IGNORED

Do you leave your DAC powered on all the time?

I was reading about this in another thread, and I didn't want to hijack it any more than had already been done, so I'm starting this one.

I'm in the habit of turning everything off but my computer (which stays on all the time for a variety of reasons).  

My DAC (a TEAC NT-503) has an auto-off feature (that can be turned off) that turns it off if idle for more than 20 minutes (the only time-out option).  Because of this, I just assumed there is no harm in turning stuff off, and my midwestern puritanical upbringing is such that I hate leaving stuff turned on, especially when I am not at home.

On some occasions where the DAC/amp have been left on overnight, I have never heard any obvious difference or improvement, but then again I wasn't expecting to, and wasn't listening for it.

So, is this good practice, or audiphoolry?

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

It's a mac.  In my experience, unix-based systems can go for years without a reboot. (Given our electrical supply and grid, that never happens here.)

Sure enough, I was forced to reboot it this morning.  Audirvana became a Zombie process.