IGNORED

SOTM tX-USBultra impressions

4 hours ago, moussaobeid said:

Although I am happy with the sound I got, I am still not 100% content with the fact that I lost two isolation devices in my system, LPS-1 and intona. These two isolation tweaks gave me a big boost in sound in my previous setup, and now that I have a better sound without these isolation devices in the chain, I am wondering whether I am getting the full potential of the super clock in the tX. 

In other words the gain from the tX is bigger than the loss of 2 isolation units, what if the isolation is still there?

I hear you, and have the same question. Well, let's break it down:

1. Inline isolation on the USB chain (like the Intona) - this is a classic tradeoff between signal integrity and isolation. Both Uptone, SOtM, and others, have said that galvanic isolation on USB is hard to do without compromising jitter. The Intona is said to have subpar clocks. So the net effect of an isolation device is the benefit of leakage loop removal, but also the loss of signal integrity due to poor clocks. So the net benefit here is questionable, and in some cases, could be a net loss in SQ, like you saw. Of course, you could add an ISO-Regen (powered by LPS-1) upstream of the tX-USBultra! :D Only half-joking - it may actually sound rather good, but at a significant cost.

2. Isolation from AC (a la LPS-1): here, there is very likely a gain to be had, but at a cost of another ultracapacitor supply, i.e. another VR Mini, i.e. another $1k. Cha-ching!
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, doraymon said:

Mac Mini Roon Server > AQVOX AQ-SWITCH-8 > SOtM sMS-200ultra > SOtM tX-USBultra > Singxer KTE SU-1 DDR > Holo Audio KTE Spring DAC L3  > Pathos Acoustics Aurium > MrSpeakers Ether C Flow / Focal Clear

In this system the SU-1 is needed to transform the USB signal to I2S and feed the Spring DAC and although it's a fantastic (modded) D/D converter, its clock is probably not at the level of the one in the tX-USBultra.

Don't be afraid to experiment. I understand the desire to drive the DAC via I2S, but sometimes the "known truths" about preferred DAC inputs can be upended by improved clocking upstream. I would recommend the following:

• Upgrade you SU-1 to accept an LPS input, and drive it with an LPS-1 or other high quality PSU
  • Compare these 2 configurations and use your ears to decide with you like better:
    1. I2S input: SOtM tX-USBultra > Singxer KTE SU-1 DDR < I2S > Holo Audio KTE Spring DAC L3
    2. USB input: SOtM tX-USBultra > < USB > Holo Audio KTE Spring DAC L3
  • If 1) sounds significantly better than 2) then also try:
    • 3. AES input: SOtM tX-USBultra > Singxer KTE SU-1 DDR < AES > Holo Audio KTE Spring DAC L3
  • Does 3) also sound better than 2)?
  • If yes, then consider replacing the (tX-USBultra > SU-1) combo with a SOtM dX-USB HD "Ultra." SOtM sells this DDC with the sCLK-EX, and even the master reference clock input.

It's been a while, but I remember comparing the LPS-modded SU-1 vs. the dX-USB HD "Ultra" in @limniscate's system. I think we compared:

• sMS-200ultra > dX-USB HD "Ultra" > Schiit Yggy vs.
  • sMS-200ultra > modded SU-1 powered by LPS-1 > Schiit Yggy

using AES, and liked the dX better. Eric - did I remember right?

I know the dX is an older XMOS version, but Lee (of SOtM) told us at RMAF that in his evaluation, XMOS2 added more functionality, not better SQ.

Thanks for the hint  and guess what, configuration 2 seems to sound better than 1.

That is, the sMS-200ultra and the tX-USBultra (both powered by an sPS-500) feeding directly into the Spring's USB seems to sound much more detailed than through the SU-1. Also, the bass sounds tighter but a bit dryer than solution 1.

That's great! It reinforces my points about revisiting "known truths."

Regarding the SU-1 PS upgrade with an LPS-1 I think I will not get any improvements over my actual SU-1 as this is the KTE - DDR upgraded version. 

I won't go into too many details but I trust my SU-1 is almost as good as the SU-1 can get.

Ah - I don't really follow the details of the SU-1 evolution. Sounds like you can run a simpler chain, and perhaps recoup some costs by selling unneeded gear!

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, mozes said:

No I won’t open the unit. Mine works fine on 7V and 9V without any issues or heat. 

What?! And I thought you were a DIY guy! Just kidding. :D

I've actually been considering doing this for a while, and even went and bought a Torx set to have the T8 size handy. Maybe when I open it up to add the EMI/RFI paper, I'll experiment with the jumpers. Maybe.

21 minutes ago, Luvdac said:

Hello all, posted this on the aries mini thread but no takers so far. My question is, would an aries mini benefit with the the tx usb ultra? Anyone here tried it? Would love some input.

I used to own an Aries Mini, and still remember it fondly. A great piece of kit. While I sold it before getting the SOtM trifecta, I can think of no reason why it would not benefit from the tX-USBultra downstream of it. 

Hopefully someone who has actually tried it will chime in.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, str-1 said:

What I am less clear about is the value of upgrading the tX-U's internal wiring (the eABS upgrade at just under £20 seems a no-brainer).  I don't suppose many will have heard both wiring upgrades (UPOCC copper and UPOCC silver).  But if anyone has some comments to offer on what they found in upgrading from standard wiring to one or other of these, I would be most grateful.  I'm wondering if the differences between the two are mostly tonal or whether there is more to it than that.  Thanks.

These are not the droids, er, wiring upgrades, you're looking for, but FWIW: 

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&amp;comment=839327

Do you know exactly what SOtM is offering wrt wiring upgrades? Remember, there are different "wires":

1. wire from BNC reference clock connector on rear panel to the sCLK-EX board - either U.FL or MCX connectors, depending on whether you're 50Ω or 75Ω.
  2. up to 3 wires from SMB connectors on rear panel to the corresponding U.FL connectors on the sCLK-EX board for the 3 available clock points on the sCLK-EX board
  3. one U.FL to U.FL wire internally, from the sCLK-EX board to the tX-USB's internal clock input.

My experiment (shamelessly copying @elan120) was only to replace the existing cheap (and long) wires with new shorter, but still cheap, wires. If anything, I would expect the UPOCC silver wires to be the more likely benefit, given what we've heard with silver Habst cables from the Ref-10 to the tX-U.

Just curious: what is the price of the wire upgrades?

33 minutes ago, str-1 said:

Thanks.  Yes, I remember reading your comments on the internal clock cable change.  

I discussed possibilities with May at SOtM back in April when I was first considering placing an order to upgrade my tX-U and buy an OCX-10, and she said they could fit the shorter 20cm cables if I wanted.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t go ahead with the order at that time.

As for the copper/silver wiring upgrades availabe when ordering a tX-U, this is only for the internal dc leads.  The details and pricing May sent me were as follows:

-      Change internal dc cables to 7N UPOCC silver wire : USD150(MSRP)

-      Change the internal dc cable to 7N UPOCC copper wire : USD130(MSRP)

-      Add eABS-200 : USD20(MSRP)

I too use silver DC leads. Unlike analog interconnects, I don't find silver in digital cables to add brightness at all - in fact, quite the opposite.

Just based on our experience with silver DC cables, I'd go with the silver wire upgrade, if it were me.

Too bad there aren't silver cables with U.FL connectors, because our experience with Habst silver BNC cables would suggest there's value in using silver there too.

• 2 years later...

My personal experience in dealing with SOtM on the rare repair issues has been outstanding. Now granted, as an influencer and reviewer, it's possible I've gotten atypically good service, but I currently have a friend who is working through an issue with his tX-USBultra, and his experience with Kamal at Crux Audio has been excellent so far.

My friend - on my advice - bought a used tX-USBultra SE and as luck would have it, the unit was defective. While the sCLK-EX board LEDs would light correctly with and without his REF-10 clock, the source and DAC would not achieve USB lock.

The seller was adamant in refusing to take it back, so I referred my friend to Kamal, who has been great to deal with. He had my friend send in the unit, diagnosed and repaired it within a week, and is shipping it back as we speak. And the cost was more than fair.

I definitely suggest you contact Kamal at Crux, and see what they can do to solve your issue.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

There are several reports of users (including myself) with both the ISO-Regen and the tX listed in the index of the novel thread in the first post. See https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/ and scroll down a bit.

If the question is specifically targeted to tX with a master clock, I'm trying to recall if I've written about it. I know I sold my iR before I got the REF 10, but I'm pretty sure I've had the iR back in my system from time to time for experiments.

All these products are not in my chain any more, but I can certainly try to answer some questions. What specifically did you guys want to know?

47 minutes ago, Duckworp said:

I will do this. I intend to order a Paul Hynes SR5 dual rail. This will power both the clock and the sms-200. So I could then also introduce a TX but I am not sure whether it is necessary to use a usb regenerator as well as the clock.  Would you think so?

Necessary? No. But will it sound better? Yes. Is the cost worth it? You’ll have to decide!

You’ll also need another good quality PSU for the tX. Get the SE version with master clock input, and feed it from the OCX10. Pay attention to which impedance ports you have available on the OCX10 after the sMS200ultra and the eR. Order the tX impedance accordingly.