IGNORED

Euphony Audio Transport ─ Euphony OS ─ Embedded, Headless OS For Music Servers

I've been holding off on any install and testing of Euphony until some of these small issues are addressed.  The Zotac has an SD card reader, is that supported for a Music storage medium?

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

I have just tested Euphony and I think I went through all the parts of the web interface, but I could not find any GNU GPL copyright notice for the free software components that are distributed with the product. This looks like a plain GPL violation to me (but of course there may be other licenses involved), so please let me know if I am missing something to the picture :)

A feature update is now available for Euphony. The ability to mount an internal disk with music (already on it) has been added. SD cards readers can now also be used for music playback and storage. 

Under settings / Euphony system / click on credits. :)

Member of the Trade: Power Holdings Inc

@ArthurPower Could you please clarify the licensing options available in the OS only scenario? I read in the beginning of this thread that lite and a full license will be available but I cannot find it in your website.

Also for people like me that own a dual pc system, do I have to purchase two software license to use it on both pc?

Thanks

6 hours ago, ArthurPower said:

Under settings / Euphony system / click on credits. :)

Thanks, I did actually miss it. That is better than nothing but still not enough to comply with the GPL. You need to include a copy of the license for each component as well as provide the source code (or a written offer to provide it on request) for all the software (or derivatives of it) under GPL that is distributed with your product.

If I am allowed a suggestion, you could give a look at how the developer of Daphile built the credits page on his product (with a complete list of free software packages and copy of their licenses). However I am not a lawyer so I think you should seek qualified advice on this issue ;)

Regards.

The site was down for a short period last night while the hosting company performed some server maintenance. Everything is working now.

A Euphony license is required for each computer. Keep in mind this is not software that you would run on multiple computers to play music, it's a headless operating system made for a dedicated music server. This would replace any OS you currently have like Windows or OS X.

I do not have any details yet about the lite system license. It is still under consideration.

26 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

Nothing special

just yet one more linux clone,

Volumio and Daphile is free

I can't speak to Volumio or Daphile due to not having used/tried either. They're free — Euphony OS is not. Valid point.

How often are free softwares/OS's such as Volumio or Daphile updated with new features? How often are bugs patched? Even in this thread alone, some of the features (or lack thereof) a few of you have brought attention to were literally added in an update in less than a full 24 hour period/cycle. Who else is offering that kind of service in any industry or medium? I can't think of a single example.

The team at Euphony are very dedicated to improving what already makes their product great. Squashing bugs, troubleshooting end-user compatibility issues, providing customer service to figure out the root of any problems whether it's human error or something on their end, etc. Personally, I think that's a lot better than guessing indefinitely or asking other users on a forum to help you troubleshoot whatever issue you're having. You aren't given the run-around by some overseas CS person working for less than minimum wage who's reading from and following a script either.

Sure, I made the thread. Sure, they already have my money. Am I complaining? No. I feel as if I've received and continue to receive my money's worth from Euphony OS with continuous use every week. I think you would be shocked to see how many updates Euphony has received in total since I started using it.

I don't even use every service/feature as of this moment. If/when I add other third-party products, services, or subscriptions, the value will only be greater to me than it already is. In the end, anything and everything is whatever you make of it. If you don't feel like you need the premiums that come with the product and are content with what you already have, all the best to you. I won't try and change your mind.

The most important aspect of listening to music is enjoying it. If all you need are some cheapo Apple Airpods or A.M. radio quality tracks on junky car speakers, all the better for you — you'll save a ton of money in the long run. For those of us who are curious and motivated enough — in a perpetual state of upgraditis, looking for the next part of their audio chain to improve/replace, Euphony OS might just be that. You won't know until you try. Trust your own ears.

I'd like to mention that the team behind this aren't simply working on Euphony as a side hustle or a hobbyist's project. There are a lot of serious man hours behind it. It's not just one person working on it either, but rather a full team.

As a 26 year old, I realize that many folks, both younger and older, would prefer things to be free. The "entitlement factor" can get a bit carried away. Some people still pay for their media and don't just download or stream everything illegally. It still shocks people that I actually purchase physical CD's and movies on Blu-ray in an age where someone, somewhere probably uploaded it or has it available for streaming on any of the various platforms dedicated to that.

What can I say? I'd like to support the people who release work(s) that I enjoy. That includes the team at Euphony. I hope that they'll continue to pursue their ultimate goal of the best audio reproduction possible. They've already outdone themselves so many times — easily having exceeded my expectations on multiple occasions due to killer updates. This is one of few products that I can honestly say that I think will only continue to improve where-as others plateau or go for a rollercoaster ride due to being too big or higher ups sabotaging the businesses core values (like game developers vs publishers vs shareholders).

10 hours ago, No Disc said:

Any Euphony impressions to report yet?   

No.  Tried the new version.  It did find my NAS but despite updating database music did not appear in the player.  (I keep a special public folder on my NAS with selected albums just for testing purposes.)  I tried switching to LMS but there's no web interface for that and I just didn't feel like digging around for a an LMS client.  In general I find the navigation very poor.

Looking at the reviews for the pre-installed version it certainly looks interesting, and maybe it sounds great.  But honestly, Daphile has done a superb job of tweaking LMS.  I prefer MPD and in that case Snakeoil offers easy, straightforward MPD playback.  Volumio x86 is good for MPD as well but it's still in development.  They don't yet offer an installer, as far as I know.

I would have to reserve judgement on the sound until I heard a truly optimized setup.  For now I'm not inclined to spend more time on it.  I appreciate that the OP spent his money, is happy with the sound and has gotten excellent support.  Nothing wrong with that.  Since I originally expressed skepticism about the cost of the program, I'm probably copping out. :-)  But until they offer the software in a viable form I'm not able to pass judgement about the sound.

And I'll just mention again that Daphile truly runs on ANY gadget I've tried--Mac or PC, including my Atom-based mini-PCs.  Not the case here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any direct link to download the image rather then the euphony installer?

My PC from where i am downloading it is in the farthest corner of the house and the wifi keeps disconnecting now and then

The windows installer starts downloading from 0 if its interrupted in between for any reason

Have been struggling since 4 hours to download it

The download link changes with each revision. That's why we use that utility (as well as including the ability to create a bootable USB flash drive). How do you even use that computer if your wifi connection is that bad? Even if you could successful download the image there is a good chance it could be corrupt or contain errors if your wifi signal is that weak. Our utility runs a checksum when the download is complete. I highly suggest you address your wifi connection issue first. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, ArthurPower said:

The download link changes with each revision. That's why we use that utility (as well as including the ability to create a bootable USB flash drive). How do you even use that computer if your wifi connection is that bad? Even if you could successful download the image there is a good chance it could be corrupt or contain errors if your wifi signal is that weak. Our utility runs a checksum when the download is complete. I highly suggest you address your wifi connection issue first. 

Hi

Sorry for such a late reply. I was out of town

I will make a wired connection and then download the firmware

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...
On 11.5.2017 at 2:47 PM, ArthurPower said:

Hi Arthur,

slightly off-topic can you share with us some news about the upcoming Matrix X-Server with Euphony OS?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/16/2017 at 10:28 PM, ArthurPower said:

Hello — my name is Arthur Power  — I'm from Euphony Audio USA. I was told that there were some questions on this forum about our operating system. 

Euphony is a finely tuned headless OS based on Arch Linux to create an imbedded music server. This commercial product has been in development for a couple years. The goal has always been to achieve the best sound quality possible. Both the Linux kernel and MPD have been highly optimized to minimize latency and reduce the number of services that need to run. Other players and features were then added and also fine tuned.

The target market for this operating system is manufacturers of music servers and also the DIY market. Unlike open source projects, Euphony comes with a support team and regular updates to fix any bugs that our users discover. We are also always open to suggestions on how to make this product better.

Rather than trying to sell you on how good Euphony sounds or how easy it is to use, a downloadable lite trial version that can be run from a USB flash drive will be available soon. This allows you, the consumer, to decide for yourself if you feel it's worth the asking price.

Hi Arthur. I've just purchased, downloaded and installed Euphony on my Zotac mini-pc. Love the sound! (Which is why I bought it).

I've sent messages to the support team on the website (www.euphony-audio.com) and no one is getting back to me. Should I be asking questions here directed to you? (BTW way I'm in Canada).

Some of my issues - I need Roon and it doesn't show up as an option. I have no File Manager choice under Tools.

For 2-channel: Roon Nucleus, W4S DAC2-DSDSe (now upgraded to DAC-2v2Se w/9038Pro) & Recovery, Biz Audio USB cable, McAllister Audio MA-10 Pre, McAllister Audio OTL-95 Amps using Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, PureAudio Trio 15B speakers using Morrow Audio SP-7 speaker wires. Black Sand Audio Violet Z1 MKii power cables.

I'm sorry, this is absurd.,  Over $300 for MPD and Squeezebox?  For heaven's sake, you can get all these things for FREE.  Volumio, Daphile, Snakeoil-OS---these are basically variants of the same thing for FREE.  Don't pay your hard-earned money for this. 

I don't usually slam creators here, but this is ridiculous.

16 hours ago, ArthurPower said:

Boldlygo On the home page (go to Tools / Home) then select Roon Server and hit change. Under tools when you select File Manager it will open a new browser tab.

5a43175c2b09e_Screenshotfrom2017-12-26220539.thumb.png.3602184710e918bb8b7ad6fd7bf85e22.png

Um, that's the whole issue - Roon is not there - only the other 3. I've created a support ticket but no response. How do I get Roon to show up? I need it. And under Tools there is no file browser.

For 2-channel: Roon Nucleus, W4S DAC2-DSDSe (now upgraded to DAC-2v2Se w/9038Pro) & Recovery, Biz Audio USB cable, McAllister Audio MA-10 Pre, McAllister Audio OTL-95 Amps using Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, PureAudio Trio 15B speakers using Morrow Audio SP-7 speaker wires. Black Sand Audio Violet Z1 MKii power cables.