IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Or another reputable password app, such as LastPass.

Or Keeper. At work we use Ping ID, the host web application sends a request to Ping ID, which sends an encrypted to request to a phone app. Enter a refreshed code to type in of six digits or fingerprint to authenticate, then the app opens. We had to go through several hoops to provide authentication, email & SMS in the beginning, it's seamless and very reliable, even works on crappy network phone connections.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Little site update just completed. Let me know if you have any issues. 

Clicking on the latest update timestamp for either a forum or a thread now sends one to the very first post of the thread in question when one isn't logged in. When logged in, it would go to the last post as before.

8 hours ago, accwai said:

Clicking on the latest update timestamp for either a forum or a thread now sends one to the very first post of the thread in question when one isn't logged in. When logged in, it would go to the last post as before.

Yes, it is annoying.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

14 hours ago, accwai said:

5 hours ago, matthias said:

Yes, it is annoying.

Matt

I can reproduce this and will see what's going on. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

OK, we can blame Google for the change making clicking on the time stamp go to the first post rather than the newest post. The change was made for Google search engine optimization because Google is the only game in town and likes it this way. This bugs me to no end, trust me. 

I was invited to a Google webmaster conference for about 200 people and was appalled at everything I heard there. The old school Googlers were great and kept pushing the fact that search engine optimization was all about writing good content, but 90% of the Googlers were on a different page and pushed the company into new directions that require crazy and stupid optimizations and also enable Google to keep traffic on its platforms. Don't get me started on this!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I use Neeva all day every day. I wish everyone else did too :~)

Last time I looked at Neeva, they weren't using their own search algorithm.  My wife and I were beta testers at one point but really saw no significant difference.  We also didn't like having to be logged into Google in order to access Neeva.  Has anything changed recently?

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

I certainly didn’t need to log into Google (Chrome). Any browser will do (I use Vivaldi). And on iPhone I use the app (which uses my default Brave Browser while I wait for Vivaldi for iPhone).

Do they have their own search algorithm now?

Are search results based on the number of times users click on a particular link, or are they based primarily on relevance like they were in the early days of the internet search?

3 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Do they have their own search algorithm now?

Are search results based on the number of times users click on a particular link, or are they based primarily on relevance like they were in the early days of the internet search?

Their “own” algorithm isn’t the problem (with them or Google) regarding decreasing relevance of search results. Read the excellent article by James Fallows that I linked that demonstrates with examples exactly what’s going on.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's pretty crazy given that I get vastly different results between Google and Bing, without even using Neeva :~)

Hence, my original question asking if something has changed since my days as a beta tester. 🙂

I don't want to further hijack this thread. I'll have a look at Neeva again sometime. 

1 minute ago, Abtr said:

You mean it can't be fixed? Then why show the link? Now it looks like a bug and it can be quite annoying for non-members browsing the forum or following some topics..

Here was my response when the issue was first reported. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31209-the-new-ca-issues-and-feedback-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1166234