IGNORED

Sonore microRendu USB to Audio Research DAC8

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a Sonore microRendu which I planned to use with my Audio Research DAC8 via USB.  I had no problem setting the Sonore microRendu up on my network, but I haven't been able to get it to recognize my Audio Research DAC8 USB input.  I have another Stello DAC on hand which the microRendu recognizes right away.  The Audio Research DAC8 manual specifies how to install Windows and Mac OS drivers, so I assume my problem may be with the USB not being recognized.  The specs for the DAC list the USB as "USB 2.0 HS (480Mbps) 44.1 to 192kHz".  

Does anyone has any suggestions on what I should try to get this working?

Thanks

30 minutes ago, electrafixion said:

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a Sonore microRendu which I planned to use with my Audio Research DAC8 via USB.  I had no problem setting the Sonore microRendu up on my network, but I haven't been able to get it to recognize my Audio Research DAC8 USB input.  I have another Stello DAC on hand which the microRendu recognizes right away.  The Audio Research DAC8 manual specifies how to install Windows and Mac OS drivers, so I assume my problem may be with the USB not being recognized.  The specs for the DAC list the USB as "USB 2.0 HS (480Mbps) 44.1 to 192kHz".  

Does anyone has any suggestions on what I should try to get this working?

Thanks

DAC8 is known to have an issue with the microrendu -- there's some sort of issue with Linux and the usb interface used in the DAC8.  You'll have to use a usb-to-spdif converter to make it work.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
26 minutes ago, electrafixion said:

Thanks jcn3.  I didn't give a thought to USB compatibility when I ordered the microRendu.  

I guess I'll ditch the microRendu and stick with my Simaudio Mind which has conventional digital outputs.

unfortunately you ran into a fairly unique situation -- only a few dacs out there have the problem.

you don't have to ditch the microrendu -- you can add a singxer f-1 usb/spdif converter ($200) or a singxer su-1 ($400) to get usb to aes/ebu.  there are more expensive options out there, too . . . 

of course, if you are just going to sell the microrendu, you can simply pocket the $!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I have the new DAC 9 and sadly the situation is still the same. None of the Linux music servers work with the DAC9 without converting USB to spdif. I've owned both the Bryston BUC-1 USB converter(previous) and now the Berkeley Alpha USB. While the Bryston unit IS VERY GOOD ... the Berkeley unit is in another league which it should be for over double the price. Its a shame that ARC didn't do their homework on these units to realize that Linux support is important as many of the music servers use that as the OS. That said ... using the Berkeley Alpha USB even on 44.1 material made a huge difference and I'm very pleased. Good luck!

George

And just to be clear ... even though I've been a little frustrated with lack of Linux and Mac based DSD support my DAC9 is staying in my system for many, many years as I've not heard anything else that I like anywhere near as much and that includes some very expensive dac's!

I too would really like to keep my DAC8, but I really hate the idea of a collection of little boxes and power supplies to try and get the latest computer audio playback working.  It seems odd me the that OEM supplier of ARC's USB input solution hasn't developed a Linux driver.  That said, their website clearly just shows WIndows and Mac OS:

http://rigisystems.net/index.php/usbpalen.html

A less costly solution than the Berkeley Alpha USB is the Bryson BUC-1 which works really well with Linux and still may provide some sound quality improvements over the stock board as well.  It does require a few more cables but may be worth it to allow us to enjoy how musical these dacs are. 

Thanks.  So your understanding was that there would be replacement USB board available?  That would sure make me a happy ARC customer.  If nothing else I want to hang on to my DAC 8 because it looks so pretty beside my ARC Ref pre and power.  (If that makes me a vain Audiophile, so be it!)

It was listed as a kit and to be clear it is to make it compatible with the newer MacOS devices. No mention of Linux. The email said it was a "kit" and that it would allow the DAC 8 to work without any special drivers on the Mac. It said to contact dealer or support at Audio Research. Hope that helps and good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, 

I too grabbed a microrendu as a Roon endpoint to feed a DAC8 , [with LS26, VS115, Shahinian Obelisks, along with a CD2 and Well Tempered VERSALEX and PH3, and yes I do like that the ARC gear matches]

The ARC email about the DAC8 USB board upgrade states: 
"The DAC8 update is finally here.  The update will be available March 1st.  If you wish to have your DAC8 updated, please go to our website and fill out the service repair link in the top right.  The update is $950.00 and makes it compatible with all current Apple operating systems.  Apple DOESN’T support DSD files in their core audio and that will not be a part of the update since Apple doesn’t allow it.  The update turnaround time will be about a week.  It includes new boards, wires, connectors and internal firmware updates.  You will not need any drivers for Apples and if you have one on your computer you must delete it."

I queried  ARC service "Does this make the DAC8 USB 2.0 audio specification compliant under linux" as that is the spec the microrendu expects, to which they responded:
"Our DAC8 will register as Linux ALSA sound device supporting 24S_3LE format, but you would have to test with your specific device and make any required modifications to the driver system on your Linux host."

I then copied this reply to Jesus at Sonore, who responded "If that is the case you should be good now."

So in theory at least all should be good with the DAC8's upgraded USB interface and the microrendu, which leaves 2 points:
*   It sure would be nice not to be the lab rat testing this one, and 
*   By all accounts the best option here might be to tuck away a Berkeley alpha USB, which while expensive, isn't prohibitive against the cost of the upgrade, and given ARC's perhaps "average" USB implementations to date that is a safer bet as I won't be able to demo either option. Certainly I've seen ChrisC comment that the DAC8 sounds far better through AES or SPDIF than the USB input.

Anyone with relevant experience I'd love to have your thoughts.

Nick

Thanks Nick, that's very interesting.  

I can't understand why Audio Research didn't advise me of this when I contacted them via email specifically inquiring about the DAC8 update.  Also interesting is the phrase "It includes new boards..." as that would suggest not only the third party USB board is being changed, but also the DAC board itself.  The $950 price also sounds consistent with the main board being replaced.  I'm also left wondering if this means the DAC8 will support DSD via windows and Linux after the update...I thought it was just PCM on this model. 

I guess I'll phone them this week to ask since they seem to just brush off customer email inquiries as quickly and incompletely as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I called and talked to Audio Research to try and get some clarification.  They told me the $950 upgrade is to replace the USB input with two new boards, not the DAC board itself.  The person I spoke with said he didn't believe the new board would work with Linux. 

Chris' recent review of the new DAC9, and the discussion in the comments section are enlightening.  Presumably the $950 DAC8 USB upgrade is merely the same USB interface ARC is providing on the DAC9, which sounds to be problematic.  ARC actually posted the following in the comments section:

"Here at Audio Research, we own up to the shortcomings of the USB interface and have been working diligently on a replacement interface since we first discovered the limitations late last year. Unfortunately, our original design placed the priority on Windows as our primary platform for validation testing. Moving forward, the focus and majority of our validation testing will be on Linux and macOS platforms.

As Chris mentions in his review, we are committed to releasing an update this year. Original owners who have registered their product will be notified and given preferential treatment.

We are happy to report this weekend, we completed our first round of Linux compatibility testing with a new USB solution. The real challenge is ensuring any new solution we develop will retrofit all of our current products such as the DAC9 as well as much of our legacy product. Our engineering team is working to rectify the issue quickly.

The DAC9 has great architecture and the proof is in the listening. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused by the limitations of the USB interface. We care deeply about our customer’s happiness and when we find limitations like this, we take finding a fix very seriously. For those facing these limitations, we recommend the following workarounds:

• For macOS platforms: set your player software to only use PCM up to 192kHz.
  • For Linux platforms: use a USB to SPDIF converter such as the Aurender UC 100 USB/SPDIF converter.
  • For Windows platforms: enjoy the full capability of the USB interface."