IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Shairport Output Mode

vortecjr

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We don’t use Shairport we use Shairport Sync...

FYI. I have recently begun experiencing dropouts and intermittent playback issues with my uR set to Shareport. I switched back to my Airport Express and normal, uninterrupted playback resumed. I use Airplay for IDAGIO streaming and OVERCAST podcast streaming from my iPad.

Shareport was working fine when I first started streaming IDAGIO in October 2018.

I'm on SO 2.7 and do updates periodically.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

As mentioned it's old news but it's very easy to test anyway, as I tested above...

https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/issues/412

1814759052_ScreenShot2019-05-05at9_29_49pm.thumb.png.ff09ce82635a6aec0a119839733b3a66.png

That is not really an issue...that is just the way resampling is handled because Shairport Sync or Airplay do not support 24 bit streams. If your are trying to play an MQA file it will be converted to 16 bit and thus you will not get the blue MQA light to turn on. If you are streaming a rebook file at 16 bit / 44.1K then you are fine.

2 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

FYI. I have recently begun experiencing dropouts and intermittent playback issues with my uR set to Shareport. I switched back to my Airport Express and normal, uninterrupted playback resumed. I use Airplay for IDAGIO streaming and OVERCAST podcast streaming from my iPad.

Shareport was working fine when I first started streaming IDAGIO in October 2018.

I'm on SO 2.7 and do updates periodically.

This is not something I can help with because it's more likely than not a system or network issue. Also, we have not updated anything in this respect in a long time so I would not suspect that was an issue. Also, I just played some tracks here via iTunes and did not notice any issues. I don't use IDAGIO streaming and OVERCAST podcast streaming so I can't comment on them.   

6 hours ago, vortecjr said:

If your are trying to play an MQA file it will be converted to 16 bit and thus you will not get the blue MQA light to turn on. If you are streaming a rebook file at 16 bit / 44.1K then you are fine.

Have another read of my initial post... I already mentioned MQA CD (not 24 bit MQA) plays fine over Airplay 2 to Airport Express... MQA light is on, with MQA DAC. This means official Airplay 2 is bit perfect with 16/44.1 (as you would expect for the real thing). Obviously playing 24 bit FLAC MQA file over Airplay 2 would be silly since Airplay only supports 16/44.1...

This means even 16/44.1 RBCD is not bit perfect with Shairport Sync... as Mike Brady himself will also tell you...

Anyway that is not a complaint because Shairport Sync is free. But this is where the real/official Airplay support would be nice... There is no free lunch of course, as you know.

Have you ever thought to actually ask Apple the costs involved? Even just for information?

My very 1st post said I'd be happy to pay an extra $50 for official Airplay 2 and official Chromecast support - for the real thing not the free open source quasi version.

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Have another read of my initial post... I already mentioned MQA CD (not 24 bit MQA) plays fine over Airplay 2 to Airport Express... MQA light is on, with MQA DAC. This means official Airplay 2 is bit perfect with 16/44.1 (as you would expect for the real thing). Obviously playing 24 bit FLAC MQA file over Airplay 2 would be silly since Airplay only supports 16/44.1...

This means even 16/44.1 RBCD is not bit perfect with Shairport Sync... as Mike Brady himself will also tell you...

Anyway that is not a complaint because Shairport Sync is free. But this is where the real/official Airplay support would be nice... There is no free lunch of course, as you know.

Have you ever thought to actually ask Apple the costs involved? Even just for information?

My very 1st post said I'd be happy to pay an extra $50 for official Airplay 2 and official Chromecast support - for the real thing not the free open source quasi version.

I have been trying an MQACD sample from 2l. I converted it to WAV and ran it through the MQATagRestorer just in case. I'm playing the file here into a Mytek DAC via iTunes. It switches between 16 bit 44.1K and 24 bit and 352.8 K during playback...so it not consistent. The webpage you reference talks about SOX interpolation which has to do with re-sampling and Im not sure why he is talking about SOX. Anyway, seems like the developer of the app could get it to work better...maybe.  

Anyway, adding Airplay 2 is not on the roadmap at this time.   

On 5/5/2019 at 1:01 PM, vortecjr said:

This is not something I can help with because it's more likely than not a system or network issue. Also, we have not updated anything in this respect in a long time so I would not suspect that was an issue. Also, I just played some tracks here via iTunes and did not notice any issues. I don't use IDAGIO streaming and OVERCAST podcast streaming so I can't comment on them.   

Shareport seems to be working fine again for me. I just got done with an extensive listening session and all appears normal. I haven't a clue as to what happened. Thanks for your help.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

7 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

Shareport seems to be working fine again for me. I just got done with an extensive listening session and all appears normal. I haven't a clue as to what happened. Thanks for your help.

Sometimes things get into a weird state and a reboot of everything on the network helps. 

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Sometimes things get into a weird state and a reboot of everything on the network helps. 

lol...

I just thought of this. Day before yesterday we had a half hour power outage.  The next day I tested Shareport again and all was well. Looks like I you're right.

• 1 month later...

Thinking about buying an Apple product just so I can use native apps with my microrendu.

Does this shairport mode work just like Chromecast? Does Tidal and Google Play music work? Is the sound still OK VS upnp? 

Thinking about an older used ipad to do this. Will it function OK? Will only ever use these 2 apps. Do Apple still support these? Are they like older iPhone and you can't use the app store? 

Thanks for any info. 

Ps Chromecast would be a fantastic addition to the rendu series. 

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

4 hours ago, bunno77 said:

Thinking about buying an Apple product just so I can use native apps with my microrendu.

Does this shairport mode work just like Chromecast? Does Tidal and Google Play music work? Is the sound still OK VS upnp? 

Thinking about an older used ipad to do this. Will it function OK? Will only ever use these 2 apps. Do Apple still support these? Are they like older iPhone and you can't use the app store? 

Thanks for any info. 

Ps Chromecast would be a fantastic addition to the rendu series. 

If you are going to use old apple gear the only issue "might" be getting the player application from the App Store. iTunes will come automatically, but Roon controller might not install on all machines. It should work and it will sound for the mostly fine.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

If you are going to use old apple gear the only issue "might" be getting the player application from the App Store. iTunes will come automatically, but Roon controller might not install on all machines. It should work and it will sound for the mostly fine.

Thanks. I guess I will have to see if Tidal or Google Play will install before I buy but knowing Apple there probably won't be ongoing support.... 

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

Decided to try Shairport on the opticalrendu and the Apple TV 4k. Installed the app on the or and tweaked the settings on the Apple TV and voila, connected! But the levels are so low, I can't hear the music.  Any ideas? Roonready and NAA(sorta) work fine w/ the right levels - but the Shairport is too low using the Apple TV - levels are fine using Shairport w/ Roon.

• 3 weeks later...

sooo - back to this fun a few weeks later. well, duh. If you configure your Apple TV Airplay settings correctly, you will see your (not much to configure here) Shairport node available as an audio output. Woohoo! And it works - but you cannot hear the output - bah! 99% there. Start playing something. Pipe it to the orendu. Use the +/- button on your Apple TV remote to increase the output to the max. Done. Enjoy. 

I've never used the +/- Vol adjust on my Apple TV - I always used my EXO Blue Moon external for sound and volume control, thru the HDMI > Monitor > EXO.

Live and learn.

As usual I'm late to this party. Since purchasing the mRendu I've only used MPD/DLNA output mode for my library. No other need really as I don't use Roon, HQPlayer, or Squeeze-things and I've largely moved away from Apple devices. With the recent demise of Chromecast Audio (mine is still working BTW) I've been contemplating alternatives for internet radio streams. Well, having an old iPhone 6 laying around collecting dust I thought I'd try out Shairport. What a nice feature! Works flawlessly. Thank you @vortecjr. (I seem to be thanking you a lot lately 😁.)

1 hour ago, Melvin said:

As usual I'm late to this party. Since purchasing the mRendu I've only used MPD/DLNA output mode for my library. No other need really as I don't use Roon, HQPlayer, or Squeeze-things and I've largely moved away from Apple devices. With the recent demise of Chromecast Audio (mine is still working BTW) I've been contemplating alternatives for internet radio streams. Well, having an old iPhone 6 laying around collecting dust I thought I'd try out Shairport. What a nice feature! Works flawlessly. Thank you @vortecjr. (I seem to be thanking you a lot lately 😁.)

Thank you...enjoy!

• 5 months later...

I have Urendu and apple tv. When using urendu- shairport to see some video file (opera iso etc) through 'apple-tv app Infuse' and the soundtrack trough the music set, there is a gap between sound and video (this one delayed about 0.5 seconds). This is a bit annoying. 

Is there a solution? Has somebody had the same problem?

Thank you and sorry for my poor english.

7 hours ago, herriman said:

I have Urendu and apple tv. When using urendu- shairport to see some video file (opera iso etc) through 'apple-tv app Infuse' and the soundtrack trough the music set, there is a gap between sound and video (this one delayed about 0.5 seconds). This is a bit annoying. 

Is there a solution? Has somebody had the same problem?

Thank you and sorry for my poor english.

Unfortunately there is no solution because it is not intended to sync video and audio.

Isn't the ultraRendu still using the shairport-sync open source Airplay audio player/receiver application for its Shairport output function?

In which case shairport-sync should be able to fully synchronise the audio (it's in its name 🙂) with the AirPlay sending device, assuming the AirPlay audio sending device has properly enabled Airplay audio sync in the first place - definitely works when sending the audio using AirPlay on iPad video playing apps, for example.

So, could it be a problem with @herriman's Apple TV not properly supporting AirPlay audio sync as a sending device? For example, is the Apple TV's  firmware up to date?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

9 hours ago, herriman said:

Thank you Cebolla.

Among the software available to install inside the uR (software manager -available apps) shairport sync is not,

I don't know how to install other apps. I thought is not possible.

The Rendu series currently runs Sharport-sync 3.1.7.

9 hours ago, herriman said:

Among the software available to install inside the uR (software manager -available apps) shairport sync is not,

I don't know how to install other apps. I thought is not possible.

My post was intended as a direct response to @vortecjr's post. - sorry for any confusion the technical details may have caused you.

There's definitely nothing for you as the utraRendu user to find & install as far shairport-sync is concerned. However, it should be worth your while checking that your Apple TV's software is up to date.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

21 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The Rendu series currently runs Sharport-sync 3.1.7.

That release is just over 2 years old!

Is there any reason for not using a more recent release (latest release is 3.3.5), may be to at least release 3.3 with its audio & stability improvements and general enhancements?

-- Jo Cox

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

That release is just over 2 years old!

Is there any reason for not using a more recent release (latest release is 3.3.5), may be to at least release 3.3 with its audio & stability improvements and general enhancements?

All the apps will be updated in the release of Sonic Orbiter 2.8 which coming out soon.