IGNORED

Light Harmonic (LH Labs). Scam? USD$6 million not delivered since 2014

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

All those who contributed to the spreadsheet of losses - please check your email and Spam for email from: [email protected].

The deadline is Jan. 3rd to confirm that you will "join the complaint". To join you need to read the email and attachments and send back one document.

Happy New Year!

4 hours ago, eganz said:

Have you asked for a refund? 

I have (though I've contributed nowhere near the amount Bernard unfortunately has).  Twice.  No go.  Legally they can keep it.  That's the rub of Kickstarter, Indiegogo, etc.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 9 months later...

A lawsuit would be extremely difficult. Since we knew in advance no product was promised, what you would have to show would be either (1) the company's principals intended to and did use the money for other things, or (2) even though there was no firm time frame for delivery, the company's principals intended to, and did, delay delivery for so long that the item is now essentially worthless (not worthless to you specifically, but worthless in market terms).

Either of these would have to be proved by "clear and convincing" evidence, a heavy burden to carry.

My thought is that legal proceedings would be throwing good time and money after bad.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The proposed title is priceless. :D

This isn't in any way to minimize the fact that many people, including myself, who put up hundreds or even thousands of dollars years ago are justifiably feeling quite ripped off by LH. 

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

a lawsuit could be filed in any number of countries, all of which have different standards to win; much less to settle on favorable terms

Perhaps you could have a look for a country (1) with a more favorable burden of proof (2) entitled to exercise jurisdiction over LH labs (3) with liberal class action rules allowing people from many nations to join the class (4) where you don't have to pay a lawyer the case expenses for administering a large class action (5) where you can find someone willing to travel to California to serve LH Labs and not charge you a lot for the trip (or you could have the documents mailed and hope LH is stupid enough to agree to be sued in a foreign jurisdiction).

I'll wait.

The original Geek Out (which has performed beautifully for me for many years) was crowdfunded.

It showed me and others that LHL was capable of producing a good, inexpensive product through crowdfunding in a timely way.  So we went for the next crowdfunding offer.  Then of course they blew that all to hell with their subsequent non- (or terribly late and/or defective) products.

29 minutes ago, plissken said:

This is an outfit that has a track record of not delivering. 

What are people actually expecting?

Not a lot. :)

33 minutes ago, mansr said:

I think you're showing some expectation bias there.

Yes - of course in this case it's based on actual experience. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
3 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi Jud,

I was looking at the Pulse DAC.

When  you visit the Indiegogo website it is the first one that appears for LH Labs. On the LH Labs website, it did not appear in the Products pull down - but only from a Google search.

So, does this mean that the Pulse DAC $3million and the Geek Wave $1.6million need to be added together ?

Or was the Pulse DAC always available ?

Regards,

Shadders.

For LHL projects other than the Wave, of which there are a few, I think the Geek Out v2 may have been the only one where most or all customers received a product.  But I have not followed these, just read the complaints, so the best information would come from backers of these other projects.

Yes you would add the pledges for the various projects to get the total.  @Superdad mentioned that when he added it all up a couple of years ago, it was around $5 million at that time.

22 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Is it time for the affected people to start a class action lawsuit?  I’m sure one of those ambulance-chaser lawyers that advertise on TV will take on the case (for 50% of the awarded damages!).

I would think that would be throwing good money after bad.  Expenses would come from the clients' pockets, and I would not be surprised if any money sent to LHL was now unreachable.

8 hours ago, Currawong said:

I pulled it from a public update, here: https://support.lhlabs.com/support/solutions/articles/13000037905-wave-update-chart-9-17-2017

I totally believe Larry is determined to pull through all this, but it would be nice if he posted where the $1.1M (or whatever it was, as the page has vanished from Indiegogo) for the Wave went. 

Edit: Found some old pictures:

7914wave.thumb.png.a0e735ade965cd19b2713c087a96df3d.png

images.thumb.jpeg.957cc9fd67151e83e39070d60283d6ba.jpeg

The amount pledged for the Wave project at IGG was $1.6 million.

9 hours ago, Currawong said:

The original Geek Out shipped. I bought one. The V2 completely shipped AFAIK. They claim the Pulse and variations shipped fully, but there are still a few people complaining about broken units. 

The last total shipped units information posted that I'm aware of (unless one was posted last year) was this one:

1546694943_LHLabsshippedunits2017.thumb.png.4337886e44727b5f8a040557e0ea3692.png

I'm with you on a public audit. Gavin Fish said to me in person, a few years ago, that he "did $12M this year" (or words to that effect). Take from that what you will. 

The problem is, of course, that the company is completed FiretrUCKED. Larry seems to be trying to innovate his way out of this disaster, by making and selling new products.  I'm surprised he isn't actually focussed on the Geek Out and GOV2, as both are good products that are right where they are needed in the headphone market at the moment. However if your company name is poison, I guess that kills things. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yes, I have a Geek Out also.  I was referring to crowdfunded projects, though I don't know if GO v2 was one of those.