IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

8 minutes ago, Shimei said:

By white spacing are you meaning line-height in CSS?

That's one of the things a lot of people don't address when changing font size. When going smaller in font size the line height needs to be adjusted. And when going bigger the line height needs addressing. If for example someone increases font size there's then not enough space between lines and the word we are reading at the moment kinda blends into all those other words surrounding it. 

The kerning(?), spacing between characters of this font gives the sense of too much white space; as well as taking more screen real estate than necessary - that's how it comes across to me. There's conflict between the look of the fonts, for example, in the Unread Content page - for me, at the moment.

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The kerning(?), spacing between characters of this font gives the sense of too much white space; as well as taking more screen real estate than necessary - that's how it comes across to me. There's conflict between the look of the fonts, for example, in the Unread Content page - for me, at the moment.

CSS word-spacing. Here is another example before [increased] and after [decreased]. The second has reduced word-spacing:

79485964_1W.thumb.jpg.bcdf6792b61c0f5a84f3912e969efcd5.jpg

1588999823_2w.thumb.jpg.a1eb7f6f767fab0e49d41b0478cafea0.jpg

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht Speakers w/ Be high frequency upgrade [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers

Exaggerated reduced letter-spacing in CSS. Just thought with understanding CSS some might help the admin better to resolve the issue:

1365195750_1L.thumb.jpg.bff1a19b04f2b84afcef4ba0e0c19daf.jpg

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

9 minutes ago, Shimei said:

Just showing an example of css line height. First picture is this site while using 15px for font. Second picture is the same 15px but the line height adjusted to 1.0 [em]. I exaggerated the line height intentionally small in order to emphasize the change:

1.thumb.jpg.4c831cd5daf4068e1c98e6f8350da3ce.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.e034ded27d6cb9b2d11b4a72386d01fd.jpg

1 em is not (usually) the proper line height. In this example, it is clearly far too small. A properly designed font will give good results without manual adjustment. In special contexts like headings, a slight increase or decrease may be needed to achieve the desired look. Tweaking should not be necessary for regular text.

I'm using my personal theme's "default" font. Of course the default might be different from one site to another. In addition I tweaked it to:

line-height: 1.5em;

font-size: 1.1em;

Haven't had any complaints for a long time. Given I kinda targeted the eye sight of 40ish and above people. I gave up trying to tweak for everyone. Too many people have various sight problems. Have had people say this site is too difficult to read. Then they post a profile picture of them wearing glasses which look like they are seeing through the bottom of glass bottles. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Chris, please revert to how it was. It indeed looks childish.

I agree right away with everybody who claims (no, knows) that messing around with the spacing of fonts creates mess only. Already in the editor I lose "many" lines, only because of the current line spacing and a white line like I used above.

This is now the last line showing in the edit box.

I'm on a desktop (and am surprised that only 40 posts into this topic you started to set the font differently for the phone vs the desktop ?).

There never ever has been anything wrong in the so many changes regarding this. Now indeed I am suddenly on some odd site with amateur feel. Finally I can rightfully refer to my own forum.
Ha ! 🤩

I suppose you too now passed 40. Well, those oldies require reading glasses. It is as it is.

This is, mind you, quite different for a phone.  We use it in the car for reading-alone already, and we don't wear reading glasses in there when behind the wheel. Do whatever you like for that - without reading glasses it will never work for many, if not most. But you could try (to increase the current too thin font by a factor or two and then probably still no luck (and my phone already has increased font size from normal)).

IOW, forget that too and with reading glasses it was fine already. And this should count for all people, never mind the grade of reading glasses.

Do notice that (desktop) there's now suddenly an inconsistency already with 99,99% of other sites;

I'm afraid you're inventing wheels which are not going to run (rest of the world isn't going to listen).

image.png.f2f2ad0c9ef7093e26236b620ea69c21.png

(I tried to have this 1:1 unconverted, but it still needs clicking this thumb to see it unblurred - see the difference between the screenshot and my text (as long as it takes - haha).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Over the last few days, I've noticed that clicking on links to posts in the Activity Stream no longer bring you to the post itself but to the first post on the page. This means scrolling down to the bottom on the page to find and view the post of interest.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

6 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Over the last few days, I've noticed that clicking on links to posts in the Activity Stream no longer bring you to the post itself but to the first post on the page. This means scrolling down to the bottom on the page to find and view the post of interest.

I can’t reproduce this. 

can anyone else ?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

16 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

It works here.

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I can’t reproduce this. 

can anyone else ?

I’ve had it happen a couple of times in the last couple of days. Both on computer and on iPad.

ln the past—and maybe these times as well—it was often with threads that have a lot of photos. Specifically with STC’s Inside High End Equipment thread.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I can’t reproduce this. 

can anyone else ?

Safari on iPhone jumps to the very bottom of the thread, below all the posts, when selecting a post from the activity list, regardless if this is the last post or one somewhere in the middle.

Here’s what I see when selecting an existing post from activity feed:

E056F54D-FF18-4708-8981-DB2F4119F697.thumb.jpeg.7f8fb3b4af974f7d5c02d9e742eb6865.jpeg

Also, when clicking on the arrow to go to a quoted post from another post, the jump seems unpredictable and never to the actual quoted post.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Safari on iPhone jumps to the very bottom of the thread, below all the posts, when selecting a post from the activity list, regardless if this is the last post or one somewhere in the middle.

Here’s what I see when selecting an existing post from activity feed:

E056F54D-FF18-4708-8981-DB2F4119F697.thumb.jpeg.7f8fb3b4af974f7d5c02d9e742eb6865.jpeg

Also, when clicking on the arrow to go to a quoted post from another post, the jump seems unpredictable and never to the actual quoted post.

I'm seeing the same behavior with Safari on my desktop.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

On 11/8/2019 at 12:44 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:
On 11/8/2019 at 11:13 AM, mansr said:

Instead of tinkering with fonts, could you please figure out why the browser often, but not always, freezes up for about 10 seconds after loading an activity stream page? Everything is rendered, but clicking links does nothing. The mouse pointer doesn't even change when hovering over them. I'm running Firefox 70.0.1.

I ran into this last night and will debug today. I believe it’s an AJAX thing. 

Did you get anywhere with this? It is really quite annoying, much more so than the oversized fonts.

15 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I'm seeing the same behavior with Safari on my desktop.

Although the fonts look better, the behavior of jumping to the wrong location remains on Safari/iOS. What I see is that the initial click brings up the correct post for a split second and then jumps to the end of the thread or to a random near-by location in the thread. Sometimes this makes it  impossible to find the right post.

3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Although the fonts look better, the behavior of jumping to the wrong location remains on Safari/iOS. What I see is that the initial click brings up the correct post for a split second and then jumps to the end of the thread or to a random near-by location in the thread. Sometimes this makes it  impossible to find the right post.

What happens sometimes is that large images further up the page are slow to load, pushing the content down when they eventually do.

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Makes sense, but it’s very annoying. I’ve not noticed this behavior until recently, and I spend more time using the phone than I do the PC.

Browsers try to avoid this using a method they call scroll anchoring. Maybe something is interfering with it, or the Safari implementation has changed recently. Also make sure it's enabled in your browser, if it has a setting.