IGNORED

new router (Air Port Extreme) and streaming

Jason,

have you made an offering to the network gods?

If so, you might want to up the ante, perhaps even human sacrifice is in order, but only consider offering up those who actually sold you said device, never those who merely recommended it. ;)

clay

Try temporarily moving the Extreme Base Station closer to the Express. If that eliminates the dropouts, I suspect they are too far apart.

The refurb Extreme Base Station you bought is the previous generation 2-band model. A model introduced 2 months ago has 3 antennas rather than 2. According to Apple's product page: "improvements in antenna design give you up to 50 percent better performance and up to 25 percent better range than with the previous-generation AirPort Extreme Base Station." Therefore, you might consider returning the refurb Extreme Base Station and buying the current version. (Your Express is still current.)

If you want to delve into the details of using Airport Utility to configure the Extreme Base Station, download:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf

To configure the Express as a client, see the instructions for using Airport Utility on the lower half of this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731

You almost certainly are using the fastest "N" protocol rather than the old "G" protocol. When both N and G are enabled on two devices, they will automatically communicate using N. The only way to disable G on the Extreme Base Station is to use a non-obvious trick in Airport Utility: hold down the Option key while clicking the Radio Mode popup menu.

One trick you might try is to force the Extreme Base Station to use the N protocol on a 2.4 GHz channel instead of 5 GHz. That may provide a faster data rate when the signal is weak. I am not completely sure because I have an older model Extreme, but I think you can do that in Airport Utility by selecting Airport > Wireless > Channel, and choosing a channel from 1 to 11. When Channel is Automatic, it reverts to 5 GHz.

To compare whether 5 GHz (Channel=Automatic) or 2.4 GHz (channel 1-11) gives you a faster data rate, you can view a log of the data rate between the Extreme Base Station and each connected client using Airport Utility. Click on the Express Base Station's icon, click the Manual Setup button, then from the Base Station menu, choose Logs & Statistics. Click the Wireless Clients tab. Ignore the graph, but in the table below, look at the Rate column for the Express client (identified by its MAC address = Airport ID).

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

"The refurb Extreme Base Station you bought is the previous generation 2-band model."

Thanks for this info, Bob,

I hadn't kept track of the Extreme and was about to buy a refurbished model - as I almost always do - and didn't stop to wonder WHY there was a refurb Extreme available for such a lower price.

OTOH, living in Manhattan, I might not NEED the newer model, at least now I can make an intelligent decision.

cheers,

clay