IGNORED

Light Harmonic (LH Labs). Scam? USD$6 million not delivered since 2014

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

All those who contributed to the spreadsheet of losses - please check your email and Spam for email from: [email protected].

The deadline is Jan. 3rd to confirm that you will "join the complaint". To join you need to read the email and attachments and send back one document.

Happy New Year!

31 minutes ago, Jud said:

It's a quote from @Lee Scoggins' old article linked by @MikeyFresh above, where Lee says that, and which I quoted for irony.  Lee was saying at the time that this was one reason the criticism of LHL was undeserved. (He must not have read the IGG terms of service, which I did, and which LHL relied on years ago when refusing my request to refund my money.)

Hi Jud - I still think that I am talking about an other subject (think like a lawyer ;-). 

If the firm doesn’t raise enough money, the campaign ends and the money is returned to the investors.

and

By the time the campaign ended, LH had raised a whopping $1.2 million, light years ahead of their $38,000 goal.

... This tells me about a game under the watching eye of the law where enough money has been raised, but nothing tells that this should be refunded in whatever what-if situation. Now I don't know the Indiegogo TOS but I see too many crowd funding ventures with owners driving too large automobiles, leaving backers with nothing. As if the law allows for it almost explicitly - "only when not enough money has been raised, the money has to be returned to the investors" (which would not even be the same as implicitly, IMO).

So the problem with this model (and I think @John_Atkinson could have been hinting at that) is that a theoretical available fund for developing and producing the product can easily be used to buy a couple of Lambo's, while blaming the production costs can be left out of the scope (of law). "Hey, as the representatives of our great start-up, we obviously must show we're doing well, right ?". 

If is not really that long ago (25 years ?) that in my country a law was introduced that could blame managers for mismanagement and which allowed personal prosecution (the firm long gone because being broke). Thus killing my company but leaving me with a Lamborghini ? no.

This whole crowd funding thing seems to be about "you took the risk yourself, so now you have no formal means to complain". Also:

It really takes a giant group-hug to go after these guys, because each on his/her own obviously can't lead to anything.

I think it is known that situations like these can only be attacked by a commercial third-party instance who prosecutes on behalf of 1000s. So e.g. me could prosecute and swallow the process costs in advance and if I lose, then gone is that money. If I win, it is quite common that those who joined receive 50% of the appointed money (not necessarily the amount which was claimed) and I receive the other 50% (all agreed with participants in advance). So for the prosecutor quite a lot is at stake just the same - he doesn't like to lose easily for two reasons).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Hi @PeterSt -

Yes, I think you'll see from posts #s 251-253 in this thread (and perhaps less obviously #s 263-264 giving some history of the LHL principal and the crowdfunding campaigns) that we've already been there.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, PeterSt said:

So the problem with this model (and I think @John_Atkinson could have been hinting at that) is that a theoretical available fund for developing and producing the product can easily be used to buy a couple of Lambo's, while blaming the production costs can be left out of the scope (of law). "Hey, as the representatives of our great start-up, we obviously must show we're doing well, right ?".

I wanted to mention, Peter, that in fact the three other crowdfunding ventures in which I've been involved (including, it must be said, the original Geek Out) resulted in my receiving a nicely functioning product in a timely fashion, these being (1) the already-mentioned Geek Out; (2) a security camera (which worked wonderfully - as I've already said, when the company could no longer keep going they fully refunded everyone's money after we'd had the use of the product for a year or more); and (3) a very nice pair of sunglasses (lenses of hardened urethane so they don't develop the little scratches that diminish visibility through polycarbonate lenses over time - https://shredoptics.com/ ).

However, you're perfectly correct that crowdfunding presents quite an opportunity for people who are reckless or deliberately unscrupulous with your money.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Since we're reviewing some of Lee Scoggins' LHL cheer-leading, this is just classic:

and

Anyone who enjoys irony should read the entire article.  To say that Scoggins got LHL completely wrong would be extremely charitable.

Man! So many of us were deceived by Larry Ho . . . 

How about having a unified front? 🙂 

LH Labs may one day become a Business School Case Study on the hazards of when Crowd Funding veers toward Crowd Design.

The Pulse DAC/AMP was my first, and most expensive backing in the early days of crowd funding. I funded the base pulse, with only the Femto clock upgrade; Pulse Sfi.

When LH Labs proliferated into so many different variations, I became concerned about both the operating risk of their ability to keep track of the variations, and their ability to achieve the operating scale necessary to deliver, compensate employees, and invest in the requisite support structure.

So, I funded the base Pulse DAC/AMP, and later the Blue, and even later the Lightspeed Revive.  When they announced products before delivering on earlier ones, it became clear to me what was going on. The trigger-point for me, was their annoucement of the Wave.

I feel fortunate to have received delivery on all three products. The Pulse Sfi is OK, the Blue is likely better than I can appreciate, and the Revive is ahead of its time; USB-C and clean battery-power when so many, including Chord Mojo are still micro-USB.

I would hope that everyone who has lost money in this venture can move forward emotionally, accept that they won't get a product and realize these lessons;

1. mitigate the risk by limiting how much you are willing to lose.

2. Don't crowd-fund a product when similar ones already exist in the market.

3. Beware of the mass-customization and crowd-designs you seek; you may never get the product because the manufacturer may not have the capability to deiver, regradless of their good-faith intent.

I learned a lot from this venture, and have adjusted my crowd-funding spending accordingly.

9 minutes ago, Blake said:

There is zero chance any governmental agency will file criminal charges against Larry or his companies.  However, one could pursue him in civil court.  There are challenges to pursuing him in civil court, but it is a possibility.

Why ZERO chances of criminal charges?

This article seems to suggest that the US. government can do the job on our behalf: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/29/17793720/ftc-ibackpack-investigation-indiegogo-kickstarter

Ok, "let's go with

14 minutes ago, bernardperu said:

Why ZERO chances of criminal charges?

This article seems to suggest that the US. government can do the job on our behalf: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/29/17793720/ftc-ibackpack-investigation-indiegogo-kickstarter

Among the reasons is an overburdened system/lack of sufficient prosecution resources and burden of proof.  Perhaps "zero" was too strong, but the odds are slim IMHO.  

Your article notes an FTC investigation, but that is far from being prosecuted and convicted.  It never hurts to try though.  We can all file complaints and see what happens.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

16 hours ago, marflao said:

So it seems that Larry doesn't have to be concerned at all. 

Unbelievable.. 

I don't think this is necessarily a lost cause. 

I think we can all safely assume Larry will not fulfill his obligations for the undelivered products.  We can also safely assume that without pressure, Larry will never provide refunds. 

What to do?  One idea is to start a thread here on AS, the purpose of which is to provide US resident victims with a step by step guide for suing Larry Ho individually, LH Labs Corporation, LH Labs Inc. and Light Harmonic in small claims court in your respective state.   I have links to guides for a few states already that I will be posting.  Frankly, it is easy to look up the process.  We can also use the thread for people to provide updates on what they have done and the status of their case.

In small claims court, you don't need an attorney (in fact, attorneys are not generally allowed in small claims courts).   If enough people sue, it could provide sufficient incentive to cause Larry to provide refunds (or at least partial refunds).  Larry et. al. will have default judgments against them all over the place as there is little chance they will be able to fly all over to defend themselves, plus, Larry doesn't have any defense.  Jarek has unwittingly provided quite a bit of ammunition in the various web fora.  You would also need to pay a process server to serve Larry in California.  We might be able to find a process server willing to do a reduced rate if we all use the particular process server.

We can put the word out on all the audio web fora, direct them to the thread here on AS, and people can follow the guides and sue.  I will start the thread in the next week.  Bottom line is, we all need to start suing him soon to avoid Statute of Limitations issues for breach of contract. 

Jarek, please inform Larry to reconsider his refusal to provide refunds.  

To get the ball rolling, here is the guide for those of you in Larry's home State, California:

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/suing-in-california-small-claims-court-step-by-step

Larry's offices are located at:

5701 Lonetree Blvd., Suite 114
Rocklin, CA 95765

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

21 minutes ago, Blake said:

I don't think this is necessarily a lost cause. 

I think we can all safely assume Larry will not fulfill his obligations for the undelivered products.  We can also safely assume that without pressure, Larry will never provide refunds. 

What to do?  One idea is to start a thread here on AS, the purpose of which is to provide US resident victims with a step by step guide for suing Larry Ho individually, LH Labs Corporation, LH Labs Inc. and Light Harmonic in small claims court in your respective state.   I have links to guides for a few states already that I will be posting.  Frankly, it is easy to look up the process.  We can also use the thread for people to provide updates on what they have done and the status of their case.

In small claims court, you don't need an attorney (in fact, attorneys are not generally allowed in small claims courts).   If enough people sue, it could provide sufficient incentive to cause Larry to provide refunds (or at least partial refunds).  Larry et. al. will have default judgments against them all over the place as there is little chance they will be able to fly all over to defend themselves, plus, Larry doesn't have any defense.  Jarek has unwittingly provided quite a bit of ammunition in the various web fora.  You would also need to pay a process server to serve Larry in California.  We might be able to find a process server willing to do a reduced rate if we all use the particular process server.

We can put the word out on all the audio web fora, direct them to the thread here on AS, and people can follow the guides and sue.  I will start the thread in the next week.  Bottom line is, we all need to start suing him soon to avoid Statute of Limitations issues for breach of contract. 

Jarek, please inform Larry to reconsider his refusal to provide refunds.  

To get the ball rolling, here is the guide for those of you in Larry's home State, California:

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/suing-in-california-small-claims-court-step-by-step

Larry's offices are located at:

5701 Lonetree Blvd., Suite 114
Rocklin, CA 95765

Best of luck and I might even try it too, but:

- Wonder how small claims court would be able to deal with issues such as whether LH has assumed the LHL liabilities and thus is proper party to sue;

- Because of the China/Taiwan connection, I wonder to what extent any money, or Mr. Ho himself, might easily be offshored.

8 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

I wrote about the difference between a Kickstarter campaign and one managed by Indiegogo in a CES report on the Geek Pulse announcement at https://www.stereophile.com/content/light-harmonic-lh-labs-indiegogo

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

The distinction you pointed out is that credit cards were charged immediately with IGG, but not until/unless the campaign reached its goal with Kickstarter.  That's a distinction unfortunately without a difference in the case of LHL, which didn't have a problem far exceeding its campaign goals relatively quickly.

25 minutes ago, Jud said:

Best of luck and I might even try it too, but:

- Wonder how small claims court would be able to deal with issues such as whether LH has assumed the LHL liabilities and thus is proper party to sue;

- Because of the China/Taiwan connection, I wonder to what extent any money, or Mr. Ho himself, might easily be offshored.

If by "LH" you mean Larry in his individual capacity- I intend to pierce the corporate veil and go after his personal assets.  If you are referring to Light Harmonic, your point is a good one but I will still add them.  Jarek has posted coments in the fora that provides me with good arguments that Light Harmonic has assumed LH Labs liabilities.  I will provide links to the pertinent comments by Jarek to aid in that argument.

P.S. To all:  Nothing I post is to be construed as legal advice or any offer to represent you.  I am not your lawyer.  I am not representing anyone, nor will I be representing anyone in the future.  You are advised to seek out your own counsel.

23 minutes ago, Blake said:

If by "LH" you mean Larry in his individual capacity- I intend to pierce the corporate veil and go after his personal assets.  If you are referring to Light Harmonic, your point is a good one but I will still add them.  Jarek has posted coments in the fora that provides me with good arguments that Light Harmonic has assumed LH Labs liabilities.  I will provide links to the pertinent comments by Jarek to aid in that argument.

P.S. To all:  Nothing I post is to be construed as legal advice or any offer to represent you.  I am not your lawyer.  I am not representing anyone, nor will I be representing anyone in the future.  You are advised to seek out your own counsel.

Good to hear.  I posted some links upthread about Calif's Consumer Protection Office.

I believe that someone brought a class action in a Calif. small claims court - may have been again Honda Motors.  That might get his attention.

California has a very robust set of consumer protection laws in their Business Code. 

If your good buddy "Larry" owns any real property in Calif. that would be a fun target...

piercing the corporate veil is often used (or attempted) against corporate polluters, and some hazardous waste statutes do so explicitly - that case law, and books on it, may provide some useful information

@Jud:

Yes, you make good points.  Nobody should expect to to be fairly compensated and frankly, you should not expect to be compensated at all.  

Whether a moral victory is sufficient compensation for taking these actions is a decision everyone must make.  The costs should also be taken into consideration.   However, obtaining a judgment in small claims court will be relatively cheap.  Enforcing the judgment, not so easy.  But you can make Larry's life very, very difficult.

The idea is to provide incentive (particularly if lots of people file claims in small claims courts around the country) for him to refund on a prorata basis whatever money that remains, in order to avoid these hassles.  That is the ultimate goal for me.