I *really* like this thread, thank you.  In fact I hope that Chris opens a whole subforum dedicated to budget gear.  I've been getting lots of budget items recently as gifts, so I've been studying... and urge everybody to look around for reviews.  For example...

The Schiit "Mimby" (slang for "Modi Multiibit"), how did you miss this one?  At $250 new it's a monster, and by all accounts better than the base Bifrost.  I had the $600 Bimby and found it magnificent, way better than the very good base Bifrost Uber/USB2 which I upgraded (at $250) to multibit.

So I've been gotten several of these: 

Speakers: Micca B42X, passive, $90/pr.  Really outstanding, not much bass of course.

Eager to try the ELACs, a derivative of the Pioneers that Jud spoke of in the earlier thread.

Curious about the active Micca PB42s.  The JBL 305s get nothing but raves everywhere, using just little 40W class D amps inside.

Amps and receivers: $275 Parasound Zamp v.3: wonderful and strong; also $360 Teac AI301 DAC/receiver: Musical, versatile, nicely stout.  The latter is the new embodiment of receiver: has a DAC instead of a tuner, a strong, cool-running Class D amp, simple.  Even binding posts, you never used to see that on gear this inexpensive.

Schiit Saga preamp ($350): not unboxed yet, but reviews are glorious.  Going into a Zamp/Micca/Mimby system, *probably* replacing a Parasound Zpre preamp.

U-turn Orbit turntable.  $180 and very upgradable.

U-turn Pluto MM phono preamp, $90.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:11 PM, bigbob said:

One of the drawbacks to the iFi nano LE was the amplification stage for headphones. The Schiit Modi 2, at $99 is a very-entry level external DAC, and it sounds better than the iFi, on my system.

I am using the Schiit SYS passive pre-amp for volume control, and my receiver is just pushing out it's 20w/channel turned up half. I have tried different variations--the SYS at half way, the receiver turned up full, the SYS at halfway and the receiver at half-way, which gives me good control as the recording levels vary from file to file. When I was using the nano LE, that put a third volume control in the signal path, and I rightly assumed that too many Pots spoiled the soup. With the nano, the sound was crispy, almost edgy.

I think the Modi 2 is a good pure external DAC for what I am doing. The next price point up is Schiit's Bifrost at $399, which is out of my financial reach.

Compared to my 'system', $2K would be a World away-- I figure I have invested a little more than $500, and that includes the Advents new in 1975 at $125 a pair and the re-foam in 1990.

Since my love of Music centered around the 24-bit/96hz Soundboard recordings of my beloved Grateful Dead, I did make one upgrade to the speaker screens--with a tee-shirt I bought a year ago at Hippie Fest.

DSC08753_v1.JPG

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:26 AM, Melvin said:

Hey Sam .. I've been pleasantly surprised with the great sound I've been getting out of my 2 latest integrated amp acquisitions (Fleawatt TPA3116D2 and APPJ PA0901A). Amazing sound for so little cash! Thanks for sharing. Have fun. 

Thanks Melvin, I'll investigate both.  Lots of praise for the Fleawatt.

On 4/23/2017 at 1:38 PM, bigbob said:

When I bought the Modi 2, I really didn't consider the Multibit because of the price. I was replacing a AQ Dragonfly v1.2, which I bought on close-out for $79. I guess I can plead ignorance of what "Multibit" meant at that time. But, I might consider it as an upgrade instead of the Bifrost...Thanks for the tip!

My pleasure.  If you look around you'll find the Mimby is well beyond the current base Bifrost by some margin by most accounts.  Mimby is supposed to be very, very close to the Bimby.  Bimby just sounds great: no flavor, just sounds like a +$3k DAC to me.  Super detail, dynamics, and such natural imaging.  Superbly musical.

On 4/23/2017 at 1:50 PM, bigbob said:

For me the convenience of building a playlist from my library of files, and sitting back and listening sure beats getting up to turn over a LP. And who spends $2,300 on a device to remove dust and dirt from a vinyl pressing anyhow.

+1.   But just FYI, you can create an ultrasonic cleaning station for $200, or buy a super convenient off-the-shelf model for $500.  Check Analog Corner for reports.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.