time ago on eBay, however they only have a 4mm barrel opening and so aren't even close to big enough for use with Canare 4S6, anyone considering those specific plugs needs to be using some pretty small wire.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

22 hours ago, Middy said:

A great design

I think it could be scaled up to multi core and multiple wires. Canare quad.

4 self tapping heads and fitted into a body... no soldering..

I found these as a cheap alternative gold plated: 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182139945637

fancy ones

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Gold-Plated-DC-Jack-5-5mm-2-1mm-2-5mm-DC-Power-Connector-plug-/132118795705?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150519202348%26meid%3D495d8ccbd74c4d3d83773c0e4724b253%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D18%26sd%3D182139945637&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Sadly I don't think either of those DC plugs will work with Canare 4S6, unless I'm reading it wrong that cable has a 1/4" outer diameter, while each of the above plugs has a 4mm barrel opening or approximately .15" which is way too small for that wire.

I have some 4S6 on the way to me, and I already have some of the Vanguard DC plugs on hand so I can confirm all of this in a few days once I receive the wire shipment.

One could strip the outer jacketing off further up than normal and then use the plug's strain relief clamp directly on the actual conductor bundle, but that is decidedly less than optimal from a durability standpoint. I guess if you then added some heat shrink over the barrel/wire junction that should hold pretty well, and maybe even a turn or two of thin Teflon plumber's tape over the conductor bundle where it lines up with the plug clamp/strain relief would add back some durability too.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

I wasn't sure it would. .. Squeeze it in and like you said some creative heatshrinking.... Maybe a very small cable tie, I haven't tried hot glue or silicone in one of these before....

Thank you Mikey?

Being a machinist in a past life...

Rather than spend the money on expensive Japanese Conns.  

A small CNC house could make small custom bigger aluminium shells for Alex and John? and just buy the inner plugs. 

Or is it the inner hot pin and GND that needs some extra room.

A knurled anodised turned custom shell can't be more than a dollar +.  If it takes 15 second each I'd be suprised....

Just thinking out load again..Apologies all.

3 minutes ago, Middy said:

A small CNC house could make small custom bigger aluminium shells for Alex and John? and just buy the inner plugs. 

Or is it the inner hot pin and GND that needs some extra room.

The rear opening of the Oyaide DC-2.1G plug shell is 6.45mm.   And yes, as I posted numerous times, the newer version is shortened and has the center pin and ground strap/strain relief too close together to be usable with big star-quad wire.  That's why I begged Oayide and had them put 1,000 of the original style back into production just for UpTone.  They will finally arrive in about 10 days, just before our current stock from last year runs out.

For DIY star-quad DC cables with big wire and barrel connectors, unless you are willing to solder a small pair pigtail and then solder-splice, there really are only two choices: The original Oyaide plugs or the screw terminal/barrel plugs.

Since I have the market cornered on the original Oyaide plugs (and please no e-mails asking me to sell 'em by the piece), I'd suggest people get comfortable with the screw terminal type.