IGNORED

SOTM tX-USBultra impressions

3 hours ago, str-1 said:

What I am less clear about is the value of upgrading the tX-U's internal wiring (the eABS upgrade at just under £20 seems a no-brainer).  I don't suppose many will have heard both wiring upgrades (UPOCC copper and UPOCC silver).  But if anyone has some comments to offer on what they found in upgrading from standard wiring to one or other of these, I would be most grateful.  I'm wondering if the differences between the two are mostly tonal or whether there is more to it than that.  Thanks.

I did the eABS-200 myself in my tX-U and can confirm there is a perceptible improvement in SQ.  Given the price, it is a no-brainer.

I have never seen an independent comparison of the upgraded copper vs. silver upgrades.  I have silver wire in all of my SOtM devices.  I believe SOtM uses stranded copper or silver for the upgrades.  I would guess that the amount of wire involved is minimal, and I believe the AWG is high.  If cost is a concern, I would do the copper UPOCC upgrade and invest the difference in an Audio Sensibility silver DC cable.  If silver wire is an interest, I believe you will get a lot more bang for your buck with that approach.  (Audio Sensibility also makes a 16 AWG copper cable, which I have not heard.  @mozes favorite DC cable is a 14 AWG copper cable.  I am not sure of the source.)

Generally, I have found high quality silver wire offers a big improvement in transparency, detail, and sound stage as compared to copper wire.  I am not bothered by any changes in tonality, but I can understand how others may prefer copper.  I suppose it's a personal thing. 

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, oilpaint said:

I have a tXUSBUltra and one of the USB inputs has broken - the little white plastic piece inside the port broke off. There are two USB inputs so I have been using the other one without issue. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this??

I had that problem with my micro Rendu (twice).  USB ports can be delicate.