IGNORED

USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver in latest Windows 10 RS2

On 9-4-2017 at 5:29 PM, CatManDo said:

For my M2Tech Hiface Two USB converter, I replaced the M2Tech driver with the Microsoft driver.

At first, it seemed to work fine. I can play files (24/96 PCM) with Foobar2000, I hear sound.

But some things didn't work right. The track progress bar was stuck and didn't react, i.e. impossible to navigate within a track. The visualisations in Foobar2000 (VU meter, spectrum meter) didn't work.

I switched back to the M2Tech driver.

I've got a CM6631A based USB>SPDIF unit based on USB class 2 and ik works perfect now. With the original driver I got nasty pops and clicks when switching between songs. When switching during a loud passage the buffer seems to be filled when switching so a loud click appears.

With this new driver it works perfect. In Event mode WASAPI I got the same problem you have. It does play but no visuals. In Push mode everything works fine. I already used push mode because event mode gave the loudest clicks/pops.

I'm very happy with this native driver!

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, blue2 said:

Oops spoke too soon! The "disable all sound effects" option has been removed (Control Panel > Sound > select Playback device > Properties > Enhancements tab) so it seems that Windows interferes (resamples) with your sound output and there is no way to avoid it! The only thing you can do is chose the same output format as your track to avoid resampling!

It seems MS are now only rolling out the Creators Update to new machines as there are so many issues.

That's not a problem. These only apply to DirectSound. WASAPI bypasses all this. By the way. There is another tab now, which also mentions the Atmos. I see no problem with WASAPI playback. I've tested this at my DDC and it mentions the right samplerate of the file beeing played.

2 hours ago, rickca said:

It's still there.  I'm running Creators Update and there is still a 'Disable all enhancements' check box on the Enhancements tab.  Is that what you're looking for?

I was checking on my pc at work. There the button is gone. On my home laptop it is still there. Probably on some occasions the option is gone. However there is no need to worry. You can set the disable checkbox, but when there is no enhancement activated it does absolutely nothing.

12 hours ago, blue2 said:

Yes that's what I'm talking about and as I said I have a T+A DAC 8 DSD which Windows has decided shouldn't have the 'enhancements' tab, hence the problem. The tab does appear for other audio outputs on the same machine.

So the result is that Windows Creators Update forces my audio through its resampler which I don't want. It lists all the replay formats correctly up to 384KHz on the Advanced tab but only up to 192KHz on the Supported Formats tab. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is correct behavior AFAIK. 192kHz is supported via SPDIF. 384kHz is only supported via I2S connection. Possibly this is only possible via WASAPI. Could that be the case?

My DSD DDC is on it's way via plane to me, so I cannot check yet. my current DDC only supports 192kHz and is broken unfortunately...

My NAD C388 takes SPDIF coax, so I'm limited to 192kHz already, but I don't see any problem with that. 16 bit 44.1kHz is fine for me. I feed the C388 exactly the source signal and it sounds absolutely great.

1 hour ago, blue2 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've solved it and it's not a Windows Creators Upgrade USB problem after all, it's the foobar2000 set up which was wrong. I had the T+A driver as output and no foo_out_asio component. Once I installed this the T+A driver becomes "DS: T+A driver" in the output list, and you then choose the driver from the new configuration sub-item ASIO. DS is DirectSound which uses the Windows audio stack, hence the resampling problem.

Phew! Sorry for the confusion.

Good to hear the problem is solved and thanks for the feedback.