IGNORED

new router (Air Port Extreme) and streaming

My Linksys is FINALLY on the way out. I see that Apple has the Extreme for $129 (refurb) and was thinking that might be a good idea for me. Does anyone use it here? How is the range? I really like the fact that I could plug my printer into it. I know the Airport Express will do the same but I think it's worth the extra money for the extra distance.

thoughts on it? Can I actually stream wireless from my Mac Mini with my AIFF files to it? I still need something for the kitchen for playback...what to get????

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Ah, kind of like when math teachers in school word say, "Show your work!"

Here is what I have and why.

1. Airport Express - This is the one that I use for streaming audio and bringing wireless with me to audio shows. My little secret is to broadcast my SSID in the hotel as an advertisement. The SSID many hotel guests will see is "Computer Audiophile" when they look for wireless networks :~)

2. Airport Extreme v1 - This is used for 502.11n at 5GHz only. Thus the network will not be slowed down by an 802.11a/b/g 2.4 GHZ device. I got this unit before v2 was available. I have attached hard drives to this Airport Extreme and used it as a NAS drive. I can work well, but it also may not work in your environment at all. It's not built to the standards of a real NAS. What I do now is connect an external drive for Time Machine backups.

3. Airport Extreme v2 Dual Band - I use this device in both 802.11n and a/b/g as separate networks. The major thing here is slow devices don't slow down the 802.11n network. A huge benefit of this device is it allows my iPhone and iPod Touch to connect to the 802.11g network and control my music servers.

I separate the the Airport Extremes in my house as far as I can. I set the SSID or Network Name to the same thing on both Extremes. This way I can browse the house and float from access point to access point. You could use the extend feature of the Extremes but it causes a major performance hit.

Does this help?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

As Chris says, the Airport Extreme is not used for streaming audio, as it has no optical output, For this you need an Airport Express or Apple TV. The ATV is a similar form factor to the Airport Extreme.

I have ATV, a pre dual-band Extreme, and multiple Airport Expresses, some N, and others G band only. I keep meaning to but a dual-band, but with G band networks served via Airport Express, I've not needed it to prevent drop-outs. I did experience dropouts when wireless streaming via G-band, but none since moving to N-band. I do keep the G band traffic off the N-band network.

An Airport Extreme is the recommended hub - as it allows Airdisk function, i.e. connecting a hard disk via USB directly to the router for wireless audio data 'serving' to multiple iTunes clients, as needed.

For purely convenience listening, pick up an Airport Express and use it for audio streaming via it's audio analog out (not for audiophile purposes), or the mini-Toslink output. Prime example would be plugging an AE into the back of an AudioEngine A5 for a small bedroom / portable system, or connecting it to an Audioengine A2.

For higher quality, but still 'convenience' (i.e. wireless) listening, I'd go with the Apple TV, as it's DAC output seems slightly improved (and it has a regular Toslink output), as is it's analog out (although still not audiophile quality, think iPod quality).

I connect the Toslink output to my ULN-2 via the ADAT input.

Both the Apple TV and the Airport Express support Airtunes, i.e. they can receive audio wirelessly from any of multiple Apple computers within range. Plus they can receive audio from Airfoil as well - for non-iTunes audio streaming.

Dealer's choice.

clay

Chris,

I understand now. Is the AExtreme not good for a 3500sq ft house? Meaning I would need multiple extremes? I was thinking one extreme for house / pool side and one express for music to the kitchen / pool side. thoughts?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

get extreme and use it as my main hub. My Mac Mini and laptop can work off of it. Then get an AExpress and use it for the A2 system. Does the AExpress need to be plugged into a Cat5e from the network or can it feed from the extreme? I'm a little confused on the wiring / streaming part.

No need for cable with the Airport Express.

In Airport Utility, you must configure the AE before use. You can set it up to 'Join a network', which will add it to the Airport Extreme's network sans cable. The only cable you'll need is a 1/8" mini to stereo RCA to connect the AE to the A2.

Don't forget to enable Airtunes when you configure the Airport Express

enjoy

clay

I just ordered my Extreme. Should I set it up using my Mac Mini (dedicated for audio) or do it through my PC? $129 on the apple refurb site.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB763LL/A?mco=MTA4MjczMDM

Chris, in order to use the Airport Extreme Dual band router, do I also need to install an Airport Extreme Card for the inside G5 to communicate with this ext. router? (G5 doesn't support 802.11n, so should I get the dual band router anyway?)

Thanks

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Do I need also that internal Airport Ext. Card Chris to make it work with the Airport Extreme Router? I'd like to go wirelessly, but if this won't work, you're right, I can just run a long run of Cat 5.

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

No, it's not wireless. So I need the card too....I thought it maybe so.

Thanks Chris for all the help this am! I asked for just the straight version of the Lynx card, ie: no srm. I'm sure I'm going to need help setting up the card, if I get it for XMas. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

Chris

It seems that with the new dual-band Airport Extreme, you won't need this, but since you mentioned Airport Extreme and Linksys, it might help someone else in searches. I had a failing but still running Linksys G and an Airport Extreme that could do wireless 2.4 or 5 gHz but not simultaneously. I stumbled on this "how-to". Works like a charm.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/dualbandnet/

Also, if you find the Airport Extreme doesn't reach your whole house (though I expect it should) you can get an Airport Express and use it as an access point (feed its ethernet to your Mac) and an extender (re-broadcast your wireless further throughout the house). Not to mention its music playing and printer hookup capabilities. Great gadget.

I got the Airport Extreme setup and am just waiting on the AExpress to arrive along with the A2 speakers. During my setup, I noticed that there is a share feature. Is it possible that I can leave my Mac on at home and get another pair of A2 for work along with maybe an express and listen to my music from there? If so, that would be really cool.

I was able to get the printer share function working as well. That's cool! Much better / faster then the Linksys it replaced.

"Is it possible that I can leave my Mac on at home and get another pair of A2 for work along with maybe an express and listen to my music from there? If so, that would be really cool."

That depends, do you work in a home office?

It's rather easy to share your library within the same local network, but sharing over the internet requires different software, e.g. Simplify Media.

http://www.simplifymedia.com/

For portable playback, the best bet for transporting (rather than sharing) files might be a Western Digital My Passport, or similar. You can get 500Gb now, I think.

In a larger form factor, you could put an SSD into a case and create your own custom portable SSD. You could also setup the SSD as a bootable drive, but presumably you'd want to be able to play music AND use your computer for work. ;)

clay

Clay,

"I connect the Toslink output to my ULN-2 via the ADAT input."

Sorry for the off-topic. Do ADAT inputs accept Toslink without modification? And what about the other way round - can you connect a Toslink cable to an ADAT output? Ie. with a Toslink input at the other end?

Best

Jens

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

"Sorry for the off-topic."

hmmm, if we need apologize for every off topic question/comment, I should do better to put your words above in my sig file. :)

"Do ADAT inputs accept Toslink without modification?"

Yes, it's the same physical connection, but don't assume that all ADAT inputs/outputs can accept Optical S/PDIF as the protocols are quite different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAT_Lightpipe

All ULN-2s with 2D card can accept Toslink input ,whether ADAT or Optical S/PDIF, as well as Firewire 400, AES/EBU & Coax S/PDIF.

cheers,

clay

If Chris doesn't watch out the site name might change to EliClayaudiophile.com (Eloise / Clay)

Why you ask? No matter what you ask they have the answer. It's almost like being married. :) LOL

In all seriousness, we're very lucky to have this site and the great people that visit.

So I got my Airport Extreme, Airport Express and AudioEngine A2's all hooked up and running. The only issue I have (big one) is that the connection on the A2's seems to dropout every song after 30 seconds or so.

Why? How do I fix?