IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the feedback. Going from a wide screen to this is kind of tough, but nearly all readability studies suggest this is the sweet spot with respect to number of characters and line length. 

I'm looking into the font size.

But aren't most of the readability studies done on the general population - which I guess we aren't.

- Richard.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

2 minutes ago, Elberoth said:

Yes, instead of separate threads (which were easy to browse) it returns gazzilion of separate posts. Unreadible !

Perhaps you need to look before you speak. Try this in the attachment. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 4.36.02 PM.png

Just now, richard kimber said:

But aren't most of the readability studies done on the general population - which I guess we aren't.

- Richard.

Good question. I am unsure. I need a meta study of all the studies :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the feedback. Going from a wide screen to this is kind of tough, but nearly all readability studies suggest this is the sweet spot with respect to number of characters and line length. 

I'm looking into the font size.

Studies also show that cables don't matter.

Is there a setting somewhere that gives a way of getting notifications without the accompanying audio ping - i.e just onscreen notifications?

- Richard

Ah sorry

ignore that. I found it.

- Richard

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

An esthetic remark. I miss the blue graphic elements of the 'old' site. The black ones are (look) heavy and slightly depressing IMO. Shaded black would be nicer and look lighter but the real 'audio' color IMO (I researched this subject years ago :)) is blue. Even the gear designers like to use blue diodes (or other luminescent elements) despite the fact that they are as far as I know usually much more expensive than for example green or red ones.

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

Studies also show that cables don't matter.

So if all CA readers don't find the new style more readable, this proves cables matter? ;)

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

+1

To which post number?  Oh, wait....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hmm, not so sure about combining posts now - the last one combined two replies of mine to two different people several minutes apart, which might become confusing.  Let's see if this one gets combined too.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, Jud said:

Hmm, not so sure about combining posts now - the last one combined two replies of mine to two different people several minutes apart, which might become confusing.  Let's see if this one gets combined too.

I suspect it does that if you make multiple posts with nobody posting in between.

39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the feedback. Going from a wide screen to this is kind of tough, but nearly all readability studies suggest this is the sweet spot with respect to number of characters and line length. ...

That may be the sweet spot for a news anchor's auto-queue, but it is not at all suited for presenting technical information and audiophile arguments (which tend to be rather elaborate). I want to see as much text and information from posts as possible. This format may be good for mobile devices, but IMO it's far from optimal for browsing/searching an audio forum with a decent computer and screen.    

11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Now to figure out a usable "threads I follow with with new posts" view...

Ok, you can add a new activity stream which lists "unread content" (threads) with the "content you follow" view.  Or you can use the "content you follow view" but that posts duplicate posts of the same thread.  I want the "last unread post" from the "content you follow" activity stream with no dupes.

Condensed or expanded with no dupes would do it!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

4 minutes ago, SamuelTCogley said:

Hi Chris

Thanks for all your work on this!  I'd like to add my voice to the others that the new format is too narrow for desktops.  I'm sure it's ideal for phones and tablets, but isn't there a way to have it look at the User Agent string and give a wider presentation for a desktop browser?

+1

Keeping the left margin with the avatars, and the right margin with the adverts fixed and having the central section with the text flow according to window width would be good. Also, I personally find the black on white colour scheme a bit harsh - I'd prefer a gentler background than pure white.

- Richard

18 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Ok, you can add a new activity stream which lists "unread content" (threads) with the "content you follow" view.  Or you can use the "content you follow view" but that posts duplicate posts of the same thread.  I want the "last unread post" from the "content you follow" activity stream with no dupes.

I had no trouble getting the view I think you're after. Just mess with the controls until it displays what you want, then save the settings as a new "stream" which you can also make the default view. It's not immediately obvious what all the options do, but just about anything is possible.

21 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Sorry Larry, but I've now created 4 different Activity Streams and none of them list just  one entry per thread (subscribed threads containing new posts).

Heck, at this point I'd even be happy with a Thread List of my Subscribed threads, with the ones having the the most recent posts (read or not) show up at the top.  That's essentially what the old app's Subscribed tab did.

Thanks,

ALEX

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

I had no trouble getting the view I think you're after. Just mess with the controls until it displays what you want, then save the settings as a new "stream" which you can also make the default view. It's not immediately obvious what all the options do, but just about anything is possible.

Can you take a screen shot of your custom activity stream settings that yield the view (of just threads I subscribe to that have most recent activity on top) which I describe above?  I keep trying...

Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Can you take a screen shot of your custom activity stream settings that yield the view (of just threads I subscribe to that have most recent activity on top) which I describe above?  I keep trying...

Does this show enough to replicate?

Screenshot_20170319-232735.png