IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

Just for the Brits.

I found this place that does by the metre quite cheap.

http://www.canford.co.uk/CANARE-L-4E-STARQUAD-MICROPHONE-CABLE-Deployable

Not for manufacturing but hobby cable.

for a male to male cable could you maintain resistance capacitance  if you only fitted one wire in a receptacle by soldered its twin onto that lead?.  Ect strip the sleeve back but the reverse on the other end.

One in receptacle  solder twin onto that cable.

Reverse on the other end so the net length is equal on the 2 wires.

Hot and ground.

Bypassing the need for the expensive connector?  but keeping resistance capacitance equal

Rather than forcing 2 wires in a small hole?

Just a thought...?

13 hours ago, tedwoods said:

High quality diy plugs and wire from the parallel universe of the guitar world:

1. https://www.3monkeysamps.com/collections/all/products/new-product

2. https://www.3monkeysamps.com/collections/all/products/3-monkeys-solderless-cable

They are solderless too...

The wife could make those..

I taught her:  lefty loosey , Right tightey 

She can use a hair dryer.. Job done..

You could use simple self cutting nut on multi strand wires. A light cone shape just gripping the outer wires. 

it's the same technique when stripping wires for tinning. leave a small section of sleeving don't pull it off ...twist clockwise to stop bird caging the bundle before tinning...

pop each one in the top housing....

Multi million dollar idea done...?

Ill call you all from my private jet later..

A great design

I think it could be scaled up to multi core and multiple wires. Canare quad.

4 self tapping heads and fitted into a body... no soldering..

I found these as a cheap alternative gold plated: 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182139945637

fancy ones

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Gold-Plated-DC-Jack-5-5mm-2-1mm-2-5mm-DC-Power-Connector-plug-/132118795705?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150519202348%26meid%3D495d8ccbd74c4d3d83773c0e4724b253%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D18%26sd%3D182139945637&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Both ?  A little DIY bling  never hurts

I thought why not. I don't think I will get free shipping from the USA. 

(Just asked for a quote ?) Ty Tboooe Austinpop

I ordered UK Vandame quad 2 metres.

Shielded... Only short length supply..

All the DIY cables I have tried I haven't had much luck improving SQ but I can do these.

Ohms law is something to do with a Victorian detective to me.. but soldering...?

I did get into trouble in work as we had American VIPS.  One asked me if I do sod-her-ing (Sol-der-ing UK)  Only with the right girl.... They laughed but my boss wasn't happy....

John if you have time do you do anything... what was the thoughts on shields you mentioned with Alex and the wrong way... I remembered before your theory on having open ended with a wire soldered on the outside?

No problem either way. 

Thanks all

Dave

I wasn't sure it would. .. Squeeze it in and like you said some creative heatshrinking.... Maybe a very small cable tie, I haven't tried hot glue or silicone in one of these before....

Thank you Mikey?

Being a machinist in a past life...

Rather than spend the money on expensive Japanese Conns.  

A small CNC house could make small custom bigger aluminium shells for Alex and John? and just buy the inner plugs. 

Or is it the inner hot pin and GND that needs some extra room.

A knurled anodised turned custom shell can't be more than a dollar +.  If it takes 15 second each I'd be suprised....

Just thinking out load again..Apologies all.

saying all this it coming from Hong-Kong. ....But it's the geometry is the key factor in all this and I think no shield..

John's explanation when he is ready will be interesting about shields.

But I am all excited about getting an ISO, begging UK Martin from VortexBox to put me on the list in his batch. I don't know yet ...Fingers crossed...

But these cable orders should hit about this time. Then I can worry about fitting 6mm cable in 4 mm connector.

For the hot pin it will probably be solder a cut  shorter wire to the longer wire and feed the longer of the 2 into the hot receptial. I have the CCTV plugs from some led strips from last year so I can try them also...

Me being mean and buying cheap connectors I might have a way around DIY style...

Drill out the brass shell in 1 mm increments. to accept the 6mm canare..

on the hot pin slit slot in 2 or 4 places and use needle pliers to open it up.

?

2017-04-24 21.02.18.png

2017-04-24 21.07.32.png

A minor detail i finaly figured out. The oyaide connectors have what i thought was an o ring on the 5.5mm OD shaft.

But they are just 3 spacers/ silicone washers.

For those not buying oyaide O rings work but are fixed widths. So make your own from 5mm silicone tubing.

ie

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361492365924

A rubber cutting tip is use a clean blade dipped on soapy dish detergent and water. Use a steel rule or similar to flatten the tube for a straight cut washer.

These are solid brass rather than machine stamped. But what is marketing blurb and a genuine benefit i am not sure. The gold makes no real difference just less reactive to the atmosphere. A tiny amount of deoxit fixes that. I do like the look though.

Utones oyaide version older type from John and alex cabling advice. Accepts that 6mm.. on the shell and bigger receptacles ? to solder into?.

Canare x4 wires matter as John explains.

The older Oyaide easy-to-use for 6mm canare compared. 

Smaller Quad cable. a got a meter yesterday Should easy fit. the shell but John's 18awg canare is what i am aiming for.

Look back up the thread for the Older Oyaide DC connector type.

4 hours ago, tboooe said:

What are you going to use that for?

Many have asked me that question...?

58fe5b96798c5_2017-04-2421_02_18.thumb.png.8a5a77136da6c6bab1182981dcc6bdac.png

The Oyaide connectors come with 3 spacers. But they are longer , my version connector may not need them but this is a very cheap quick fix, i can custom cut to size...and i like green Rubber..?

The devil makes work of idle internet searches. .

It calms my ISO waiting angst....

1493333978539-1108168718.jpg

Lovely work gents, this thread has that perfect community feel. Just nice people helping each other. Getting to be a rare thing these days.

I stared down a microscope for years smelling of flux .

Small tips for soldering wires. 

1. Before removing the sleeving when stripping off the end. Twist the sleeving clockwise with the wire direction. Pull twist for tight wires.  Keeps the end wires from fraying... like a bird cage.

2. Tinning is the term for adding a little solder. Flux removes oxide for a good joint. metal to metal. dont go mad with flux on wire. just a bit. Hold the wire downward. Gravity is your friend. Flick or wipe off excess.

3. tinning a wire you can cause solder to flow far past the sleeving making it stiff. 

Do a 2 mini part tinning on the wire.

Now hold the wires upward.. heat rising is now your  friend. 

Hardly any solder in the iron tip. Hold and move up just to hold the wires together.

3 Solder the hot pin on the connector. Dont hold it on there 2 long.

Use a hair dryer on the connector to heat it up first. Much easier. 

4 place tinned wire into hot pin receptical on on top of solder. add a little flux to wire and pin. Add solder to tip and heat the hot pin receptacle  not the tinned wire and feed into hole.

Some basic tools really help her as you need 3 arms.

Those cheap crocodile clips on an arm with a magnification glass help.

Good metal tweezers. Solder Wick braid.

A smaller tipped iron.

Any help just ask.

Dave?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01882K0OC?psc=1

Better than some i have seen for the hobby market.

Tip cleaner is great stuff.

100% Alcohol Isopropyl nice for cleaning up flux. A cheap bottle of methylated spirit also good. 

But just practice on old spare wire for 20 mins first. Its like wallpapering... the first  drops  aren't so great the last few great.

Well ventilated room though soldering.

Wash your hands afterwards..