IGNORED

Euphony Audio Transport ─ Euphony OS ─ Embedded, Headless OS For Music Servers

Now my Euphony seems to work flawlessly with DSD256 and DXD, and even M-ch playback. There is some network issue when at times I can get connected to euphony via ethernet even though my internet appears to work fine. Anyone experiences that?

A shame it does not do ISO files. 

Euphony clearly sounds better than Audirvana on my MacBook Air. And runs more efficiently even at 4G RAM. It still can't do resampling/upsampling properly but I rarely need it. Does not sound better and actually sounds worse. 

I am deciding if I should get the European Buggy vs the US euphony streamer. which I was told has less CPU than the Buggy. Upsampling with HQplayer I would need European Buggy. 

The other option is just stick the SATA SSD into a intel NUC but I heard that may be inferior option. 

Another option, is to boot from a modified Mac-mini with 8 GRAM. duo core. but needs to the mod to DC power etc. 

On 10/21/2018 at 11:42 AM, Chopin75 said:

I am deciding if I should get the European Buggy vs the US euphony streamer. which I was told has less CPU than the Buggy. Upsampling with HQplayer I would need European Buggy. 

The other option is just stick the SATA SSD into a intel NUC but I heard that may be inferior option. 

Another option, is to boot from a modified Mac-mini with 8 GRAM. duo core. but needs to the mod to DC power etc. 

I wondered what the difference or deal was with the Euphony Zotac Buggy vs. the PTS streamer they have listed on their US site.

But that can't be all its about... just a cost/supply difference? To me it looked like the Zotac Buggy was like a prototype and got phased out. No?

On the other hand, I did find, what I figure to be, the exact same Euphony PTS streamer computer on Alibaba for like $250 USD. No Euphony Stylus OS and no guarantee all the components or BIOS settings are the same, but it sure looks the part. 

Anyway, might help shed some light on the value of integrated computer A vs. B vs. XYZ...

Thanks! This prompt me to search where these computers are from. 

The buggy is more powerful but can be bought here - https://www.zotac.com/no/product/mini_pcs/ci549-nano

the PTS is a i3 computer and I see similar models from intel and other miscellaneous site. Supposed to be made in Germany but somehow only sold in US? Both seem to be simple cheap computers with no special audio mod, I presume. Basically one can buy such computer, load the euphony drive into a 2.5 SATA and put inside the computer and that’s it. I would think building a tailor made computer makes more sense. I am thinking of either getting a Pinkfaun computer or at least their audio bridge into a fanless computer.  Hdplex also offers such computer chasis but does not inlcude the intel chip.all from scratch. 

Oh, OK. Yeah I knew how to find the Zotac model that Euphony used earlier on with the Buggy, but what I meant was where the "Euphony Zotac Buggy" was available for sale and whether the current, US site PTS/Zenion server was better/worse or simply a newer iteration. 

And haha, my real focus was more so on that Buggy shelf thing. I want one of those to put under my server...

Ok, the buggy zotac is sold in europe only. I think they can ship worldwide. The PTS has much lower CPU. i3 I think 3rd gen. The buggy has i5 7th gen intel. If this helps?  U can diy your own buggy. Get the zotac separately , get a SSD and load the euphony onto SSD and put into the zotac. Should be cheaper.  Of course u need fo buy the euphony OS, too. U can use any silent fanless Computer. I am thinking of using Hdplex.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Poldi said:

@Chopin75 Where did you find the information that Euphony is using the CI549? I only found articles about the Buggy mentioning the CI523, for example:

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/euphony-buggyzotac/

That is because the European Euphony guy told me it is i5 7th gen and CI549 fits the bill:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=zotac ci549 nano&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

He did not tell me the model so I cannot confirm. Visually Ci549 looks very close to the Buggy. The CI523 is i3 so  should not be the one 

On 11/3/2018 at 6:54 PM, Chopin75 said:

Ok, the buggy zotac is sold in europe only. I think they can ship worldwide. The PTS has much lower CPU. i3 I think 3rd gen. The buggy has i5 7th gen intel. If this helps?  U can diy your own buggy. Get the zotac separately , get a SSD and load the euphony onto SSD and put into the zotac. Should be cheaper.  Of course u need fo buy the euphony OS, too. U can use any silent fanless Computer. I am thinking of using Hdplex.

The Euphony PTS uses a 6th Gen Intel i3 which is considerably more then is needed for normal playback. You can also do some up-sampling (to DSD 256). However, if you want to use HQPlayer to it's full potential then you will need more power! 

Member of the Trade: Power Holdings Inc

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

Take a look at the SimplyNUC PORCOOLPINE and maybe a SR-4 or the HDPLEX.  I am using one output of my JS-2 for this, it is only 12V and there is some evidence that 19V might be better. Look in the "massive SQ" thread.

I am powering my HDPLEX agt 19V/10A.  It may also depends on the A, as at considering lower A, eg from a regular Dell Power Brick at about 6-7 A, 19.5V, I cannot boot the Euphony internally, though it also depends on your CPU. I have a powerful over-kill Ryzen 2700x for gaming (8-core)! A power hunger chip likely needs 19V, but as Arthur said, if you do regular PCM or even DSD256 it should be fine. (Would it still improve sound with higher CPU??, hard to say). 

20 hours ago, ArthurPower said:

The Euphony PTS uses a 6th Gen Intel i3 which is considerably more then is needed for normal playback. You can also do some up-sampling (to DSD 256). However, if you want to use HQPlayer to it's full potential then you will need more power! 

Not to mention the PTS is now $200 cheaper than when I bought it! 🤔

On 3/19/2019 at 2:22 AM, Chopin75 said:

That is because the European Euphony guy told me it is i5 7th gen and CI549 fits the bill:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=zotac ci549 nano&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

He did not tell me the model so I cannot confirm. Visually Ci549 looks very close to the Buggy. The CI523 is i3 so  should not be the one 

Ok, if he told you then it's probably true.

Otherwise I would have doubted it because I found one picture of the rear of the buggy (on the front most zboxes look the same) and you mostly find pictures of the front of the buggy. The rear looks like the rear of a CI327 which can't be right:

https://www.sempre-audio.at/Euphony_Audio_praesentiert_Buggy_Zotac_CI523_Nano.id.5658.htm

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/ci327-nano

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/ci523-nano-1

The rear of the CI549 also looks different:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/ci549-nano

Perhaps in the article on sempre-audio.at some pics got mixed up?

But if it's the CI549 why is everyone writing about the CI523 when writing about the buggy?

17 hours ago, Poldi said:

So although I only was able to test Euphony OS on a crappy piece of equipment I will still buy a licence because I assume that with the right NUC/ZOTAC and a proper power supply it will sound a lot better than it already did.

I hope I am not over influencing you on this.  I really want others to do more testing and help with comparisons.  IT is a lot of money to spend.  

19 hours ago, Poldi said:

BTW I tested Euphony OS a few days ago on an old laptop (connected directly to the DAC) without UEFI because the trial version needs legacy boot.

The laptop is probably noisy as hell (internal SSD and HDD, Wifi card, switching mode power supply).

I compared it to my sms-200 neo running MPD/UPNP and playing songs from Qobuz via BubbleUPNP. The sms-200 neo was powered by as sBooster BOTW ECO MKI. The laptop as said by a switching mode power supply. So not ideal test conditions as more than one variable is different.

Nonetheless I can say that I liked the sound of Euphony OS playing Qobuz songs via the stylus player quite a lot. Very analogue sounding. Also I can understand the comments by @bobfa about the low level energy. My Harbeth P3ESR sound bigger than on the sms-200 but the bass is not boomy at all. Very relaxing listening.

The sms-200 on the other hand had more sparkle in the highs (in a good way) and the sound was a tiny bit more relaxed and detailed. But the difference was subtle.

In sum I would say that it would depend on the song which one I would prefer. Perhaps the sms-200 might still be a little bit better (little bit more detailed and relaxed) but I'm quite sure that is only due to fact that Euphony OS was run on a noisy laptop with a crappy power supply. I still remember that the sound of the sms-200 improved quite a lot with the sBooster so that was not a fair competition of Euphony OS.

The fact that Euphony nonetheless came close to the sms-200 speaks for the high potential of the OS.

BTW I also have an older version of Audiolinux installed on the same laptop on the internal SSD. Although it sounds better than Ubuntu on my new laptop it sounds clearly worse than the sms-200 (without the sBooster back then). Comparing the two was actually the reason for buying the sms-200 many months ago. My conclusion back then was that hardware matters and that the sms-200 probably offered dedicated hardware for audio.But if I would have used Euphony OS for comparison with the sms-200 back then I probably wouldn't have bought the sms-200.

So although I only was able to test Euphony OS on a crappy piece of equipment I will still buy a licence because I assume that with the right NUC/ZOTAC and a proper power supply it will sound a lot better than it already did.

You won’t regret it.  Right now i am playing it with my crappy macbook air using external boot drive. Still sounds pretty good, much than MAC OS, and though I know with a dedicated PC for audio like my HDPlex with LPS the SQ is like x2-3, the crappy setup is still quite decent, tolerable. With HDPlex setup I got rid of the galvanic isolation devices, as it is that good! 

19 hours ago, Poldi said:

Ok, if he told you then it's probably true.

Otherwise I would have doubted it because I found one picture of the rear of the buggy (on the front most zboxes look the same) and you mostly find pictures of the front of the buggy. The rear looks like the rear of a CI327 which can't be right:

https://www.sempre-audio.at/Euphony_Audio_praesentiert_Buggy_Zotac_CI523_Nano.id.5658.htm

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/ci327-nano

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/ci523-nano-1

The rear of the CI549 also looks different:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/ci549-nano

Perhaps in the article on sempre-audio.at some pics got mixed up?

But if it's the CI549 why is everyone writing about the CI523 when writing about the buggy?

Maybe he upgraded to that model at some point? 

9 hours ago, bobfa said:

I hope I am not over influencing you on this.  I really want others to do more testing and help with comparisons.  IT is a lot of money to spend.  

No worries @bobfa! As Euphony is now developing a UEFI version I'll be able to compare it to Audiolinux myself on my NUC7PJYH.

Euphony OS is not cheap and especially their update prices could be a little bit more "friendly" to loyal customers.

But on the other hand, I really like their turnkey-solution-concept. Of course this depends on your taste whether you like to play around a lot or not. But for me, it's actually good because the OS then protects me from playing around with the settings and wasting time 😉

But I shouldn't hype it too much before having tested it on my NUC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There have been a couple of updates this week

- Critical fix for bug in Stylus library browsing (Artists and Genres)

- Fix to enable Play Stylus->HQPlayer when there are no active outputs

- Added 'Auto' in HQPlayer mode

- HQPlayer settings are now always visible when needed

- NAA device selection added

- Added history to Stylus library browsing

- Fix: HQplayer's PCM resampling noise shaper can be changed now

- Fix: Tidal songs from LMS now playable in StylusEP

- Fix: Revert button is back

- Fix: Song histogram obeying disabled state

On 4/21/2017 at 3:39 AM, zackthedog said:

Okay, so I got Euphony booted on my Mac Mini, it plays the sample song just fine but I cannot connect to any of my NAS's.  It says they're not available.  So I can't listen to any of my own music to compare it.  Snakeoil and Daphile have no problems seeing my storage devices.  Suggestions are welcome.

@zackthedog have you managed to compare Euphony to Daphile?