IGNORED

Euphony Audio Transport ─ Euphony OS ─ Embedded, Headless OS For Music Servers

On 9/28/2018 at 4:23 PM, Ben-M said:

It's been a LONG time coming to fruition for me, but I'll be firing one of their ISO onto an SSD pretty soon to give it a listen in my streamer. 

There are several audiophile, purpose built OSes now, and I'm looking to give them all a listen in the same system as they all seem to have similar functionality which will lend to pretty equal testing. 

1. Euphony Stylus

2. Snakeoil OS

3. Daphile

4. HQPlayer Embedded

5. Audiophile Linux

6. AudioLinux Headless

7. Windows 10 Pro + Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer, Process Lasso, RoonBridge/HQPlayer

8. Windows Server 2016 + Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer, Process Lasso, RoonBridge/HQPlayer

Am I missing any other one? Excluding any Mac OS, of course. 

@Ben-M any benchmàrk yet? Especially vs daphile?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I followed the instructions to make a euphony bootable stick. After the initial menu with Euphony as the first (and chosen) option, the boot gets stuck at:

ERROR device UUID=[.... long string] not found. Skipping fsck.

mount: /new_root: can't find UUID=[.... same string]

You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off.

[rootfs ]#

Any idea?

audio system

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/20/2019 at 9:46 PM, zackthedog said:

I have some crow to eat. 😉. When this was initially presented some time ago on this forum, I was highly skeptical, in fact rather brutally so.  With about a dozen or more other Linux/MPD OS's available for free, I couldn't comprehend charging almost $300 for this entry.  Well, I decided to try the latest version, and I am amazed.  I tried the USB stick on several little mini-PC's I have collected.  Not only did it boot flawlessly on every device, but the sound was sweet and musical in a way that I haven't heard from any other MPD-based playback system, and made a cheap little Azulle mini-PC sound like a serious contender.  I eventually resurrected my old CAPS-style server and was amazed at the smooth naturalness of the sound.  I don't know how they do it, but I'm sold.  I purchased a license this evening.  Darn it. 😉

Hi Zack, What Model Azulle did you achieve this result with?

• 7 months later...

I hope someone is still following this thread, as I have a few questions regarding Euphony Stylus.

I heard many good things about Euphony Stylus, so I wanted to try it, and I got a trial licence a few days ago. In the beginning I was really battling through installation, till I finally found my way how to get it up and running. I have Stylus on a USB flash drive plugged into a MacBook Air running Catalina. The learning curve was a bit steep and I went through lots of trial and errors. One thing I learnt is to never unplug the USB flash drive, or else Stylus goes immediately off-line. The major problem for me now is to get my local library into Stylus. The library is on an external 2 TB SSD. I only have two USB ports on my MacBook Air, one holds the USB flash drive, the other USB port is connected to my Devialet. Unplugging either of the two creates havoc, and even if that worked, the external USB drive is not recognised.

One idea I had is to create a small library on the internal disk of my Mac Air. But Stylus doesn't recognise Mac's internal drive (at least I think), it only shows the partition of the USB flash drive.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get hold of my local library?

So far, I only stream music from Qobuz. This works perfectly well. And what I hear regarding SQ is excellent! So I really would like to get this thing working to test with some of my local files I know so well.

Thanks for any input!

4 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Why not use something like this? USB Extender? Contact Euphony USB & External SSD. 

DD4D3725-CED7-4EF4-A122-5975F2E2345D.png

Good idea, also thought of something like that. 

I already contacted Euphony several times about the issue, but they had (surprisingly) no suggestion. That's why I turned to this forum.

2 hours ago, biosailor said:

I hope someone is still following this thread, as I have a few questions regarding Euphony Stylus.

I heard many good things about Euphony Stylus, so I wanted to try it, and I got a trial licence a few days ago. In the beginning I was really battling through installation, till I finally found my way how to get it up and running. I have Stylus on a USB flash drive plugged into a MacBook Air running Catalina. The learning curve was a bit steep and I went through lots of trial and errors. One thing I learnt is to never unplug the USB flash drive, or else Stylus goes immediately off-line. The major problem for me now is to get my local library into Stylus. The library is on an external 2 TB SSD. I only have two USB ports on my MacBook Air, one holds the USB flash drive, the other USB port is connected to my Devialet. Unplugging either of the two creates havoc, and even if that worked, the external USB drive is not recognised.

One idea I had is to create a small library on the internal disk of my Mac Air. But Stylus doesn't recognise Mac's internal drive (at least I think), it only shows the partition of the USB flash drive.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get hold of my local library?

So far, I only stream music from Qobuz. This works perfectly well. And what I hear regarding SQ is excellent! So I really would like to get this thing working to test with some of my local files I know so well.

Thanks for any input!

Does your router have an "attach USB drive" feature? Network attached is the best route to go, will be more resolving than Qobuz and none of the digital

irritants of local attached drives. If not, a basic Synology NAS is cheap, $169 + drives on Amazon. Some work there; for Synology you would need to

1) setup the Synology NAS storage on new drive(s)

2) enable NAS media server, set SMB to support 1.0 and later standards

3) transfer music to NAS music directory (you really want  wired connection speed for this part)

4) in Euphony under library/add network storage for server name try diskstation, default path should be music. If diskstation  isn't recognized

get the NAS IP address of the diskstation and enter {ip address}\music for path. I'm lazy and just use the admin login for NAS credentials,

you can create  a separate login or enable guest on the NAS for greater security

5) assuming all works (network drive now shows) use the "action" option in Euphony to  add it to the library then go have a cup of coffee
    while it does first time scan for music.

if router allows USB attached drive, you will need to consult its manual for how to remotely attach a connected drive.

I doubt that you can use a USB hub with a boot device. Likewise with your asynch USB out port

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

30 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Does your router have an "attach USB drive" feature? Network attached is the best route to go, will be more resolving than Qobuz and none of the digital

irritants of local attached drives. If not, a basic Synology NAS is cheap, $169 + drives on Amazon. Some work there; for Synology you would need to

1) setup the Synology NAS storage on new drive(s)

2) enable NAS media server, set SMB to support 1.0 and later standards

3) transfer music to NAS music directory (you really want  wired connection speed for this part)

4) in Euphony under library/add network storage for server name try diskstation, default path should be music. If diskstation  isn't recognized

get the NAS IP address of the diskstation and enter {ip address}\music for path. I'm lazy and just use the admin login for NAS credentials,

you can create  a separate login or enable guest on the NAS for greater security

5) assuming all works (network drive now shows) use the "action" option in Euphony to  add it to the library then go have a cup of coffee
    while it does first time scan for music.

if router allows USB attached drive, you will need to consult its manual for how to remotely attach a connected drive.

I doubt that you can use a USB hub with a boot device. Likewise with your asynch USB out port

Super idea @davide256! I haven’t thought about this, but yes, indeed, my router has the option for attaching a USB drive. Will try that for sure!!! If it‘s this simple, than it’s fantastic.

i must say I quite like Euphony Stylus, though it’s not so intuitive. But it’s a new piece of software for me, so I have to find my way to use it properly.

I‘m having trouble to connect to Roon, though I‘m not sure if this is enabled in the trial version.

5 minutes ago, davide256 said:

You can use as Roon endpoint in trial but I think Roonserver requires Stylus license as well as Roon license

I have a Roon license (lifetime). I have Roon core installed on my Mac Mini (not the one I‘m running Stylus trial). When I open Roon on my Mac Mini, it tells me that Roon server already runs on Euphony. Fine, I can live with that, but Roon remote on my iPad doesn’t find the server. All a bit of a mystery!

I just plugged my SSD into my router. Alas, it doesn’t recognise it, it needs to be re-formatted to, say, exFAT. Will do that tomorrow.

I keep you posted on my Euphony trip.

3 hours ago, biosailor said:

I have a Roon license (lifetime). I have Roon core installed on my Mac Mini (not the one I‘m running Stylus trial). When I open Roon on my Mac Mini, it tells me that Roon server already runs on Euphony. Fine, I can live with that, but Roon remote on my iPad doesn’t find the server. All a bit of a mystery!

I just plugged my SSD into my router. Alas, it doesn’t recognise it, it needs to be re-formatted to, say, exFAT. Will do that tomorrow.

I keep you posted on my Euphony trip.

do try running the Euphony server as HQPlayer with the mini as Roonserver. Only allows 30 minutes of play without HQPlayer license (yup another license cost if you like it 🤑), but was the best sound I could get with Roon. You just have to use your Euphony servers IP address in Roon HQPlayer option, then decide on the HQPlayer setup how aggressively you want to upsample ( DSD 128 worked well for me, DSD64 had clicks and pops)

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

do try running the Euphony server as HQPlayer with the mini as Roonserver. Only allows 30 minutes of play without HQPlayer license (yup another license cost if you like it 🤑), but was the best sound I could get with Roon. You just have to use your Euphony servers IP address in Roon HQPlayer option, then decide on the HQPlayer setup how aggressively you want to upsample ( DSD 128 worked well for me, DSD64 had clicks and pops)

In that case, I'd have to switch off Euphony's own Roon server, correct? And run Roon from the mini, having Euphony as Roon endpoint, correct? All a bit confusing for me 😀!

I do have an HQPlayer license, but I lost the license details in the digital Nirvana and HQPlayer is not so responsive when I contact them via e-mail! Anyhow, I did try HQPlayer. Upsampling for my equipment (Devialet) is possible only to DSD 64, unfortunately. And upsampling PCM is a bit cumbersome. I'm finding myself lost in all those filters and dither options, trying frantically various combinations and not listening to music in the end.

My Euphony story is a bit complicated. I used Roon for a long time, I do like its fantastic options, but I don't like Roon's sound at all! It's thin, glary, flat and totally uninvolving! I then switched to Audirvana, which improved the sound quality considerably, yet it has some sort of a veil I find hard to deal with. In my search for better SQ, I tried Daphile on a MacBook Air, connected via USB to my Devialet. From the first moment I used it, I was amazed about the jump in SQ. Really, really nice, though bass was a bit muddled. But WAY better than Roon. And this without Roon's gobbledegook about separating server and endpoint! 

Daphile is nice, though its GUI is a bit cumbersome. Nevertheless, I was drawn into looking for Linux-based solutions. AudioLinux seems to be a bit too complex for my taste, so I turned to Euphony. So far, I very much like its SQ, really clean, and extremely pleasant. But the trial version is a bit muddled and still don't grasp many of its features. But I'll pester the Euphony team with the questions I have once I'd buy a license.

8 hours ago, biosailor said:

In that case, I'd have to switch off Euphony's own Roon server, correct? And run Roon from the mini, having Euphony as Roon endpoint, correct? All a bit confusing for me 😀!

I do have an HQPlayer license, but I lost the license details in the digital Nirvana and HQPlayer is not so responsive when I contact them via e-mail! Anyhow, I did try HQPlayer. Upsampling for my equipment (Devialet) is possible only to DSD 64, unfortunately. And upsampling PCM is a bit cumbersome. I'm finding myself lost in all those filters and dither options, trying frantically various combinations and not listening to music in the end.

My Euphony story is a bit complicated. I used Roon for a long time, I do like its fantastic options, but I don't like Roon's sound at all! It's thin, glary, flat and totally uninvolving! I then switched to Audirvana, which improved the sound quality considerably, yet it has some sort of a veil I find hard to deal with. In my search for better SQ, I tried Daphile on a MacBook Air, connected via USB to my Devialet. From the first moment I used it, I was amazed about the jump in SQ. Really, really nice, though bass was a bit muddled. But WAY better than Roon. And this without Roon's gobbledegook about separating server and endpoint! 

Daphile is nice, though its GUI is a bit cumbersome. Nevertheless, I was drawn into looking for Linux-based solutions. AudioLinux seems to be a bit too complex for my taste, so I turned to Euphony. So far, I very much like its SQ, really clean, and extremely pleasant. But the trial version is a bit muddled and still don't grasp many of its features. But I'll pester the Euphony team with the questions I have once I'd buy a license.

I hear you on Roon. Love its interface but I've given up on it for playback quality, not renewing my license this year.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Same here! If only Roon would do something to improve its SQ. To me it looks as if Roon was concentrating on the app (which undoubtedly is fantastic) but forgot to work on the sound.

Anyway, I listened to Euphony quite extensively today and its sound is first rate! If only their app would be ,Roonish‘!