IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

32 minutes ago, Cornan said:

My greasy reading glasses and my three dollar helping hand was just not sufficient for the job

The vises are heavier and stronger then those cheap-o 3rd Hands and should work better for you there. To address the 'greasy reading glasses' problem, I'd suggest the Opti-Visor Binocular Magnifier

They provide selectable magnification, decent eye protection, easy to use and adjust, and work over your existing prescription glasses. Not real cheap, but you can find some knock-offs at better prices, if you don't need the quality optics and construction. I recommend them for all fine work, and older eyes  :)

P.S. I have been using WBT Silver Solder for audio projects since the early '80s. Got a small spool from Welborne Labs, back when they were a reputable outfit :(

Still have enough left to handle my foreseeable connection needs. The small extra cost is easily amortized over the decades of improved connections I've made :)

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

I surely was missing a steady holding hands, my own both hands, a good light and a magnifyer a lot in my first DC cable trials! ?

I advise setting up your connection so that you are not holding anything that gets hot !

That way you: don't burn your fingers; the joints are mechanically sound, you won't move the joint while it's cooling and crystallize the grain structure; you have both hands free for iron and solder (or to steady the iron).

This may take a combination of cleaning, wrapping, crimping, 3rd Hand clamps, vises, weights, shims, tensioning the wires a bit, whatever... Use your creativity and whats at hand.

Well that, and the time to set up up properly. But after that, the soldering itself is simple, quick, and usually results in a fine solder joint, so well worth the effort IMO.

Soldering is a skill, yes, but one that's readily learned and practiced, using the right tools and procedures. Just like most things :)

2 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I assume...

Gentlemen, can we please not Quote an entire big post ?  We have seen it already, and don't need to have to scroll over it again to get to new content.

Just select a small section of the post text that is representative of what you are replying about. A small box will pop up labeled "Quote this", click it and the Reply editor will appear with your highlighted text in a "So and so said..." block. Enter your reply below it...

I think we have enough problems scrolling through masses of posts and thread list, don't you ?

Thanks,

51 minutes ago, tboooe said:

My deepest apologies.  Sorry to ruin your weekend.  I posted that from my phone so was not paying attention.  Offending post edited.  

Oh, please... it was just a word-to-the-wise, not a diss !  Save your indignation for when you really need it, and that is not now. Besides you were only a convenient example, as so many are "guilty" 9_9

Chill out, and thanks for fixing the post. Surprised you could still edit it.

6 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The open open shield at one end is NOT the right way to do it. The last time I tried to bring this up...

John,

I, for one, would be interested. I don't recall getting a clear grasp of the issue from your previous attempt. And I have been using one-end grounded, shielded, star-quad config, Mogami 2534, DIY interconnect cables for a looong time now. Not that my analog source was that challenging, but it was a best practice from that time. So I'm still very curious about the theory, measurements, and/or listening experiences around this issue.

P.S. (to All, not just John) why has this thread page expanded its width beyond my normal viewport ??  Makes it hard to read !

45 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Michael, what dc plug is that?  Seems it'd be ideal for the Canare 4SG which is only 6.4mm.

If you read back thru Michael's (very welcome !) previous posts in this thread, you will find the links to this French connector.

5 hours ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

IF you look at the photo's of the USPCB in the press release you can see that even with the Heatshrink it will be just a bit wider than the width of an "A" metal shell

Michael,

I think the confusion here is that the concern is about the USPCB's length, not its width. Will there be enough room for the power connector and cable to bend out without interferring with the case of whatever is plugged into the other end of the very short USPCB ?

9 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

OK - got it - but only if using it between PC/Streamer and ISO Regen, which is not it's intended purpose

Well, I have a Regen connected with a hard adapter to the output of an Intona, and it's a bit of a tight fit for an ordinary barrel conn/cord between the two.

And if we would think on it more, could probably come up with other situations, then just these two  :) 

Come to think of it, this seems like a good application for a right-angle connector. Not any gold plated, that I know of, but the ones I've used fit tight enough and had no problems soldering 'normal' wire  :)

23 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

Have just ordered 2 of these - will need to be modified to accept larger dia. cable

That looks all too familiar !  You should have PM'ed me, cause I have far too many of those for my needs  :)

The only way I can see to modify that device for the kind of wire gauge in vogue here is to cut out the back of the two shells (the side opposite the metal barrel). and then add a heat-shrink sleeve to contain the center conductor wire. Do-able. Using a flush cutter to chop out that back ridge, with file cleanup, will quickly make a trough in the box for the 2nd big wire (through probably bigger then the hole in the solder tab :o ).

59 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

World's first gold plated, right angled

Ok, great job, but spill the beans on where/how you came up with the right angle connecter ! Home made perhaps ?  And why tease us with that crummy old Amazon thing :)

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Superdad said:

All the interconncts we did at Hovland Company (the famous Music Groove 2 tonearm-to-preamp cable and our G3 line-level cable) were star-quad designs,

Alex,

What did you do about shielding with those cables ?

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I intend to find out! ? I just ordered a 10-pack of the same one in another colour (transparent/black). I will report back if they work as intended.

When you get them, check out the way they 'connect' to the wires. It looks like they may have notched blades which may cut into your wire, connecting, but perhaps damaging the wire mechanically, and maybe not the best connection, all told.

Let us know what you think...

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

Not only that, but...

Another informative post that deserves to be saved in a pinned thread with limited 'write' rights, to keep the collection of 'great answers to common questions' from being buried under the firehose of normal noise posts.

Once you set up the threads and load them with some selected content, adding more would be a simple transaction, and question traffic would start to decrease (or at least get more interesting :) ). I have no earthly idea how you manage to live, design, manufacture, all while reading and posting so much ?!?  So, I figure that anything that might lessen that load might be welcome.

Yeah I've mentioned this before (JS), and I realize that you have more pressing priorites right now, but I don't want to let you forget about it  :)

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

I don't think anyone has actually ask yet but what does the external wire actually do and how does it make a cables existing shield do it's job properly?

It has been explained before, but not often, so here goes my attempt:

As electromagnetic waves intersect the cables shield, they induce currents in it. Think of an EM wave front impinging on a shield's 'tube' at about a 45 degree angle. As the wave moves along the metal tube electrons get excited and want to move too. The external wire shorts these induced currents into heat, and prevents a buildup of charge that might get induced into the signal wires.

At least, that is how I see it...

5 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Are you able to share your thoughts on my question above, regarding ethernet cables.

Sean, thanks for the comment !

It's funny that you ask me this today, as I was just thinking about my 'relationship' with networking in audio, prompted by something I read this morning. The thing is I don't do 'Audio Ethernet' obsession/tweaking/spending/debugging and so on  :)

I looked at the idea of using a networked NAS for my library, what... 5-6 years ago, and decided that it wasn't for me, and I haven't regretted that decision since.

I notice quite a few threads on CA devoted to expensive LAN gear, setup, and what-not. Not to mention the isolators, power supplies (!!), and maybe even a little magic pixie dust :)  It really isn't that surprising, considering that our CA Lord and Master (Chris C) is, deep inside, a network geek. So his interest and expertise would influence a (perhaps disproportional) concentration of interest. Mind you I don't follow any of those threads, only watch them go by in Activity/Unread Posts, and a little taste here and there.

I tend to think the whole furor over switches and PSUs and CAT cables is kindda crazy :)  Like quantum stones and magic disks  :ph34r: But, then, like those weird ground boxes, I see 'something' going on there. Like my own experience with USB, SPDi/F and Toslink cables, where they all sounded very differently ! So I am of two minds on the subject (which I am quite fine existing in that state, as it often leads to better insight).

So, if you're still with me, I don't have any experience with Ethernet cables in an audio application. My music server connects with WiFi for web, partly due to its location, but also less hassle, and perfect galvanic isolation ( ;) )  I do have a nice Blue Jeans CAT6a for a NAA experiment, I didn't get around to. It was recommended by Alex C of UpTone Audio, so...  And a client is interested in connecting to his PS Audio DAC Bridge II card, so I might get some experience, if he is of a mind to experiment.

On 6/13/2017 at 8:13 PM, Em2016 said:

I thought if you had an end to end shielded ethernet cable, like many of these fully shielded Cat7 and Cat8 ethernet cables out there, then even with the external wire added, you may still have leakage loops through the shield?

I'm not sure exactly what "end to end shielded" means, as I kinda assume that a cable shield goes from one end of the wire to the other, right  ?!?

And I didn't quite get what John S said:

31 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

"... You can get the advantage of shielding without having to connect the shield to the boxes possibly creating a leakage loop."

What isn't clear to me is if the shield is connected to the connector shell, and (maybe) thus connected to other parts of the system... ?

BUT, (if you're still reading) what I am fairly clear on, is that a Shorted Cable Shield (SCS ?), that is, a cable with both ends of the shield connected with a small straight'ish wire, will absorb and destroy EM energy (WiFi radio ?), preventing it from affecting the signal conductors to extremely low amounts, and without having to be connected to anything but itself. (OMG, like those mysterious and awfully named ground boxes :( )

That is one thing. The other thing you mention, 'leakage loops' has little to do with the SCS mod, but can happen through connected shields, signal grounds, or weirder stuff. Best to read back over Johns posts on the subject, or hope he chimes in on your particular question.

Sorry if I rambled on too much, but I was having fun  :D

10 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I'm super interested in how you go with your BJC Cat 6a cable for your client. Is it just this straight external wire modification that you are doing or any other modification?

My client has a 'hot-rodded' (by me) Mac Mini, which is blowing him away with just iTunes and ?? USB cable. He wants to try connecting into the Ethernet post in his PSA DAC Bridge II card. I offered my BJC CAT6a, but his 'PC support' guy has a ?? crossover cable. Then I picked up a nice 10' GigaWare CAT5e crossover for $2 at a Radio Shack Going-Out-Of-Business-For Real-This-Time sale !

Not sure where this is going yet... Would be nice to experiment with diff. cables, but the only way to use the PSA Bridge card is with DLNA. The only software that my guy is willing to deal with, and supports DLNA, is JRiver Media Center. I installed it and have it sharing a library with iTunes, both have extensive playlists and views... (oops got off track) The problem is that JRMC sounds crappy  :( The client has a great ear, and he picked up on that real fast. That is not going to help evaluating Ethernet vs USB, much less different cables. I want him to try Audirvana+, but that will have to be at his pace.

So, I'll try and remember to let you know when/if anything happens along the lines of your interest. Good night...