IGNORED

Article: Dynamic Range: No Quiet = No Loud

23 hours ago, ednaz said:

I can mostly tolerate the low DR stuff on speakers as background or turned up loud for an energy boost, but can't listen to that stuff at all on good headphones or CIEMs.  It's like being assaulted.

Good sum-up of the history and current situation.  Before the late 80s much of the compression was left to the providers (like radio stations) with the DR of the master tapes still in the 12 to 15 range. Now much of the what the labels release is under a DR10.  Even new "High Definition" remasters of the great old classics get squashed from there original dynamic sound. Witness my old thread on Jackson Brown - Running On Empty and compression linked below.

Shame the industry couldn't get together and agree on a standardized compression level. Something that could be reasonably accurately undone at the user end if desired. Even back in the "good ole days" many, including myself, were using things like Bob Carvers AutoCorrelator system to replace missing dynamics and reduce noise from LP's and tape. But of course that would never fly since much of the idea is also to make provider A sound "better/louder than the provider B.  >:(

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, KDinsmore said:

I've been on a re-buying tear this past year replacing my bad/poor DR music with good DR. I check out what I own w/the DR meter and if its bad go to the DR site and find a good issue, comb Discogs, eBay, SH forum and buy it. I think I've bought about 100 CD's this year not to mention SACD's. The difference in sound is significant and I'm quite happy I've reviewed my older music. All the new stuff I immediately check DR.

That's great, nice to have the stuff from before the label Godzilla's were eating all the DR.  :)

Since I became aware of the dynamic range site some years back I always check it before buying anything to get the best I can. Don't forget to contribute back and put up as much info as you can on stuff in you collection that hasn't been already listed.. We all benifit.

Cheers

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.