IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

2 hours ago, Jud said:

I'm sure you wouldn't feel it was at all humorous or appropriate if someone from this forum contacted your employer. I'm guessing Alex regrets that.

Yes, I do regret that threat, BUT I would never have followed through with that threat born out of desperation to try  and stop the endless personal attacks from 2 members in particular, one of whom I get on well these days and is on  my regular emailing list for interesting and occasionally naughty items. We don't hear from him these days because he is in a desperate personal situation.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Perhaps you weren't here when he contacted Professor Scott's place of employment :~)

Chris

That is a damn lie. I NEVER followed through on that threat  born out of desperation, and I would NEVER have done so.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Perhaps you weren't here when he contacted Professor Scott's place of employment :~)

I had no idea it was him that did that.

He obviously doesn't understand how a university works.

I could say some other things but won't

22 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I had no idea it was him that did that.

He obviously doesn't understand how a university works.

I could say some other things but won't

I would hope that Professor Scott didn't tell people that I had actually done that  , as it is would be a complete and utter lie just like several from  you that are easily verified by Chris using his Admin powers. 

I have already mentioned the 2nd person involved that I now get on very well with. He and Bill Scott used to be good buddies, and I am damn sure that he would set the record straight.

Jud and Chris will know who I am referring to here.

29 minutes ago, mansr said:

You still see replies directed at ignored users, and the general thread disruption still happens unless everybody ignores that person.

@The Computer Audiophile, seriously, why do you keep giving Alex a pass with his nasty behaviour? You've banned others in a heartbeat for far less.

One example please. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

I would hope that Professor Scott didn't tell people that I had actually done that  , as it is would be a complete and utter lie just like several from  you that are easily verified by Chris using his Admin powers. 

I have already mentioned the 2nd person involved that I now get on very well with. He and Bill Scott used to be good buddies, and I am damn sure that he would set the record straight.

Jud and Chris will know who I am referring to here.

I thought you actually contacted his employer. My fault for accusing you of this. 

Perhaps I mixed you up with the person who actually contacted Paul’s employer. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

29 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I thought you actually contacted his employer. My fault for accusing you of this. 

Perhaps I mixed you up with the person who actually contacted Paul’s employer. 

I don't know anything about anyone contacting Paul's employer, and it is the first time that I have seen this mentioned.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

You still see replies directed at ignored users, and the general thread disruption still happens unless everybody ignores that person.

@The Computer Audiophile, seriously, why do you keep giving Alex a pass with his nasty behaviour? You've banned others in a heartbeat for far less.

I don't claim to be  a saint, however with many replies that I make in the General Forum area there is what appears to be a coordinated attack on me by the same members over and over again. Mansr, Ralf 11 and Kumakuma with me being ridiculed, deliberately misquoted or incorrectly accused of lying .

43 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

I am going to chime in here -- I don' thave any axe's to grind, but have someimtes had minor run-ins with people.  Generally, the problem with people being irritated isn't always one sided.  There are sometimes misunderstood hot-spots with people triggered when the smallest amount of enthusiasm is expressed -- I just ran inot someone on another forum who appears to have some kind of sensitivity -- but stuff like that happens.

Back in the early '90s, when the internet as we know it now started blossoming, there were lots of people with strong egos, trying to make their mark on the world.  There were others, like me, just trying to do good things while enjoying it.  I had NO idea or goal that my internet work would turn into a hyper high paying job -- I didn't care.  All kinds of such egos interfere with each other all of the time -- then there are the individuals who are just jerks -- sometimes those total jerks end up becoming famous -- I think you know the 'L' word who I am speaking about.

There were flame wars all over the place, especially when people would dismiss someone else's superior good works -- because that was they only way to salve their own egos.  Those nay-sayers often couldn't keep up no matter how hard they worked.   The situation was a terrible mess!!!

I finally gave up when the next crop of testosterone laced big egos came into the internet technology stuff, and after getting sick -- I just disappeared.  I was done with the whole mess.

The amount of abuse was terrifying by todays standards, and the arguments I see here are not all that big a deal. I was being email baited all of the time, then publically put in a position of ridicule -- there were really insidiously evil people back in the wild west days.   People shouldn't get angry on complaints about something that they haven't spent 5yrs practically FULL TIME to perfect.  I am not speaking of the DHNRDS here, but something else that was a much larger, but less tricky project.  We had much more person-power on FreeBSD, but still there were too many people with strong egos and philosophical economic idealism about the licensing on the other project that caused FreeBSD to fall behind (After I left, FreeBSD eventually had troubles keeping up with the nasty/gritty kernel technologies that I liked to work on.)  I didn't like the 'kewl' stuff, but rather the innards of the system -- how to deal with the little timing issues/etc.  Stupid people (like me) who don't care about doing the cool stuff are a bit fewer and farther between than people who like filesystems named after themselves (e.g. Reiser), or naming an OS after themelves, and stuff like that.

Anyway -- sometimes it is best just to blow off a minor disagrement.  There ARE very important subjects -- like MQA.  The potential damage from MQA and its ilk is VERY important, but there are also less important things like:  mp3 sucks or whatever.   Or disagrements about perception.  JUST DON"T GET ANGRY!!!

People do say/write the most regrettable things when allowing themselves to become angry.  Someitmes they say worthless things when trying to help...  Oh well...  Just don't get angry when there really isn't all that much skin in the game.

John

Great post John. 

21 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I don't claim to be  a saint, however with many replies that I make in the General Forum area there is what appears to be a coordinated attack on me by the same members over and over again. Mansr, Ralf 11 and Kumakuma with me being ridiculed, deliberately misquoted or incorrectly accused of lying .

Please use the ignore feature. Then you can exist blissfully ignorant of their posts. 

Please use the ignore feature. Then you can exist blissfully ignorant of their posts. 

That will result in other members assuming that I am unable to dispute the contents of their posts which are aimed at me , which is exactly what they are trying to achieve. That is, NEUTRALISE me.

Just now, sandyk said:

That will result in other members assuming that I am unable to dispute the contents of their posts which are aimed at me , which is exactly what they are trying to achieve. That is, NEUTRALISE me.

If that’s what you believe, then so be it. I think the people here are smart enough to understand how conversations and Internet forums work. I wouldn’t be so concerned with it. 

Reminds me of this: 

72F665B5-145A-4A8F-BD5A-DE3C30AAA64E.png

Chris

You will currently see exactly the same kind of tactics from the same 3 members, being used against Blackmorec and others too. even when I am not presently posting in the thread.

Have an example?

Chris

I am about to pull the plug for the night, but you should find examples in the " Bits are Bits" thread

2 hours ago, Jud said:

It's very obvious that Alex will always reply to particular kinds of posts. There are other folks who can't seem to stop themselves being the other side of the argument. 

Meanwhile, on another forum in which he was involved, Alex led a drive to raise money for another member whose child had cancer. I'll say that because it appears Alex would never praise himself that way. So: here, endless arguments (though you'll notice even here Alex is a wealth of knowledge on DIY matters if you look); there, a pillar of the community.

Recognize the role we play, and think about what we can do to help people be their best selves.

Wow, that's why you get the big bucks. 

46 minutes ago, austinpop said:

This is a good point, and a feature I have long wanted.

@The Computer Audiophile

Does the AS platform allow the option of suppressing not just posts by users on the ignore list, but also posts by any user that quotes the ignored user? I would see it as another checkbox on the Ignore User option.

I would greatly appreciate such an option.

It would be a great feature but it isn't available yet.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

This is a good point, and a feature I have long wanted.

@The Computer Audiophile

Does the AS platform allow the option of suppressing not just posts by users on the ignore list, but also posts by any user that quotes the ignored user? I would see it as another checkbox on the Ignore User option.

I would greatly appreciate such an option.

How about some AI to also ignore post from users who share the same beliefs as the folks who are on the ignore list?

Done right, it would create an Echo Chamber Effect that both objectivists and subjectivists would find equally pleasing.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull