IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

1 minute ago, MikeyFresh said:

My problem is the Oyaide DC-2.1 plugs I have were purchased some time ago, as in probably about 2 years ago, I don't know for sure if they are the old or the new version when the model number didn't change, I think they are the old version.

6.45 mm is approximately .253", so I think the Canare 4S6 wire will actually fit the barrel, but it remains to be seen whether I can then reliably solder the connections with the close proximity 20 gauge wire pairs.

I'll know soon.

I do not want to dicourage you, but I did try to solder Furutech 18awg on the new style Oyiade DC-2.1 (ie. the smaller version) and failed miserably. Bad soldering gears and bad eye sight was my excuse then, but to be honest I am not a good friend with soldering irons in general. It surely can be done, but require proper gears, great skills and a steady hand! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

11 minutes ago, Daudio said:

Since I already had a couple of these kind of vises in my shop for modeling work, I found them very handy for clamping RCA and other type connectors very solidly for soldering wires to them. Could also be used to clamp the ends of long, heavy cables to attach connectors. I like that these vises can sit squarely on 4 different sides (orientations) for lots of flexibility of use. Much better for audio use then those 'Third Hand' devices, IMO.

Micromark Toolmakers Vises

Machine squares.jpg

A couple of my small machinest vises

Thanks Duaudio!

I will keep it in mind next time I am planning a soldering project. I have´nt got any laying around, but they should be extremely easy to find! :) However, for me personally the biggest problem was to actually see what/were I was soldering. My greasy reading glasses and my three dollar helping hand was just not sufficient for the job! :D

🎛️  Audio System  

44 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Elfa Distrelelec is more or less one of my favourite local shops. Great electrical gears! ? Clas Ohlson is more place to find reading glasses, shrinking tubes, cable hiders and that sort of stuff.?

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, Daudio said:

The vises are heavier and stronger then those cheap-o 3rd Hands and should work better for you there. To address the 'greasy reading glasses' problem, I'd suggest the Opti-Visor Binocular Magnifier

They provide selectable magnification, decent eye protection, easy to use and adjust, and work over your existing prescription glasses. Not real cheap, but you can find some knock-offs at better prices, if you don't need the quality optics and construction. I recommend them for all fine work, and older eyes  :)

P.S. I have been using WBT Silver Solder for audio projects since the early '80s. Got a small spool from Welborne Labs, back when they were a reputable outfit :(

Still have enough left to handle my foreseeable connection needs. The small extra cost is easily amortized over the decades of improved connections I've made :)

If you scrobble up this thread you can see that I already bookmarked a binocular magnifyer almost identical to yours! ? I wish I had the eyes of a teenager, but unfortunately both clean swiped reading glasses and binocular magnifyer is needed if I want to solder those new style Oyiade. 

I personally use Cardas silver solder with great results (when I succeed)! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

7 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I need a magnifier! I once had 20/15 vision, a VERY long time ago. Now even my reading glasses barely cut it anymore.

With everything seemingly under control at the office, and Friday being a 76° day in NY after nearly 2 weeks of rain and clouds, I took a half day and among other chores such as yard work to clear time on the weekend, I will build my DIY cable.

I pulled out the kit and decided to try the Oyaide SS-47 solder along with a brand new tip on my Hakko 936.

I know the Cardas and WBT solder are outstanding, and I also know the Mundorf is kind of a PIA by direct comparison, lets see how the SS-47 does in an all-Japanese build with Canare 4S6 and Oyaide DC-2.1 plugs, RoHS compliant.

P4280966.jpg

Please keep us posted about the Oyiade SS-47! ?

I can tell you that all the things that I posted in my links earlier are for people like you and me. Youngsters do not have to care much since they have a clear eye sight and a steady hand! ? I surely was missing a steady holding hands, my own both hands, a good light and a magnifyer a lot in my first DC cable trials! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

3 hours ago, Middy said:

Arrgh God that wasn't nice especially with connectors that don't fit 6mm cable..  My soldering skills have gone down the pan and I need a better iron for home. Bad workman and tools ?

You can't do a nice job but an lesson in thinking it wouldn't be that hard.

Oyaide all the way....

I managed to get the wires in the hot pin by squashing the hot pin into an oval tinning the 2 wires together and filing....yes filing off the edges and jam then in.. 

Hats off too Michael and super dad /John......

The shrouds are plastic but still to small for 6mm after drilling them out....

No more well meaning advice from me..I need it myself...

?

I'll try the Screw ones next..

Been there...done that. Trust me. You will from now on love the screw terminal DC plugs! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 minute ago, pl_svn said:

before I order one too (thank you so much @R1200CL :) )... does the Canare bend easily?

I need it 20-30cm long and must bend to a "U" between a Regen and LPS-1 without pushing them apart

thanks

The Canare 4S6 is extremely flexible and easy to work with. You will be fine making a U-turn! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-2-Pin-2-Way-dc-ac-300v-10a18-24awg-Electrical-Wire-Auto-Connector-Set-Free/32495458860.html?spm=2114.40010608.4.1.bhpZJ1

5pcs-2-Pin-2-Way-dc-ac-300v-10a-Universal-Compact-Wire-Wiring-Connector-T-SHAPE.jpg_640x640.thumb.jpg.3ba0c4ca2ebbd1179caefa44cac0467b.jpg

Looks like something that would work great for a DIY Canare 4S6 Y-split cable. ?

I'll guess it even will be possible to do a 3- or 4-split bable using a bunch of these! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Actually it's 4X20AWG, so effectively 17AWG.  Ahh, I see you would bear out each area so effectively 18 to 19 AWG.  Yeah it probably would work, don't know if I would want to do that.  Lose my star quad configuration.  But then any Y cable (which I would not do) would be messy with the star quad.

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=63

I intend to find out! ? I just ordered a 10-pack of the same one in another colour (transparent/black). I will report back if they work as intended.

10pcs 2 Pin dc/ac 300v 10a 18-22awg no welding no screws Quick Connector cable clamp Terminal Block 2 Way Easy Fit for led strip
http://s.aliexpress.com/ErmeIzIB

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, Daudio said:

When you get them, check out the way they 'connect' to the wires. It looks like they may have notched blades which may cut into your wire, connecting, but perhaps damaging the wire mechanically, and maybe not the best connection, all told.

Let us know what you think...

I will report back with some close-up pictures when they arrive (was already sent out today). Agree that it looks like they have gold plated copper blades similar to the tool-free clip-on RJ45 plugs.

🎛️  Audio System  

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Looking forward to your report!

Ghent's Y-cable is north of $60, which is a bit much IMO. I would love to find a DIY option that doesn't require soldering.

I hope they'll work well. I would also be thrilled to find a simple solder free solution for a split DC cable. In theory you can also just add a leg if you'll need it with this clip. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

• 2 weeks later...