IGNORED

Do you leave your DAC powered on all the time?

11 hours ago, esldude said:

If people took part in listening tests I would put up files recorded dead cold vs one week on.  Just for discussion and entertainment.  I have found people like to argue about what they hear more than simply listen and choose.  They seem intimidated by actually choosing with the risk of being wrong. Even though the only downside to choosing wrong is a little loss of face paired with really learning something.  Seems like a good bargain to me.

:thumbsup:

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

52 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Sure enough, I was forced to reboot it this morning.  Audirvana became a Zombie process.

Way back when, I got my best friend at work (who unfortunately passed away years ago) to install a Zombie screensaver for Halloween.  Even after he supposedly uninstalled it, every so often zombies would pop up from the bottom of his screen and walk around his desktop.  This was back when very little was animated in UIs, so it was a very different thing.  I'm sure it was some programmer's joke (zombies, get it?), but it gave him the willies, because he thought he'd been pwned.  (I'm not even sure we had the term back then.)  And he didn't dare contact support about it, since it wasn't an authorized install.  Of course every time he saw this and went nuts, I and all his other friends would dissolve in laughter.  Eventually he managed to get rid of it, or it went away on its own.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

19 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

I often wonder whether the real warm-up process occurs in our ears.  I do believe my DAC sounds better some 20+ minutes after I first turn it on.  But  If we assume that our system's reproduction isn't perfect ,then each time we turn it on there needs to be some adjustment in our brains to reprogram how we hear our system's sound in a way that "makes sense to our brain."  So might it not be the case that after about 30 minutes of listening we have made all the necessary mental adjustments and gotten comfortable with them in a way that makes our system sound better, even if it hasn't changed at all from the moment we turned it on?  I have no idea how to test this.  Additionally, someone could make a valid case that all these mental adjustments should be finished in the first minute or two, not over 30 minutes. 

There is no way to A/B test this as you would need to always wait 30 minutes between switching.  Having said that, I think my DAC always sounds better 20 minutes in, whether or not it was turned on or off before I started the listening  session...

Always a way to test. :)  You just need someone else with the same DAC.  Warm one up, leave one cold, play and see which you prefer (to really do it well and avoid echoic memory issues, you would have to use mono and sync the two to play simultaneously, each in one channel).  Change which one is warmed up and see if preference changes accordingly.

Edit: With appropriate blinding, of course. :)

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

my understanding is that is [a] cloned or rewritten, and has the nice GUI shell

maybe I am not grepping the question?

just ideas as to why OSX may not have the same uptime duration as a VAX or something running Berkeley etc. 

Jordan Hubbard, Mike Smith, and Terry (sorry, forget his last name), FreeBSD (BSD standing for Berkeley Software Distribution) project leader and kernel hackers, respectively, hired by Apple to work on OS X in its relatively early days, might be surprised to see it differentiated from "something running Berkeley."  The "nice GUI shell" is different, yep.

Edit: Terry Lambert