IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

53 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I also just enabled a feature that delays loading of javascript. It's supposed to speed up the site, but can cause issues. Please let me know if you see any weird issues. 

New member. Note the site is quick and transparent. That is, the site itself doesn't stop me from posting or engaging the community in a timely manner or lift my focus off the topics onto the site itself. Can't ask for much more than that. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht Speakers w/ Be high frequency upgrade [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thou doth protest too much, methinks. Only kidding mans. I couldn't resist. I'm sure if Troll Audio was how you made a living it would be a bit different. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 11.49.23 AM.png

That's a different typeface (Helvetica) which is slightly denser than the one you're using.

33 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Chris, I am severely myopic, so I usually welcome large text.

In general, when it comes to summary views, like topics in a forum, or in an activity stream, I like the size. It's only in individual posts that it seems a bit large. Maybe dial it down by 10%...

Just to clarify - I was talking about the desktop version, not mobile. Whatever you currently have on the mobile version (viewing on iPhone 7) looks perfect.

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes. That's what we used before Open Sans currently.

Something to consider. Instead of using fonts which require one to download ya may want to test without all the flare the default font. That's what I do and it minimizes the time it takes to download font because there is none to download. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

5 minutes ago, Shimei said:

Something to consider. Instead of using fonts which require one to download ya may want to test without all the flare the default font. That's what I do and it minimizes the time it takes to download font because there is none to download. 

Up until yesterday, that's what we did :~)

When I tried a bit larger font, I thought the default font was a bit strange. Something to test once more now that a size is being settle on. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

29 minutes ago, mansr said:

As does Chrome, but global scaling is too heavy-handed when only some parts of the page are outrageously sized.

Don't have access at the moment, but will see if the detailed font settings might help. 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Up until yesterday, that's what we did :~)

When I tried a bit larger font, I thought the default font was a bit strange. Something to test once more now that a size is being settle on. 

Understandable. And it may be helpful for users with sight impairment. The font size can be adjusted in the browser. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

If I were trying to use AS on a phone rather than a desktop on a regular basis, I'd probably have the disposition of a troll.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

25 minutes ago, Jud said:
55 minutes ago, mansr said:

As does Chrome, but global scaling is too heavy-handed when only some parts of the page are outrageously sized.

Don't have access at the moment, but will see if the detailed font settings might help.

I'm talking about the Android version. There is only a single, global scaling option that I can find. Desktop browsers support the Stylus extension, so it's all good there.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

I'm talking about the Android version. There is only a single, global scaling option that I can find.

Android version of the Vivaldi browser? (I'd neglected to think of the fact that I have an iPhone and therefore am only using Vivaldi in the desktop version until they make one for iPhone that I presume will use WebKit.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

51 minutes ago, Jud said:

Android version of the Vivaldi browser? (I'd neglected to think of the fact that I have an iPhone and therefore am only using Vivaldi in the desktop version until they make one for iPhone that I presume will use WebKit.)

Android version of any browser. I don't use any Apple devices.

14px is best, with this font - the visual balance of all the various text elements in a post looks 'wrong', 😄, at the moment - as people are saying, there is just too much white space; it throws me every time I look at it.

What I find works very well for me, is the look of this, similar, set of fonts - https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/getting_started/about/history.html

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

14px is best, with this font - the visual balance of all the various text elements in a post looks 'wrong', 😄, at the moment - as people are saying, there is just too much white space; it throws me every time I look at it.

What I find works very well for me, is the look of this, similar, set of fonts - https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/getting_started/about/history.html

By white spacing are you meaning line-height in CSS?

That's one of the things a lot of people don't address when changing font size. When going smaller in font size the line height needs to be adjusted. And when going bigger the line height needs addressing. If for example someone increases font size there's then not enough space between lines and the word we are reading at the moment kinda blends into all those other words surrounding it. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

2 minutes ago, Shimei said:

By white spacing are you meaning line-height in CSS?

That's one of the things a lot of people don't address when changing font size. When going smaller in font size the line height needs to be adjusted. And when going bigger the line height needs addressing. If for example someone increases font size there's then not enough space between lines and the word we are reading at the moment kinda blends into all those other words surrounding it. 

In most cases, the best result is achieved by leaving well enough alone and respecting the line height of the font.

8 minutes ago, mansr said:

In most cases, the best result is achieved by leaving well enough alone and respecting the line height of the font.

Just showing an example of css line height. First picture is this site while using 15px for font. Second picture is the same 15px but the line height adjusted to 1.0 [em]. I exaggerated the line height intentionally small in order to emphasize the change:

1.thumb.jpg.4c831cd5daf4068e1c98e6f8350da3ce.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.e034ded27d6cb9b2d11b4a72386d01fd.jpg

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i