IGNORED

Wireless DAC solution - cheap and functional

Hello,

I want to find a cheap and cheerful solution to be able to play music from various sources on my laptop (including Spotify) without a wired connection to my hifi.

I'm not looking for top-end audiophile components. Maybe I have come to the worng place, but my hifi is a 20-odd year old collection of technics separates which still sounds fine. I just need something that works elegantly. I looked at something called the Chord Gem, but that is out of my price range.

Can anyone suggest anythiing useful?

As mentioned above, the cheapest I know of is the Airport Express. You can have multiple ones and use one or more at a time. If you don't use itunes, you will need to buy airfoil to use other programs. I think that airfoil works on PC too.

$300: The next step up are the sqeezebox devices. They have their own software and some don't require a computer.

Then Sonos is a little more expensive. Googling these names should give you some info.

A simple mini-jack to RCA cable will connect an AirPort Express to any amplifier. Next step (in terms of quality) is to add a separate DAC via optical conenction.

If you use iTunes, you may want to consider the Apple TV as an alternative to the AirPort Express as you can then use that to listen to iTunes music (not Spotify, etc) independent of your computer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Audio_ELF> which rules out the Apple TV (it is also a lot more expensive than the Airport Express). I don't have an iPod (Nokia N97 does the job for me). Your comment about a separate DAC via optical connection interests me though. Is this much better than the mini-jack to RCA? How does it work with the Airport Express?

If I just opted for a wired USB DAC to RCA what sort of products are available that won't break my budget?

Is there any way to isolate the sound source doing this so I only get the sound from, say Spotify or Windows Media, rather than all the computer's noises for email arriving, etc? The Airfoil product seemed to solve this.

A separate DAC would sound much better but they cost a lot (relative to an airport express and $25 software). One of the cheaper ones I know of is the Musical Fidelity V series (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MFVDAC). To connect it to the airport use a toslink cable and an adapter (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQMINITO).

A USB DAC will only work with a computer, it will not work with an airport express or apple tv. This is a real budget buster ;)

Corey[br]Apple TV[br]Peachtree Audio nova[br]PS Audio Trio A100[br]B&W 602 s2

I currently have a laptop which is connected wireless to router, router is connected ethernet cable to Squeeze Duet receiver, which is connected to Dacmagic via coax, this in turn is connected via phono/Rca cables to pre amp.

Spotify is streamed so is iTunes on laptop to hifi. I can also connect via a usb to dac and play You Tube audio only , is it possible to play You Tube etc wireless?