IGNORED

Article: Dynamic Range: No Quiet = No Loud

First and foremost, thanks for another great article and insight Mitch!

I'm wondering if you could do a follow up article on the differences between crest DR which you (and DR database uses) and R128 DR. I found different opinions everywhere, at least on JRiver's Wiki, they basically state they bother measure differently and need to be looked at in different scenarios with neither being the final say on DR. But on the ROON forums its a very different story where everything about crest DR is not relevant and R128 (some say combined with waveform analysis) is the only way to look at it. Where there are 1000 examples of where I think this is wrong I tried to look in my collection of different versions of the same CD where this is best illustrated and I finally found one, Def Leppard Hysteria. I have both the 1987 and 2006 remastered versions and the nice thing with this example is that R128 shows negligible difference but DR is almost double on the original compared to the remastered version and I don't think I have to tell you which sounds better. And because the peak levels are close to the same it's easy to test without adjusting the volume, granted I did want to turn down the volume on the 2006 version. I won't explain the differences from the technical side, I'll leave that to you.  

Andy

P.S. and I just noticed in the pic that I didn't label the albums properly, the top is the 1987 version and bottom being the remastered (with bonus songs cutoff). 

Hysteria.jpg