IGNORED

Light Harmonic (LH Labs). Scam? USD$6 million not delivered since 2014

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

All those who contributed to the spreadsheet of losses - please check your email and Spam for email from: [email protected].

The deadline is Jan. 3rd to confirm that you will "join the complaint". To join you need to read the email and attachments and send back one document.

Happy New Year!

Heard so many stories similar to this. 

I bought my pulse used so no issues with delivery. It's such a shame because they really are great performing products

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

6 hours ago, Panelhead said:

It is telling that the direct sales were through Amazon. Guess no audio on line sites were interested.     

I wonder how that went. Did they ship product to buyers from there and not the crowd funded orders?

LH Labs is delivering on Amazon and they even have customer reviews. I guess they used backers' crowdfunding money to develop and sell on Amazon. Nothing wrong with that except for the fact that backers have not received their products. 

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

I just spent 10 minutes looking at all the related active threads I could find on Head-Fi, and did not see anyone from LH Labs replying.  All that is contained in those threads is a far greater  number of any customers with stories to tell.

They have a rep named Stuck Limo who replies very often. (someone called him "stuck limbo").

2 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

Do not the various state consumer affairs office or the state Attorney General shut down companies like LH? 

I am planning to look into this, as it is not an automatic process. I bet the FBI or the IRS would have a field day with them, as LH Labs's main breakthrough is very likely a new type of scheme.

1 hour ago, bernardperu said:

I am planning to look into this, as it is not an automatic process. I bet the FBI or the IRS would have a field day with them, as LH Labs's main breakthrough is very likely a new type of scheme.

Yes, I agreed, it's a new type of scheme.

I tried to look back to the history of the founder of LH Labs, both in US and Taiwan, but could not find any criminal history about him. But from the very early news reports while he's in Taiwan, and learned that he made some good fortune and reputation back over there. But why it's totally different now?

A lawsuit would be extremely difficult. Since we knew in advance no product was promised, what you would have to show would be either (1) the company's principals intended to and did use the money for other things, or (2) even though there was no firm time frame for delivery, the company's principals intended to, and did, delay delivery for so long that the item is now essentially worthless (not worthless to you specifically, but worthless in market terms).

Either of these would have to be proved by "clear and convincing" evidence, a heavy burden to carry.

My thought is that legal proceedings would be throwing good time and money after bad.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

LH Labs replied me about my Geek Source Order, below is their response:

"We are currently working on the Source project. We are finishing up on the Signature Edition models, and then we will begin work on the regular editions. We'll keep updating everyone as those dates become available! If there's anything else, please let us know and keep following our IGG page for the latest updates. 

Jarek"

But the response does not commit anything to the product delivery time frame...
1 hour ago, Jud said:

A lawsuit would be extremely difficult. Since we knew in advance no product was promised, what you would have to show would be either (1) the company's principals intended to and did use the money for other things, or (2) even though there was no firm time frame for delivery, the company's principals intended to, and did, delay delivery for so long that the item is now essentially worthless (not worthless to you specifically, but worthless in market terms).

Either of these would have to be proved by "clear and convincing" evidence, a heavy burden to carry.

My thought is that legal proceedings would be throwing good time and money after bad.

My thoughts almost exactly.  The most compelling reason for Larry to honor his commitments is the potentially destroyed reputation.  Some of us think it's already beyond repair, but maybe there are enough unaware consumers left to succeed in future endeavors.

27 minutes ago, rando said:

@Ralf11  You could always pursue that most ignominious of outlets tied to class action failures.   You could round up bilked investors to start a funding round for the purpose of producing a documentary based on the history of this company and it's leading figures.  :)

"A Tough Road to Ho"

The story of Larry Ho's LH Labs DAC's, Delays, & Despondency

A documentary narrated by a couple hundred well off individuals who assumed a high risk outlay

Your talent for snark is unmatched!

The proposed title is priceless. :D

This isn't in any way to minimize the fact that many people, including myself, who put up hundreds or even thousands of dollars years ago are justifiably feeling quite ripped off by LH. 

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

a lawsuit could be filed in any number of countries, all of which have different standards to win; much less to settle on favorable terms

Perhaps you could have a look for a country (1) with a more favorable burden of proof (2) entitled to exercise jurisdiction over LH labs (3) with liberal class action rules allowing people from many nations to join the class (4) where you don't have to pay a lawyer the case expenses for administering a large class action (5) where you can find someone willing to travel to California to serve LH Labs and not charge you a lot for the trip (or you could have the documents mailed and hope LH is stupid enough to agree to be sued in a foreign jurisdiction).

I'll wait.

6 hours ago, Jud said:

This isn't in any way to minimize the fact that many people, including myself, who put up hundreds or even thousands of dollars years ago are justifiably feeling quite ripped off by LH. 

Not at all.  I do hope most who put their money on the line come to view this as a failed investment in a company that simply lacked the right composition for success.  As much as the proposed mockumentary would help heal wounds.  I doubt it would draw attention to a problem that can be solved.      

The bait here was good. The same designers who are selling a 30,000.00 dac offering one for 99.00. 

The endless upgrades to bring the low cost unit up in performance only fueled and explained a little of the wait. Also endless for some.

The 1,000.00 or so spent on an Infinity would buy a nice dac today. A Denafrips, a Chord, a Gustard, maybe two of the Clarett 4Pre currently in residence at home.

Time is on our side. We fell for the something for nothing scan. What many got was nothing for something. 

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I believe a lawsuit is a no go and LH Labs knows it. A lawsuit would not even work, even as a bluff.

I am aiming on many of the following (maybe all of them) to happen and, hopefully, bring some justice to Larry Ho Labs: 

1) Backers joining a unified front.

2) Start a web site/facebook page that posts our experience with them

3) The media picking up on the story.

4) LH Labs being investigated by Federal Authorities.

5) Federal Authorities forcing them to refund the money or send Larry Ho to prison.

I am hoping I can contribute to repair what Larry Ho has done to our audiophile world. I do not mean to sound dramatic, perhaps it is just a tiny contribution. 

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, Superdad said:

I just spent 10 minutes looking at all the related active threads I could find on Head-Fi, and did not see anyone from LH Labs replying.  All that is contained in those threads is a far greater  number of any customers with stories to tell.

People forget that the only reason for any crowdfunding campaign is that the outfit  has already been turned down by all the banks and venture capitalists and are too 'dodgy' for  the owners to put their own money in.

If the owners are reluctant to mortgage or re-mortage their houses to fund their product it is indicative that they have little faith in what they are doing. And you shouldn't either.

I'm waiting for  this week's flying  car or supersonic executive jet. That's where my money is going :) 

Reading this with mild interest/amusement as I’m owed a linear power supply from another “Labs” - the infamous Welborne. Fortunately only out $300 for an LPS. They strung me along to the point where I could no longer get a refund from my CC company - a well known tactic of scammers, and of course are now long out of business. It’s sounding like it’s best to avoid audio manufacturers with Labs in the name...

I’m just curious as to what kind of audiophile pixie dust LHL was offering in this oversaturated market and why so many would choose to throw obscene amounts of $ at something they’ve never seen or heard? And yes, non delivery of crowdfunding hurts everybody that uses that platform, no matter the industry. There’s something to be said for the traditional dealer network....

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.