IGNORED

Light Harmonic (LH Labs). Scam? USD$6 million not delivered since 2014

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

All those who contributed to the spreadsheet of losses - please check your email and Spam for email from: [email protected].

The deadline is Jan. 3rd to confirm that you will "join the complaint". To join you need to read the email and attachments and send back one document.

Happy New Year!

2 minutes ago, Blake said:

IGG imposes terms of service on the Campaign Owner (in this case LH Labs).  LH Labs breached pretty much every term of service.  LH Labs and Larry Ho used IGG as a vehicle to steal funds from contributors:

As a Campaign Owner, when you create a Campaign on the Site and ask for Contributions, you understand that you are entering into separate legal agreements with both Indiegogo and with Contributors, and the following rules apply (in addition to the all other Terms and Additional Policies).

• Campaign Owner Obligations

Please remember that as a Campaign Owner, you are solely responsible for fulfilling the obligations of your Campaign and delivering Perks. If you are unable to perform on this, or any of your other legal obligations, you may be subject to legal action by Contributors.

1. Make good faith efforts to fulfill the Perks associated with a Campaign in the timeframe that is communicated to Contributors.
    2. Immediately notify Contributors if there are obstacles or delays.
    3. Be responsive. Respond promptly and truthfully to all questions posed by Contributors.
    4. Updates. Provide substantive and quality updates at least once a month to Contributors.
    5. If you have received the Contributions from your Campaign, issue refunds to Contributors if you cannot deliver Perks.
    6. Comply with Laws. Comply with all applicable laws and regulations in the use of Contributions and delivery of Perks.
    7. Respect Privacy. When you use the Services by creating a Campaign, you may receive information about other Users, including personally identifiable information (“PII”), such as names, e-mail addresses, and physical addresses. This information is provided to you purely for the purpose of fulfilling the Perks for the applicable Campaign and other Services, and may not be used for other purposes, including cross-promotional marketing, without separate, verifiable consent from the User. You will maintain, and be required to produce if requested, records of all such verifiable consent.
      1. Comply with EEA Data Controller Obligations. As a Campaign Owner, you (and Indiegogo) will independently fulfill all duties required of data controllers under applicable EEA data protection law (such law shall include, but not be limited to, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) (“GDPR”); (iii) the EU e-Privacy Directive (Directive 2002/58/EC), including subsequent variations, such as the Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council concerning the respect for private life and the protection of personal data in electronic communications and repealing Directive 2002/58/EC (“ePrivacy Regulation”), if enacted).
      2. Your data controller duties include:
        1. Determining and qualifying the necessary legal basis or bases for your collection or processing of personal information;
        2. Managing and reporting security incidents;
        3. Transfers;
        4. Entering into contracts only with data processors that provide adequate protections for personal data and including appropriate contractual language;
        5. Maintaining records of your data processing activities;
        6. Conducting any required data protection impact assessments; and
        7. Implementing and maintaining all measures required pursuant to Article 32 of the GDPR.
      3. Respond to EEA Data Subject Requests. You and Indiegogo will have an independent obligation to respond to any requests received by either of us from EEA data subjects regarding personal data, including without limitation, those set forth in Chapter III of the GDPR. The party that receives the data request is responsible for responding to the request. Campaign Owner and Indiegogo shall reasonably cooperate and assist each other with these requests, to the extent that is legally permissible.
    8. Service Fees. Campaign Owners are charged a Service Fee as a portion of the Contributions they raise (the "Service Fees"). The Service Fees are effective on the date that the Service Fees are posted, and may be updated from time to time. Service Fees will be charged at the then-current rate.
    9. Taxes. Taxing authorities may classify Contributions as taxable income to the Campaign Owner and any beneficiary who will receive funds directly from the applicable Campaign. Indiegogo may ask for the tax identification number (TIN) of Campaign Owners and any beneficiaries so that We may report taxable income to the relevant taxing authorities. Indiegogo will provide Campaign Owners with a tax document if required by the relevant taxing authorities. Indiegogo is unable to provide any User or third party with tax advice and suggests that such Users or third parties consult with tax advisors of their choice.
    10. Indiegogo Reserves the Right to Withhold Funds. Campaign Owners should not assume that they will receive Contributions made to a Campaign even after the Campaign has ended and the fundraising goal has been reached. There may be a delay between the end of a Campaign and Our remittance of Contributions to a Campaign Owner for a number of reasons including, but not limited to, refunds, chargeback disputes, fraud, Terms or other policy violations, or any other situation. For example, Indiegogo may withhold Contributions made to a Campaign if the Campaign Owner violates any Terms (as determined by Indiegogo in its sole discretion). Indiegogo may also seek reimbursement from a Campaign Owner by any other lawful means, including by using third-party collection services.
    11. Refunds. Indiegogo offers a limited refund to Contributors in accordance with Our Refund Policy. Refunds outside of Our Refund Policy must be handled by the Campaign Owner, and Indiegogo has no obligation to provide any refunds or become involved with any dispute between a Campaign Owner and Contributor. Indiegogo reserves the right to terminate User Accounts and remove Campaigns for any abuse of the Refund Policy. Indiegogo reserves its right to issue refunds at its own discretion outside of the Refund Policy.

Interesting. It isn't like he was inventing a perpetual motion machine and failed. These are audio "gadgets" that just needed assembly. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Interesting. It isn't like he was inventing a perpetual motion machine and failed. These are audio "gadgets" that just needed assembly. 

Yep - over at Head-Fi they're talking about another manufacturer having brought 11 or 21 (forget which, or maybe another number) of DAPs onto the market in the time span during which not so much as a single working prototype of the Geek Wave has been produced.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm sorry, while like the rest of you I have much distain for LH Labs and how they have fleeced so many and not delivered on promises, I think it is inappropriate to post photographs of people. Just seems like a line we need not cross. I can not think of a reason to go down to that level. Larry Ho can live with his own shame--and we can shame his company--without photos.

Just my $0.02

This problem makes me wonder -- was this an overreach by an overly enthusiastic person who didn't realize what they were getting into, or was this a scam from day 1?

I can understand getting in over ones head, and development costs being overwhelming, but a person should not even THINK about selling something without the project being almost ready AT LEAST.   My own values say -- either work on an hourly basis, project completion basis or as a complete product that is already in manufacturing (hopefully recieving working units.)

Encouraging customers to double as investors is a dangerous game.  There is no equity as a customer -- esp if there is no contract.  The risk is very high for the consumer, and also the risk of reputation is high for the developer/seller.

As someone who has REALLY developed things in the past, and had both successful and unsuccessful projects -- in one case, the failing was my own health -- I could never try to pre-sell something that I don't have in-hand, ready for production, special components already in-hand.  TOO OFTEN, there need to be design changes, and will change the eventual specifications.  Also, there is the issue of component availability, as sometimes the component manufacturers can cause real problems.  Small manufacturers should purchase a fairly large supply of necessary and/or uncommon components for a big part of the product lifetime.  Some parts just 'disappear' pooft...

I just don't get it, how this situation should happen...   Apparently someone is a better salesman than product developer...  (Note that I didn't use the term 'engineer' for 'product developer  -- because being just an Electronics Engineer alone is NOT enough to produce a complex manufactured product -- unless that person can stay awake 48Hrs/day, and understands pacakging and a few other disicplines like FCC/EMC compliance  :-)).   I don't know the rules today, but I have been involved in several small company, small volume (<1k) products that still needed all of the regulatory compliance issues resolved.  Have things changed?

John

7 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

This problem makes me wonder -- was this an overreach by an overly enthusiastic person who didn't realize what they were getting into, or was this a scam from day 1?

I don't think it was a scam from day 1.  Many people have Geek Pulse DACs and some even like them.  🙂

I think things started going off the rails with the "perks".  From what I can see, there was a huge disconnect between the technical feasibility of changing DAC designs daily and actually transforming that chaos into DAC production in the factory.

Gavin Fish bailed and Larry was left holding the bag.  We know the rest.

59 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I'm sorry, while like the rest of you I have much distain for LH Labs and how they have fleeced so many and not delivered on promises, I think it is inappropriate to post photographs of people. Just seems like a line we need not cross. I can not think of a reason to go down to that level. Larry Ho can live with his own shame--and we can shame his company--without photos.

Just my $0.02

15 minutes ago, Blake said:

Seriously?  The guy steals millions with no shame and you are upset about posting his pic?!  

He shouldn't get to hide behind some corporate veil.  LH Labs is Larry Ho.  Larry took our money.  Steal money and there are consequences.

5 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

A quick Google image search for "Larry Ho Light Harmonic" reveals numerous images of his face including his own LinkedIn page and video interviews on YouTube.

The crowd turns....

7 minutes ago, stuck limo said:

The crowd turns....

Wow. Who here thinks Jarek (who is one and the same person as @stuck limo and @LHCommSquad) should be allowed to post in this thread as @stuck limo?

Also, why is there an @stuck limo and a separate user name @stuck_limo

Do we really have one person with 3 member names here? @The Computer Audiophile, you might want to check this out. 9_9

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Just my $0.02

I can see where you are coming from. Perhaps we could switch to "funny memes of Larry Ho." Humor is powerful. It is customary to make fun of those who willingly become public figures. Larry chose to go public by defrauding so many. 

By the way, memes of Larry or anything funny that portrays him would be a very powerful marketing tool in order to attract his attention and, hopefully, turn him into a pariah of the hi-fi community. 

3 hours ago, John Dyson said:

I can understand getting in over ones head, and development costs being overwhelming, but a person should not even THINK about selling something without the project being almost ready AT LEAST.   My own values say -- either work on an hourly basis, project completion basis or as a complete product that is already in manufacturing (hopefully recieving working units.)

Encouraging customers to double as investors is a dangerous game.  There is no equity as a customer -- esp if there is no contract.  The risk is very high for the consumer, and also the risk of reputation is high for the developer/seller.

As someone who has REALLY developed things in the past, and had both successful and unsuccessful projects -- in one case, the failing was my own health -- I could never try to pre-sell something that I don't have in-hand, ready for production, special components already in-hand.  TOO OFTEN, there need to be design changes, and will change the eventual specifications.  Also, there is the issue of component availability, as sometimes the component manufacturers can cause real problems.  Small manufacturers should purchase a fairly large supply of necessary and/or uncommon components for a big part of the product lifetime.  Some parts just 'disappear' pooft...

I just don't get it, how this situation should happen...   Apparently someone is a better salesman than product developer...  (Note that I didn't use the term 'engineer' for 'product developer  -- because being just an Electronics Engineer alone is NOT enough to produce a complex manufactured product -- unless that person can stay awake 48Hrs/day, and understands pacakging and a few other disicplines like FCC/EMC compliance  :-)).   I don't know the rules today, but I have been involved in several small company, small volume (<1k) products that still needed all of the regulatory compliance issues resolved.  Have things changed?

John

3 hours ago, kumakuma said:

My gut says the former. 

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

People were then asked to pay *shipping costs* for the supposedly imminently available products they had already paid for, and which were never built, much less shipped.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

People were then asked to pay *shipping costs* for the supposedly imminently available products they had already paid for, and which were never built, much less shipped.

😭

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull