IGNORED

Microrendu and the Lindemann Musicbook DSD

I bought the Lindemann and really loving what I'm hearing. It's Music Server interface is slow. I really wish to use Roon with this music player. So I'm thinking of getting the Microrendu.

My worry is that the MB DSD works best it seems as an upsampler to DSD. It works that way best according to Lindemann. They have no experience of the Microrendu. 

Might there be problems sending upsampled DSD to the Musicbook which already upsamples DSD? Maybe I use a different stream? Is it even worth getting the Microrendu given the excellent quality of the Musicbook we are experiencing other than of course, lack of Roon?

Also, I have an old Power Supply built by Welborne Labs called the Sonore ;) It's an 8 volt supply. Any reason why I should buy the iFi? I have a high end PS on the shelf but its 12volts. May look into changing voltage but may not be that easy.

Thanks for your help.

On 4/3/2017 at 3:31 PM, MichaelHiFi said:

I bought the Lindemann and really loving what I'm hearing. It's Music Server interface is slow. I really wish to use Roon with this music player. So I'm thinking of getting the Microrendu.

My worry is that the MB DSD works best it seems as an upsampler to DSD. It works that way best according to Lindemann. They have no experience of the Microrendu. 

Might there be problems sending upsampled DSD to the Musicbook which already upsamples DSD? Maybe I use a different stream? Is it even worth getting the Microrendu given the excellent quality of the Musicbook we are experiencing other than of course, lack of Roon?

Also, I have an old Power Supply built by Welborne Labs called the Sonore ;) It's an 8 volt supply. Any reason why I should buy the iFi? I have a high end PS on the shelf but its 12volts. May look into changing voltage but may not be that easy.

Thanks for your help.

I see no reason for concern because you can send the file as is or up sample as needed. 

On 4/3/2017 at 4:44 PM, MichaelHiFi said:

Perhaps the SonicTransporter i5 is what I'm looking for? Plays Roon attaches my NAS and feeds my MB. Seems like a lot of money considering the Microrendu capabilities.

The SonicTransporter is meant to be a server used in combination with the microRendu. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/04/2017 at 1:08 AM, MichaelHiFi said:

Thanks vortecjr,

I sort of gathered that from web research so I ordered the microRendu. At least I can Roonafi 9_9

Hi,
Any update on your microRendu + Musicbook combo?
Would be grateful if you share your experiences with your Lindemann. I started a dedicated topic for Lindemann DACs.
TIA.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

We've playing playing with this combo for nearly a month now. I was waiting for breakin and learning optimal settings. That and I had upgraded the cross-over components in the speakers so those needed to settle in as well. Some of my findings have been startling and I hate sharing those as I have thin skin, but for the few it might be well served to share.

I use dedicated AC service through very high quality outlets that in turn feed a modded BPT isolation transformer. All of my sources are plugged into this transformer although I can go direct into wall outlet. I've been using the Auralic Altair, the Lumin T1, Lumin A1, NAD M51 and I have an Emotiva XMC-1 with DIRAC. Also of note is a VPI Scoutmaster feeding a Rogue Audio Ares phono preamp. The BMC S1 amp does the heavy lifting. I also have the MusicBook's 55 amp on hand, still not broken in, but early on I felt the BMC as has been the case for years against other amps is just sounds better to our ears.

The Musicbook DSD all by itself to this point is perhaps the finest piece of audio gear I've ever purchased. I'm in my 60's and started this hobby at 10. I've owned some gear. The MR + Sonic transporter take the MB to a different level. I say different level in that the MR + ST allow me to use Roon and if needed, to correct for bass issues, an important attribute. I was first amazed at how easy and logical the Musicbook was to setup and, how consistent it has been once setup to simply, play music. I have NOT been plagued with network issues but that's another story. Can I say crap network cables plagued my home? With every input the MB presented a wealth of information and multilayered layered soundstage that depending upon what it's sitting on, could go beyond the width of the speakers. It's been mesmerizing as my wife and I have been playing music evening after evening along with experimentation with setup and cables and vibration control. Today we'll put the speakers on furniture dolly's to try to diminish some bass issues that have plagued my speakers from day 1. That's another story. 

So by itself the MB as a DAC I can find no faults just rediscover our music collection in a good way. Adding the MR and Sonic transporter gave us roon as I mentioned. I finally have a source that's powerful and easy to use. Easy to use and it works. Initially, in setup the MR +ST found the Musicbook no problem. But then I probably changed a setting and lost the Musicbook. This was extremely frustrating and it was only by accident that I realized there's the app called the music switcher that I had switched to some other source. Learning curve in play. The sound. What this combination added in sound was even greater clarity, deeper stage, micro and macro dynamics like I've never heard. Having a few power supplies sitting around, a 9 volter from Welborne labs and a huge 12 volt supply called the "Kora" just heightened the aforementioned attributes. This system was playing in some serious territory! We were playing old and new, crappy recordings, great recordings, throwing everything at it and it just played somehow, seemingly true to the source, It didn't etch things as I've heard so often, nor did it pronounce certain frequencies but as a audiophile buddy of mine noted, it would scale vocals and instruments extremely well. Vocals in our setup with this formidable combination are typically more recessed behind the plane of the speakers. Image is very stable, not etched in space but believable. My wife having adopted this crazy hobby of mine added these rather large look like handballs that sith inside a plastic cup under the Musicbook. This gained even more air, a crazy amount of space and that was "fun" to listen too. Ultimately though, the performers it seemed had gone on a diet and the wood instruments lost some body so out with the balls. I then tried Isopods under the MB and that was better. Better bass, a little warmer in character, gave up some air but good. Then we added them under the power supplies as well but really had to back and forth to tell a difference. They stayed. There was so much change when plying with feet and isolation we thought we'd place the musicbook on a large maple block. That change was much better as the bass went deeper (although I noted some stuff was rattling in the room) the stage grew again and the overall tone was brilliant, solid foundation, lots of room around the instruments, really pleasant . Adding the Isopods under the MB took it backwards. We continued with various techniques of isolation even under the amp, including maple plus the Isopodes. This really softened the system. It was as if I changed my SS amp to tubes and well, I love tubes but the music lost it drive and some clarity. It was just too slow for us so out went the Isonodes again. The Isonodes just couldn't find a home. Point I'm making is that in my system, the source components I believe are so good, that response to tuning is not trivial. It really affects the overall sonic picture.  In the past, isolation was the last thing I'd do if at all, but these components appear to be very sensitive to their surroundings. (My wife wants me to lose the maple under the amp but I like the warmth ;).

I really didn't want to write this as yet as I like throwing other DAC's in the mix in real time (not that anyone cares). I'm hopeful to get an iggy and a Minerva and should have the Lumin A1 this weekend. I had found the Lumin too soft which was very surprising to me. I just couldn't listen to it. But I know it's a world class DAC so I need another direct comparison. 

As a footnote the Musicbook as a volume control for my vinyl setup was the most enlightening experience yet. My 6 year old looked at me after about 1 minute of spinning Neil Young's "Prairie Wind", "Dad, this is so clear and so amazing, will you give me your vinyl when I grow up?". Actually I think he said when I die :/ He has been very enthusiastic with Musicbook MR + Transporter. He's already got a good start on his playlist. I'll try to attach a few pics. 

MB & ST.JPG

System.JPG

4-22 stereo.JPG

NAS & PS.JPG