IGNORED

which quality USB cable to consider?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, DelsFan said:

I haven't tried it yet, but someone I trust recommended the AudioQuest Carbon (USB cable) - $170 approx. for 1.5 metres; surely less expensive for a shorter version.

One thing I can assure you of, based on my experience with

power cords and

cables and

interconnects,

replacing the stock $0.50 to $3.00 stock offerings with a reputable offering in the $50 to $200 range has ALWAYS made a significant improvement in sound in all my systems, including the $150 computer speaker system I own. 

Also, purchasing a "minimal" power conditioner is a worthwhile (necessary) expenditure (only one example is the PS Audio Duet - I only mention it because I bought one used here in town and it made an instant difference with my inexpensive TV system).

I will upgrade soon, but even the $50 Iron Lung Jellyfish power cords work great, not $300 or $500/each like some that are "better", but as a first step for not a lot of money,

upgrading from the cheapest cable a manufacturer can source to the least of the good to great cables is a "requirement".

Yes, it's more money spent, but for another 10% of your total investment your system will sound like every component has been replaced with one slightly better.  And we know what that costs!

I expect to have between $1,000 and $1,200 invested in (power) cords and (headphone) cables and (analog, USB, and Ethernet) interconnects for my $5000 or so headphone system (under construction) - this amount depending upon whether or not I incorporate a streamer and if I use a DAC/headphone amp combo (which saves a power cord and interconnect).  However, I'm looking at the low end of "real" hi-fi cables as opposed to my recommendation to you:

At least upgrade every cheap cable in your system to something that could be classified as being in the absolute bottom range of hi-fi..

Hello, welcome to the CA forum. Very interested in your comments.

What $50 to $200 cables do you use with your $150 computer speakers, and how would you describe the improvement in SQ?

How do I determine if a $50 to $200 cable is reputable?

What makes a $300 to $500 power cord better than a $50 power cord?

Please define what you describe as a "'real" hi-fi cable, and "the absolute bottom range of hi-fi". Is it a specific price point?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CuteStudio said:

Thank-you for your thoughts Daudio, in fact I did read the last post and implicitly referenced it by mentioning the authors name of one of the links, and quoted it, as shown above.

Cable discussions are rather like a holy war and I can see I have already inadvertently inflamed you, for that I apologise, that was not my intention.

Thanks for joining the forum and expressing your views. You sound confident in your opinions, a good thing.

Don't be intimidated by the condescending, self-anoited experts here who call you ignorant and inexperienced, then preach patience and humility.