IGNORED

LKS AUDIO MH-DA004

Please do. I hope you'll discover some amazing results !

From mac_and_dac  informing us (me for sure) about the Power Inspired AC Regen's, and the referenced Equi=tech, Core Power Technology  (CPT) and/or if you can find (and would consider) a clean, used Blue Circle MR-800 or MR-1200 Balanced Power Supply (Canadian brand) you will be well served.

Let us know what you discover !

Happy listening ...

pj  

Has anyone had a chance to test the LKS Audio MH-DA004 DAC's DSD capabilities and sound quality with HQP or similar?
The new ES9038 Pro chip seems to be finding its way into more interesting units. The new Matrix Audio'a latest DSD 1024 looks very promising too!

So many wonderful choices and so difficult to decide, I guess part of the fun.:)

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

Hello, I just have MH-DA004 in few days ago and the sound is gorgeous.  However, it has happened three times the DAC stopped "unexpectedly" (message from Audirvana 2.6). I don't know the reasons from first two times; however USB was in unlock mode from third time. It stopped while music was playing. Does anybody knows the reason for this.

I have MacBook Pro using Audirvance 2.6. Music files store in external drive using USB cable.

Try with the DPLL setting at 15, the most forgiving. If you are still seeing issues, then it's not a problem with the 9038 chips getting a lock.

You haven't mentioned whether you are passing DSD or PCM to the MH-DA004.

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

Thank you mac_and_dac. I had changed DPLL setting to 15, it unlocked once again since I changed settings.  

I pass DSD files to MH-DA001.  This DAC sounds so good, it opens up the soundstage with very good spacial separation. Very musical and involving indeed.

I had sent email to MU-Audio, they haven't got back to me.  I hope nothing is wrong with the unit.

Try PCM and see if you get the same problem.

How are you running your DSD into the unit, via USB or S/PDIF?

FWIW, I don't think the Amanero board within the unit supports DSD512, if you are running that high.

If there is a fault with the unit, then it is most likely with that board rather than any other aspect of the machine. The board should be very easy to replace. In the MH-DA003 it was just a case of unscrewing it and lifting it out, no soldering required. I expect it is identical in the 004.

Faults with the board are fairly uncommon, I think, and I expect your problem will be resolvable through trial and error, e.g. trying different DSD settings with your player, or trying different cables/inputs.

If you can send me the software player you are using, and settings, and your connection details, I can see if I can reproduce the fault on my machine.

Wifi is also a common culprit for faults with hi res replay, but I expect you are fully cabled up.

mac_and_dac

On 2017-6-2 at 1:20 AM, samleung said:

Hello, I just have MH-DA004 in few days ago and the sound is gorgeous.  However, it has happened three times the DAC stopped "unexpectedly" (message from Audirvana 2.6). I don't know the reasons from first two times; however USB was in unlock mode from third time. It stopped while music was playing. Does anybody knows the reason for this.

I have MacBook Pro using Audirvance 2.6. Music files store in external drive using USB cable.

I had similar problem in DSD512 play back (003 MK II upgrade 9038pro  ) ,finally DSD 48X512 no any problem ,I made a diy cooler to  control 9038pro temperature  lower than forty degrees Celsius  or similar temperature around there  ,this temperature control solution may be also work for you case .

Thank you Kings_audio.

How does you diy cooler work? Use DC fan? Remove the top cover will help?

I have read there is issue with over-heat with this 9308 chip.  Any other suggestion to rectify?

I have reply from Mu-Audio and he suspects there is issue with USB board; they will send new one to replace it. 

Regards,

I use this PWM Temperature Control with ntc 10k thin film  sensor on 9308 chip ,install one 12CM PWM fan  on top cover , and change cooling holes to rear side   ,this position is more easy  to control   9308  temperature ,

Remove the top cover may be also help ,but for play DSD512 still unstable 

in my experience at least to control   9308  temperature between 36℃ to 42℃ ,you sure every easy to get one sweet point for best sound quality ,at this moment my USB board no any  issue .

Happy listening ...

1 hour ago, kings_audio said:

I use this PWM Temperature Control with ntc 10k thin film  sensor on 9308 chip ,install one 12CM PWM fan  on top cover , and change cooling holes to rear side   ,this position is more easy  to control   9308  temperature ,

Remove the top cover may be also help ,but for play DSD512 still unstable 

in my experience at least to control   9308  temperature between 36℃ to 42℃ ,you sure every easy to get one sweet point for best sound quality ,at this moment my USB board no any  issue .

Happy listening ...

I cannot see the images you post.

Does anybody else have the same problem?

Thank you all for helpful advice.

I was told by seller this unit doesn't support DSD 256 with Apple. Can someone please comfirm?

If this is true, then the ad is very misleading and confusing.  It said: "DSD support DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DSD512 (Windows)".

Sam

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2017 at 6:58 PM, jjkale said:

Happy July 4th.

Has anyone operated the LKS with the I2S connection?

Thanks very much!

Hi

I looked at doing this using Singxer USB interfaces, but was put off by reports of it not working so well - I can't remember exactly, but I think there were cracks and pops at the end of each track.

There is something about it over on headfi.org, you would need to search around there on the LKS Audio MH-DA003 thread (which has become a 004 thread also, recently).

cheers

1 hour ago, mac_and_dac said:

Hi

I looked at doing this using Singxer USB interfaces, but was put off by reports of it not working so well - I can't remember exactly, but I think there were cracks and pops at the end of each track.

There is something about it over on headfi.org, you would need to search around there on the LKS Audio MH-DA003 thread (which has become a 004 thread also, recently).

cheers

Thanks Mac.  I will check headfi.

Actually I'm not going to use the Singxer.  I have a PinkFaun streamer with a MCH I2S Bridge.  LKS (Shenzhen) does not offer a trial, so I am trying to determine if dudes are using the I2S and if they are happy with that connection.

Thanks for hitting me back.

jjk