IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just disabled a feature that I believe will fix the issue of jumping to the wrong location. 

Seems to be working fine now. Thanks also for changing the font size. Feels more like home again.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Seems to be working fine now. Thanks also for changing the font size. Feels more like home again.

Thanks for the update. 

I'm trying techniques to speed up the site. This one had very little gain for large pain, so it's on the permanent disable list now. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 11/8/2019 at 11:13 AM, mansr said:

Instead of tinkering with fonts, could you please figure out why the browser often, but not always, freezes up for about 10 seconds after loading an activity stream page? Everything is rendered, but clicking links does nothing. The mouse pointer doesn't even change when hovering over them. I'm running Firefox 70.0.1.

At least in my case, this seems to have something to do with notification sounds. On page load, the site javascript tries to open the sound device in case it should decide to play a sound at sound point, something I have never heard it actually do and would murder someone if it did. When the freeze-up occurs, it appears to be due to Firefox getting into an argument with itself over which process/thread should get the sound device, or something like that. Can you just disable anything and everything related to playing sounds? I'm sure nobody here wants to hear them anyway.

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

At least in my case, this seems to have something to do with notification sounds. On page load, the site javascript tries to open the sound device in case it should decide to play a sound at sound point, something I have never heard it actually do and would murder someone if it did. When the freeze-up occurs, it appears to be due to Firefox getting into an argument with itself over which process/thread should get the sound device, or something like that. Can you just disable anything and everything related to playing sounds? I'm sure nobody here wants to hear them anyway.

Try it now. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 11/11/2019 at 9:45 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I can't duplicate this with Firefox on macOS Catalina or Chrome.

If the right column advertisements extend further down the page than the posts, I wind up looking only at ads. And in general, because most often this problem takes us to the bottom or top Doubleclick banners, I'm guessing it has something to do with those ads or their containers. Turning on an ad blocker doesn't fix the problem, but that may be because even when the ads are blocked, their containers still do something to knock the page around.

jump-to-bottom.jpg.63ccdd3c16ceaa7a13efbfed678c5b4b.jpg

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

It's still messing with the sound device, and it's still showing the responsiveness problem.

I just disabled anything to do with sound. Please check now. 

Some members like to hear a notification when they receive a reply etc... I disabled it to see if it fixes your issue. 

22 minutes ago, left channel said:

If the right column advertisements extend further down the page than the posts, I wind up looking only at ads. And in general, because most often this problem takes us to the bottom or top Doubleclick banners, I'm guessing it has something to do with those ads or their containers. Turning on an ad blocker doesn't fix the problem, but that may be because even when the ads are blocked, their containers still do something to knock the page around.

jump-to-bottom.jpg.63ccdd3c16ceaa7a13efbfed678c5b4b.jpg

I was working on some other issues today and want to make sure I work on this one the most efficient way.

Can you let me know the steps you take to reproduce this one, browser, OS?

Thanks a ton.

SORRY, I see it above.

Hi @left channel Can you do me a favor, next time this happens, try putting your cursor into the URL / address bard to highlight it and just hit enter to load the same URL. Let me know if this works.

On a Windows machine I am experiencing some similar, but not the same, behavior as you. When I click a link form the activity stream it's loading a comment further up the thread. If I just reload the page by doing what I described above, the correct comment loads. 

Not that this is a solution, but I want to know if it's the same issue as you. 

16 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @left channel Can you do me a favor, next time this happens, try putting your cursor into the URL / address bard to highlight it and just hit enter to load the same URL. Let me know if this works.

On a Windows machine I am experiencing some similar, but not the same, behavior as you. When I click a link form the activity stream it's loading a comment further up the thread. If I just reload the page by doing what I described above, the correct comment loads. 

Not that this is a solution, but I want to know if it's the same issue as you. 

Yes, that works here too! Useful workaround.

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @left channel I just made a major change to how the site loads. Please let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

Sorry that did not resolve the issue. It still does not jump to last three posts on this page correctly, though it did land close enough to the post at the bottom to fool me at first. When I go up four posts (to the one with your video) it lands perfectly.

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just disabled anything to do with sound. Please check now.

Still opens and closes the sound device multiple times whenever a stream view is loaded. Sometimes it stays open indefinitely, sometimes it is closed after a few seconds. The final state seems to possibly affect whether it will freeze on a page refresh.

If I prevent Firefox accessing the sound device (by holding it open elsewhere), it all runs smoothly.

Part of the blame for this probably goes to the Nvidia drivers. Nevertheless, something changed in the last few weeks. Before that, I never experienced this problem.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Still opens and closes the sound device multiple times whenever a stream view is loaded. Sometimes it stays open indefinitely, sometimes it is closed after a few seconds. The final state seems to possibly affect whether it will freeze on a page refresh.

If I prevent Firefox accessing the sound device (by holding it open elsewhere), it all runs smoothly.

Part of the blame for this probably goes to the Nvidia drivers. Nevertheless, something changed in the last few weeks. Before that, I never experienced this problem.

Does this only happen on the activity stream page?